PDA

View Full Version : We're still the underdogs...

Thomas_Sutpen
03-21-2009, 09:05 AM
...according to Andy Staples at cnnsi.com:

Gonzaga didn't inspire confidence with its first-round win against Akron. Western Kentucky, meanwhile, proved Thursday that the bunch of Hilltoppers who reached the Sweet 16 last year weren't the only ones equipped to advance. If Western Kentucky guard Orlando Mendez-Valdez's ankle is fine, expect another big week in Bowling Green.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/andy_staples/03/21/speed.picks/index.html?eref=T1

zagsdan86
03-21-2009, 09:06 AM
Seth Davis in the CBS intro said all the higher seeds would win today...except Gonzaga.

Baldwinzag
03-21-2009, 09:25 AM
...according to Andy Staples at cnnsi.com:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/andy_staples/03/21/speed.picks/index.html?eref=T1

Andy Staples isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. Orlanda Mendez-Valdez rolled his ankle 3-4 weeks ago and was clearly healthy vs. Illinois. It appears he's already trying to set up an excuse if the Zags pull it out. I find it interesting that "experts" bring up a mythical injury when its not even mentioned on their own message board as a potential issue. Using the same logic, I could say, "If Heytvelt's foot can hold up in this one, I think the Zags will be too much for the Hilltoppers to handle." Pathetic.

Also, didn't inspire confidence? Did he even watch the game or just peek at the halftime box score? Based on his comments, I'll assume the latter. Actually, the opposite is true. After shaking off the rust, we played tremendously well in the final 10 minutes and went on a 19-1 run. How many other teams in the tournament did that? I heard several analysts during Friday's games state, "The way Gonzaga played in the 2nd half is the best stretch of basketball I've seen in the Tournament." In the tournament, there is no such thing as "inspiring confidence"...you win and advance. Every game and every matchup is different.

Reborn
03-21-2009, 09:25 AM
Seth will be losing his job soon after the conclusion of this year's NCAA tournament.

What a rediculous statement. I think Seth has been blind all year long, and I would have fired him months ago. I look forward to everything he says, because it gives me a chance to smile and even laugh at times. The upsets, folks, are only beginning. :D Why would anyone ever think that all the higher ranked teams would win in a tournament called, MARCH MADNESS???

I loved the Zags' victory over Akron, and it was one of the better games played in this tournament by a higher ranked seed. The Zags won going away, slowly disecting the Zips like a surgeon. We held them without a basket "for almost 13 minutes." Right. That's not good basketball. We close the game on a 32-6 run, and 3 of those came off a 3 pointer after the game was completely over. The Hilltoppers had to hang on for their dear lives to win. It was a desperae win for them, against a team that was tainted. The Hilltoppers had to win in order for the Zags to win another game that will go down as tainted because everyone will say that we were lucky because Illinois' guard didn't play, and he was what toughness was all about. The Zags couldn't have withstood his toughness because they are such a "soft" team. I love Seth Davis because he inspires me to write.

El Voce
03-21-2009, 09:36 AM
The national media has been all over the board when it comes to the Zags this year. Currently, it seems, the trend is to be overly critical. When it's all said and done, it just doesn't matter. If we bring our "A game" and play hard, smart basketball, good things will happen. If we don't...

TheZagPhish
03-21-2009, 09:39 AM
http://www.c-pol.com/Fun/CaptainHyperbole.jpg

Zag4Hire
03-21-2009, 09:41 AM
Seth will be losing his job soon after the conclusion of this year's NCAA tournament.

What a rediculous statement. I think Seth has been blind all year long, and I would have fired him months ago. I look forward to everything he says, because it gives me a chance to smile and even laugh at times. The upsets, folks, are only beginning. :D Why would anyone ever think that all the higher ranked teams would win in a tournament called, MARCH MADNESS???

I loved the Zags' victory over Akron, and it was one of the better games played in this tournament by a higher ranked seed. The Zags won going away, slowly disecting the Zips like a surgeon. We held them without a basket "for almost 13 minutes." Right. That's not good basketball. We close the game on a 32-6 run, and 3 of those came off a 3 pointer after the game was completely over. The Hilltoppers had to hang on for their dear lives to win. It was a desperae win for them, against a team that was tainted. The Hilltoppers had to win in order for the Zags to win another game that will go down as tainted because everyone will say that we were lucky because Illinois' guard didn't play, and he was what toughness was all about. The Zags couldn't have withstood his toughness because they are such a "soft" team. I love Seth Davis because he inspires me to write.

You must have loved when Greg Anthony said, "Seth I couldn't disagree with you more." OOOOOhhhh take that Seth.

Once and Future Zag
03-21-2009, 09:42 AM
Hey, it takes 25 - 30 minutes to shake a monkey off your back... they're tenacious little critters.

bartruff1
03-21-2009, 09:44 AM
To the "experts" that made the seedings or the "experts" that make the odds....if it is any comfort to you, Seth has been wrong about the Zags for years...always picking them to win !! Again, I think the first game was the tough one...now they are on a mission and Downs has made them a scary good team...not to mention that FINALLY Pargo has made a end of half shot !!!!

Zagger
03-21-2009, 09:51 AM
The Zags have played smart, determined, collected, cooly, accurately and collectively. That's a hard combination to beat. If 3 point shots are guarded well and passes can be spot on - Zags win. I totally agree with Reborn - The best is yet to come..... Go Zags!

LynetteG
03-21-2009, 10:27 AM
if it is any comfort to you, Seth has been wrong about the Zags for years...always picking them to win !!

let him continue to be wrong about us and let him continue to pick against us!

MDABE80
03-21-2009, 10:36 AM
We play like we did for 30 minutes against Akron ( a weak team), we'll be shown the dorr. WKU will run, shoot, rebound. If we do what we can, we win. We watch and play crappy defense and don't rebound , we lose. SImple.

NOW GO OUT AND BEAT THOSE WESTERN KENTUCKY HILLTOPPERS!!!!!! BEAT WKU!!!! Beatdown on National TV is what we need to restore some confidence!!!!

HillBillyZag
03-21-2009, 10:43 AM
Amen!, Dr. Its going to take an "All Hands" effort to keep dancing. From this point on thre is NO room for error.

Radbooks
03-21-2009, 11:06 AM
What doesn't make sense is that so many of the higher ranked teams struggled in their first games and it's only Gonzaga that's being called out for it. What about Memphis? Villanova? Pitt? I know there were others but those three come to mind right away. Those teams struggled right down to the end of their games and the Zags didn't so it just makes no sense. Not that the commentators have to make sense to be 'experts'. :)

zagnut52
03-21-2009, 11:07 AM
Being an underdog is fine with me then. We'll show both of these pundits this afternoon at 5:10pm then!:mad:

TokyoZag
03-21-2009, 11:17 AM
Seth is still bitter we lost early (I think first round) the year he picked us to win it all.

ZagLawGrad
03-21-2009, 12:37 PM
Underdog works for me. It's where we began long ago.