• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Angelo Roncalli
    Bleeds Bulldog Blue
    • Feb 2007

180 Guys

On College Game Day, Majerus was talking about his way of evaluating exceptional shooters: add their FG% and their 3PTFG% and their FT% together. If the combined number is > 180, then they're "outstanding" shooters.

Raivio: .453 + 409 + .961 = 182.3
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor
  • meadgrad02
    Kennel Club Material
    • Feb 2007

I would think that there aren't too many guys that fall into this category, that's quite a feat to accomplish...
    "To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift..."

--Steve Prefontaine--

Comment

• Rubbadub
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

I know he's not trying to be scientific or anything but in this formula free throw % is pretty much as important as fg and 3 point % combined if not more. Further proof that the formula is a little off? Dwight Howard and Al Harrington, both centers, are pretty close to 1800 in this formula and have about the same score as Ray Allen.
      sigpic Just Foo'in around.

Comment

• gamagin
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Never seen or heard of that one before. but it makes sense.

and yes, my guess is the ft IS as important as the 3pt shot, maybe more important, given the tempo of so many games and the fact that many, many games are won or lost at the charity stripe.
        Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
        Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
        Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• sonicfan84
          Redshirt
          • Mar 2007

It does seem a bit random, but when see the players that qualify, it does makes sense in the end. Especially when it is a guard hitting that number. Go DRav.

Comment

• FuManShoes
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Seems this is more a measure of offensive efficiency than shootery. If a guy makes most of his shots near the basket, is a good FT shooter and makes an occasional three, he will be off the charts. Case in point, JP Batista:
            2004-05: .605 FG + .802 FT + .500 3P = 190.7
            2005-06: .589 FG + .833 FT + .375 3P = 179.7
            “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Comment

• sonuvazag
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

A minimum number of three's should be attempted to qualify for the formula.
              Agent provocateur

Comment

• Zag79
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

a minimum attempt for 3s would help spell that problem, but as far as bigs go i still think its useful. it would show the bigs that can make their bunnies AND their FT, 2 impt factors for bigs.

Comment

• sonuvazag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

so, as is, it's really a measure of shot and scoring efficiency
                  Agent provocateur

Comment

• kdoggy
                    Kennel Club Material
                    • Feb 2007

Stockton and Nash....

that was that figure I was looking for a few weeks back. They are the few guys that were able to put that up during their prime.

Comment

Working...
                    X