• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Radbooks
    Zag for Life
    • Jun 2007

John Blanchette on Austin

John Blanchette has another wonderful column about the Zags, this time on Austin. There are a few parts in it that I don't like to read, but I'm not too surprised. I think Austin needs to stay in school at least another year.

And his demonstrativeness?

“Everybody asks that – NBA scouts, everyone,” said Giacoletti. “The sad thing is, people think that makes him uncoachable and he’s not at all. He’s a sweetheart of a kid.”

Ah, yes, NBA scouts. Daye is certainly a tempting talent, but has hardly won everyone over in a season that began with a false-alarm knee injury and has seen its share of spikes and valleys. And yet the league has never been a model of restraint when it comes to waiting for a player to be ready.

“I have thought about it – I’m not going to lie,” said Daye, who once again insisted he had made no decision and would sit down with his family and advisors after the end of the season.

“If I was averaging 40, it wouldn’t really change my decision. I’ve had plans to stay and thoughts of leaving. It’s all in the air right now. It kind of matters how we do (in the NCAAs). I can see myself not being happy with how we did here and trying to come back and do better next year, or maybe we do something so good this year we can’t top it.”

Ooh. Just imagine the body language in that case.
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus
  • GonzagaDynasty
    Banned
    • Dec 2008

I feel so bad for Austin. People get on him for everything. He just has that look about him, that people dont like. Everyone complains about foul calls, almost every single time, but for some reason everyone hates Austin for it. I personally love the passion and heart he plays with. He's a good kid who seems to have a target on his back.

That being said, he would be stupid to leave for the NBA this year. Although if he leaves because Gonzaga does something amazing this year, I'll be so satisfied I wont even care!!!

Comment

• applezag
      Kennel Club
      • Feb 2007

Some strange, wishy-washy quotes. I guess it's probably just pure thinking out loud on Daye's part. I would imagine the same kind of thinking goes through a lot of players' heads, they just don't say it. It's easy to see why he would be thinking that stuff, but from what I have seen and what I have read, I have a hard time understanding how he and his family would come to the conclusion that it would be a good thing for him to leave after this season. What Giacoletti says is consistent with what I have heard--that he is very coachable and committed to getting better. We have seen definite improvement in his physicality (though there is still a long ways to go) and toughness. His defense is also improved. If he can improve his bulk and strength in the next year, he could be an absolutely dominating player next year. The easiest thing he can do to improve is not foul as much. And the easiest way to improve that is to improve his relationships with refs by not having a fit every time he gets whistled. I have seen a number of calls go against him this year late in games that really didn't need to be called, but it was hard to blame the ref after all the griping. I think AD thinks imploring the refs for calls helps him in some way, but that is not how it comes off. He has really developed a reputation and that needs to improve.

Comment

• MDABE80
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Dunno what the "false alarm" means. No no.it was real. He did have some problems (trying to be appropriate) .real ones....in that knee. Just not bad enough to operate on. Austin's a great young man though. This year he's been surrounded by lots of talent. Hisw performance really has only fropped a bit.......in many ways ( Block, rebounding, assist to's) he's improved. He'll be maturing soon.

AA kids usually are special and bit tempermental. I don't see many calls against Austin that I wouldn't protest too if I was in his shoes. Iffy ones are called a lot. How Austin handles those calls reflects his maturing which has improved as the season has progressed. A bit more time and he'll be our AA.

Comment

• Nevtelen
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Austin really has gotten quite a bit better this season. He's gotten a lot better against contact as well as knowing when to block and when not to and he's been better mentally it seems in terms of mental toughness. Some things have suffered -like his free throw shooting - and he didn't make the giant jump many were hoping for. But I think a lot of that has to do with the knee and his being unable to do much this summer. I feel pretty confident he'll make a big jump before next season. I would hope he stays at GU - for GU, of course, but I just don't see him as NBA ready right now. And I don't think most scouts do, either.

Comment

• CDC84
            Super Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Austin has a great role model on his own team for how he should handle the refs, and that's Jeremy Pargo. If Jeremy ever gets a call against him that he thinks is unfair, he'll just hand the ball over and walk away. Later on, he will approach the ref in a casual, friendly way and start talking with him. Most refs have no problem explaining what it is that you did. They also don't mind listening to you. They just don't like being shown up.

Comment

• ZagLawGrad
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2008

Today would be a great day for AD to leave all the soft talk behind him once and for all. Light it up AD.
              "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Comment

• Nevtelen
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

WKU actually seems like the type of team Austin has played well against in the past. I think, and hope, he can have a monster game against them.

Comment

• bigblahla
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Austin is a young man with a lot of attention focused on him. I think he has done a commendable job in that role, it ain't easy being under the spotlight all the time. Stay at GU for all 4 years Austin get your education and mature in body and mind as twenty years from now you will be glad you did.

Go!! Zags!!!
                  "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Comment

• GonzagaDynasty
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
                    Austin has a great role model on his own team for how he should handle the refs, and that's Jeremy Pargo. If Jeremy ever gets a call against him that he thinks is unfair, he'll just hand the ball over and walk away. Later on, he will approach the ref in a casual, friendly way and start talking with him. Most refs have no problem explaining what it is that you did. They also don't mind listening to you. They just don't like being shown up.
                    I dunno, a lot of the time Jeremy will make a face, and yell something like "whaaaaat?" Not that I think there is anything wrong with that, but Pargo isnt perfect either.

Comment

• Zagpower
                      Bleeds GU Blue
                      • Feb 2007

I think all of the above is what makes Austin one of the most interesting Zags we've had here. He really is a nice kid.

Watching him for 3 or 4 years has been and will be a real treat!

Turn back the clock twentyish years ago and ask:

Michael Jordan, Jerry West, and Darren Daye all have sons that go on to play college ball. Whose son will be the best player? Might have got some nice odds on that one.

Comment

• FrahmfortheWin
                        Kennel Club Material
                        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post

I don't see many calls against Austin that I wouldn't protest too if I was in his shoes. Iffy ones are called a lot. How Austin handles those calls reflects his maturing which has improved as the season has progressed.
                        I think thats the point Austin has yet to fully understand.

How he handles the calls influences the calls he is going to get later in the game and season. Refs are not above human nature and do let their impressions of people influence calls to a degree. As Austin matures, we will see less iffy calls.

Comment

Working...
                        X