PDA

View Full Version : Orlando Mendez-Valdez.......

zagfan23
03-21-2009, 07:29 PM
Is. Legit. It does not disappoint me that we will never have to play him again.

gonwick
03-21-2009, 08:21 PM
Agreed, tremendously talented tonight, out of his mind shooting like Curry last year. After watching the last minutes of the game multiple times, though, OMV clearly got away with a foul on Matt, after Matt slipped to the ground. OMV came in with a shoulder check on Matt and kept him from any chance to get to the ball, leading to the turnover and subsequent score. Mercifully, Meech kept it from mattering, or I'd be crying in my beer tonight.

rawkmandale
03-21-2009, 08:25 PM
Well, perhaps OM-V and the kid from North Dakota State can take their game a level higher. Hope they get a shot.

Nevtelen
03-21-2009, 09:42 PM
Great article about Mendez-Valdez in the Chicago paper today, like from Meehan.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-21-morrissey-ncaa-tournamentmar21,0,3817581.column

Man, that kid played the game of his life today. Whew. I hope he does get to play at the next level - he really deserves it. A kid like that will get a look somewhere. Man. 7-10 from 3 with some crazy shots that were all net.

thespywhozaggedme
03-21-2009, 09:45 PM
Nice article on him:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-21-morrissey-ncaa-tournamentmar21,0,3817581.column

jim77
03-21-2009, 09:50 PM
Despite his lack of wheels...the guys BB IQ is off the charts. Getting him off the court gut us a breather and Meech checking him help too. That kid gets more form his abilites than just about anybody I've ever seen. To think he didn't even get much playing time till this year and winning POY in the Sunbelt conference. He's an incredible player. He should get a look get a look by the pro's...you can't teach what that kids got.

zagette
03-21-2009, 09:59 PM
After watching the last minutes of the game multiple times, though, OMV clearly got away with a foul on Matt, after Matt slipped to the ground. OMV came in with a shoulder check on Matt and kept him from any chance to get to the ball, leading to the turnover and subsequent score.

They keep harping on the missed time-out call at 0.9 seconds. What about the missed foul call on OMV/Matt? Grrr. "Questionable finish", my bum.

bballbeachbum
03-21-2009, 10:31 PM
Stud. My kind of player, I mean, everybody's kind of player! A ballplayer's ballplayer and more.

Made a heck of a lot out of that one real year of opportunity! That's so awesome, inspiring man!!!

Wish we didn't have to play you....

:cheers:

RenoZag
03-21-2009, 10:35 PM
OMV played well but his cross body block on Bouldin was a cheap shot.

bballbeachbum
03-21-2009, 10:37 PM

missed it. tell me please.

applezag
03-21-2009, 10:39 PM
Agreed. I liked him vs. Illinois, and despite the opponent loved him vs. GU. The guy just plays the game the right way. A very clever, savvy player. He does more than just shoot. He made some very intelligent plays when the defense broke down trying to contest his shooting. Kept an even keel the whole time out there and just kept his motor going. He was a player who did not deserve to lose tonight--but I'm a-okay with that.

RenoZag
03-21-2009, 10:41 PM
missed it. tell me please.

If you watch the replays of the end of game sequence; when Matt loses the ball near the center line, OMV takes dead aim and lands a body block on Bouldin as there's a mad scramble for the ball.

I saw it clearly on the two ESPN replays of the game highlights during the Sportscenter at 10:00 pm and in the highlight shown in the abbreviated SportsCenter between 9:00 pm and 10 pm.

Not saying OMV is a dirty player, just that on that particular play, he got away with a cheap shot

If the GU game is the lead highlight at 11:00 pm, you can probably see the sequence I'm describing.
Like I said, I don't think OMV is a dirty player, in my mind on that particular play I think he got away with a cheap shot on Matt. B.

kdoggy
03-21-2009, 10:42 PM
every year the tournament will feature some player that leaves you with "wow, how come i have never heard of that guy"

He had me extremely worried after Thursdays game. What a nightmare matchup for the Zags.

I love his style, can really put teams on their heals with his range and passing. He reminded me of Nash-ty.

FuManShoes
03-21-2009, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by RenoZag

I'd quibble with that description. Dude is a gamer who wanted the ball and was trying to make a play. It was a blatant foul, but I wouldn't call it cheap. The no-call was cheap.

bballbeachbum
03-21-2009, 10:52 PM
Not saying OMV is a dirty player, just that on that particular play, he got away with a cheap shot.

oh yes, remember seeing it live and thought Matt was fouled twice on the play, then watched it over again and felt my feelings were confirmed.

So great to overcome that and win anyway. Sweeeet!!!

Thanks Reno.

Reborn
03-22-2009, 09:05 AM
I'd quibble with that description. Dude is a gamer who wanted the ball and was trying to make a play. It was a blatant foul, but I wouldn't call it cheap. The no-call was cheap.

I got to agree with ya, FuManShoes. Not a cheap shot at all. The kid wanted the ball, and wanted the game, and wanted to make one more great play. He was a star for sure. But it was definitely a foul, and one he was hoping wouldn't be called. It was not only him getting to the ball, but for him to have the mental ability to roll over and throw the ball down court to his player is what was so remarkable. Incredible game for him. He was Cury all over. The difference, as I have said all year, is that this year's Zags are not last years. The did not let it slip away. The Zags continue to wear the slipper, and didn't let WKU take it from them, even though they were definitely deserving.

My hat goes off to you, Mr. Valdez-Mendez. You left your imprint on this tournament.

zagnut52
03-22-2009, 10:22 AM
He caused me lots and lots of heart palpitations!

Bring Back John Rillie
03-22-2009, 11:46 AM
Unbelievable athlete. We should feel privileged to have shared the court with him for 40 minutes.

...and ditto on the palpitations

B Wayne
03-22-2009, 04:49 PM
The Chicago Tribune article explores his Hispanic roots, sharp shooting and lack of height. Geez, soun familiar? The same thing can be said of Portland State's Dominguez. Both killed us with 3 point shooting. I still don't think it's coincidence that so many players get hot on 3 point shots against us. Perhaps the same reason we are so effective in field goal percentage is why teams go off against us on 3 point plays? (ie we pack the defenders in on defense)

TokyoZag
03-22-2009, 05:04 PM
This article was written by someone who knew him since the 8th grade.

http://mvn.com/outsider/2009/03/mendez-valdezs-journey-reason-enough-to-watch-western-kentucky-tonight.html

Amazing story really. We talk about Josh and Micah, but the circumstances this kid clawed through are basically hard to fathom.