PDA

View Full Version : Please Acknowledge Coach Few

McZag
03-21-2009, 08:46 PM
The second half defensive guard adjustments won this game. A perfectfully masterful job by Coach Few and company. 28 wins. Outstanding.

jim77
03-21-2009, 08:56 PM
Amen.

CodeCobalt
03-21-2009, 08:58 PM
Word to your moms.

thank you Coach Few, and all that you've brought to our school and town.

GoZAGsMang
03-21-2009, 08:58 PM
Giving Meech some time was key and the inside outside stuff was beautiful.

Grad Zag
03-21-2009, 09:00 PM
I'm glad you brought him up because I thought few did a hell of a job coaching tonight. He had some set plays out of timeouts that worked to perfection. The give and go between Heytvelt and pargo, and the posting up Mendez to start the second half. Great Job coaching staff and team!!

ZagLawGrad
03-21-2009, 09:00 PM
Indeed

johnwzag
03-21-2009, 09:12 PM
I said it once tonight. I will say it again. Mark Few is an excellent coach. :)

rawkmandale
03-21-2009, 09:14 PM
From CBSsportsline.com:

He made this one after a furious Western Kentucky comeback, capped by Pettigrew's tip-in, a shot that might have forced some coaches to call timeout to regroup. But give Gonzaga's Mark Few credit. He did nothing. He had spoken to his team during a previous timeout and told players that if something like that happened to push the ball up court and go for the victory.

"I told them, 'If they score, let's get it out and go,' " Few said. "'We've got good guards out there, and let's push it up and see if we can't get something going to the rim.' I was very confident with 'Meach' [Goodson] having the ball in his hands. He's a terrific finisher and has a real knack for splitting gaps and getting to the rim."

And there was a big one here. To Goodson's credit, he recognized it, pushed the ball as far as he felt comfortable, then stopped to take the runner. When the ball went through there was 0.9 seconds left, and the game was decided.

bballbeachbum
03-21-2009, 09:19 PM
I love Coach Few!!!

Coach Few, sincerely, thank you.

Thank you.

:cheers:

zag67
03-21-2009, 09:29 PM
Great job coach and also to all of your assistants and players. The team have been fun to watch all year and the coaches deserve a lot of the credit.

GonzagaDynasty
03-21-2009, 09:36 PM
How do you guys like our PG for the next 3 years? I think I like it a lot!!
ANd Coach Few, NOBODY can complain about you now!

Nevtelen
03-21-2009, 10:05 PM
Mad Props.

zaguarxj
03-21-2009, 10:06 PM
:allhail:

Juanzaga
03-21-2009, 10:37 PM
I was amongst those who critcized Mark Few last season and for that reason have kept my mouth shut this year. I have come to believe he is an excellent coach who has improved his in-game abilities but more importantly, no one nationwide operates a classier program than Mark Few.

Listening to the testimony of his seniors after the game on Senior Night convinced me that when Few says good things happen to those who stay in the program at Gonzaga he is absolutely right. I feel very lucky to get be a small part of this Gonzaga family and am now convinced we are blessed to have Mark Few as our coach and certainly hope he feels the same.

I hope he stays forever. The enjoyment and fun his program has brought to my family is immeasureable.

SpudDawg
03-21-2009, 10:45 PM
I'm with Grad Zag -- I remarked tonight to Mrs. SpudDawg that I've been very impressed with the coaching of late re: play calling coming out of timeouts and breaks. The Zags have been running some highly effective and interesting plays.

rawkmandale
03-21-2009, 10:47 PM
Nice post, Juanzaga. I hope Coach Few reads it - along with his outstanding assistants. Have you noticed how many times the Coach acknowledges his assistants? Many more times than other coaches.

BilboZaggins
03-21-2009, 10:52 PM
In the post game interview Few said they debated between going with Heyvelt or Meech.

Guess Few made the right choice.

JLGutrocks
03-21-2009, 11:41 PM
How about the out-of-the-half punch in the mouth reversal of bigs-to-smalls to give OVM his 3rd and put him on the bench? Few is a master (with the help of his awesome staff) in making 1/2 time adjustments. You ROCK Mark. Let's kick some ass in Memphis.....AGAIN.

B Wayne
03-22-2009, 12:40 AM
I watched the game at Jack and Dan's. After the last timeout, with less than a minute to go, I noticed that Josh Heytvelt didn't return to the game, after just scoring a crucial basket. I pointed this out to everyone in our area. I then said "Let's see who Coach Few repaced for Josh!" I then determined and told everyone it was Goodson.

We quickly concluded that Coach Few made this substitution for defensive purposes. (WK was taking the ball out) We were all a little puzzled. Well a sudden flurry occurred, WK tied the game on a tip in...the Zags took the ball out with about 9 seconds to go, and well...the rest is history. Pure genius,Coach Few!

zagnut52
03-22-2009, 03:05 AM
Coach Few is worth every penny he is paid IMO....way to go Coach Few!!!!! Woo-hoo!!!:D

Air Force Zag
03-22-2009, 03:49 AM
In my line of work, being termed "tactically sound" in thought and action is high praise. We all know about Coach Few's halftime adjustments -- as part of the "game within a game," I really look forward to them, as the staff inevitably comes up with a brilliant shift or new wrinkle -- Mark Few and team are just plain hard to beat from an X's and O's standpoint. There was, however, considerable handwringing this season about our coaching staff's ability to make the in-game adjustment. It's worth pointing out that perhaps the most important adjustment was the defensive adjustment made midway through the first half by gluing Meech to OMV -- a move which fundamentally stalled Western Kentucky's early momentum and changed the complexion of the game.

Here's to our tactically sound coach and his staff for a masterful game!

Psychozag
03-22-2009, 04:41 AM
In the post game interview Few said they debated between going with Heyvelt or Meech.

Guess Few made the right choice.

This is what I don't like when people question a coach's decisions; often times they are based on the outcome. If Meech misses that shot, then everyone would be saying that Few made a bad decision because if Josh were in then he would have not given up that put-back rebound. It is always easier being an armchair coach with the benefit of hindsight.

TheCroatian
03-22-2009, 05:08 AM
Coach Few and co. have been awesome. I hope they know they are appreciated.

Coach Graves hasn't been too shabby either.

Argentum
03-22-2009, 05:19 AM
This is what I don't like when people question a coach's decisions; often times they are based on the outcome. If Meech misses that shot, then everyone would be saying that Few made a bad decision because if Josh were in then he would have not given up that put-back rebound. It is always easier being an armchair coach with the benefit of hindsight.

I was not happy with the Daye for Heytvelt substitution at 2 minutes preceding the 9 point WK come back because I felt like Austin had really struggled this game and Josh had just scored an and one inside. Of course Gray and Bouldin had the turnovers in the next couple possessions so it wasn't necessarily Austin's fault for the late game swoon- I just didn't like the mojo of taking Josh (and our best post threat) out at that point. I'm all for putting Meech in for perimeter D at the end of games, but yesterday I would have rather he subbed in for Daye instead of Heytvelt at 25 seconds. All that said I think Coach Few does (and did) a great job I'm completely thrilled with how everything worked out. I'm really hoping Austin can bounce back and have a big game against Carolina because we're going to need it to advance.

Zagger
03-22-2009, 05:36 AM
When 8 players play and they all score points - Yee Haw! Someone's doing something right (x 8). Few knows his team. The old "Hold 'em or fold 'em" song comes to mind. Few and the gang have their work cut out for them on Friday. The Zags beat UNC in '06. It'll take the same all out effort they showed against WKU to beat UNC again.

O'Zag
03-22-2009, 05:53 AM
I watched Coach Few as he left the floor and entered the tunnel after the game. He took a couple minutes to acknowledge the fans with smiles, high fives and handshakes. First class in all diminsions of coaching.

misszigzag
03-22-2009, 06:14 AM
Few made good decisions, adjustments, and he was patient. It was a beautifully coached game.

More than anything, he really believed in these guys and it paid off big time.

:D

TacomaZAG
03-22-2009, 07:05 AM
this year and in years past as much as anyone, but he pulled the right strings this weekend. The specifics have been mentioned earler in this thread, but the first 5 minutes of the second half is what put this game in the Zags hands. We went from 2 down to 4 or 5 up, game changing swing. Meech shut down MV, great adjustment. Also, having Matt at the point in the half court set has been brilliant.

I bet he's got some more adjustments up his sleeve for NC, can't wait.

Go ZAGS

gu03alum
03-22-2009, 07:12 AM
The thing that I was most impressed with was the teams ability to make a good play each and every time coming out of a timeout. Whether it was on offense or defense, Coach Few had the right play drawn up and the players were prepared to execute.

MickMick
03-22-2009, 07:29 AM
Amen

krozman
03-22-2009, 07:31 AM
Without Coach Few we don't win half our games IMO. Leadership, competance, and swift kicks in the rear are the qualities of a true mentor.

primal23
03-22-2009, 07:35 AM
TY Mr. Few! :allhail: :allhail:

gamagin
03-22-2009, 07:36 AM
we got ourselves a team. And our coach keeps it that way, by trusting the team and changing it around for maximum efficiency. and it has worked.

Go TEAM Zags !

doug2
03-22-2009, 07:40 AM
The Zags are so good on the offensive side, it's easy to overlook their improvements on defense this year. I thought Meech on Valdez was the key to the game, which brings me to my only criticism: why did we go to a zone at the end? Taking Meech offf Valdez gave him freedom to get his shot going again and bring WKU almost all the way back. If something is working, why change it.

I also didn't understand bringing Daye back in at the end for Josh. Josh had just banked a shot and added a free throw and was looking strong at the rim, so take him out? I didn't get that.

A poor decison to zone and leave Valdez more freedom to shoot almost cost us the game. Fortunately, the players stepped up and saved the day. Kind of like what many of us have no doubt experienced at work: employees going the extra mile to save the company from the boss' bad decision(s).

B Wayne
03-22-2009, 08:01 AM
The Zags were down at the end of the first half. At the beginning of the second half, on what appeared to be a drawn up play, Bouldin scored on the low post against Mendez Valdez. Matt got the bucket, and more importantly, the 3rd foul on M-V. WKU then had to sit Mendez Valdez for several critical minutes at the beginning of the second half and the Zags went on a run.

doug2
03-22-2009, 08:24 AM
In the post above I didn't say much about what I liked about the game and there was a lot to like. The team is fun to watch and obviously the outcome was terrific.

The team excells at setting up good shots with ball movement. I think they're at their best when the guards post up or drive the lane. When they do this, we usually get good looks at the basket and/or force the opponents to foul. Getting to the one-and-one or double bonus early has been a key for us.

The Zags have good schemes, good execution and good chemistry. None of that happens without good players and good coaching.

bigblahla
03-22-2009, 08:57 AM
Coach and staff have been top notch in keeping the guys focused and making in game adjustments. We are truly blessed to have such good people guiding our Zags.

Go!! Zags!!!

BobZag
03-22-2009, 09:23 AM
Four Sweet 16s in his tenure, and really, the mastermind of the '99 Elite Eight run. I'll take him. :)

doug2
03-22-2009, 10:50 AM
Here's an interesting article about Rick Pitino, another good coach. Uncontested shots is a key game stat for him. Good coaches like Pitino and the Zag's make a difference, no question.

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/mens_basketball/articles/2009/03/20/pitinos_motto_team_works/?page=2

bartruff1
03-22-2009, 11:32 AM
Am I supposed to be surprised ...I have been watching for 10 years and 260 + wins...

UberZagFan
03-22-2009, 02:38 PM
Thank you Coach Few for not calling a timeout after WKU tied it.

With that said, why did you take out Josh and allow WKU to be in position to tie it with a tip in, all the while knowing that Meech would take it the length and hit the game winning shot? Uber wants those ten years back!!! :D