PDA

View Full Version : Could someone who was at the game please

Reborn
03-20-2009, 03:13 PM
take some time to tell us what it was like there. I really appreciate live reports. What was it like there? The crowd seemed great to me, and at times very loud. Are there many students from the Kennel Club there? HOw about the band. I saw a band playing, and wondered if it was our's. How is your trip going?

I"d love to hear.

75Zag
03-20-2009, 04:03 PM
Pregame at Oregon Convention Center was fun. Cheerleaders were there, as was the Pep Band and Spike. Crowd at Alumni Pregame event seemed mainly composed of 45+ aged GU alumni both local and from around the country although there were some recent grads and some people in their 20s and 30s. Nike had a display of their new shoes which are pretty spectacular. Hoping to see GU wearing the new shoes soon. I understand each team gets to design its own shoe on a computer or something. They had the computer at the Alumni event for us to play with.

Line getting into game was hassle following changeover between Session 1 and Session 2. But most were seated and ready to go by game time.

GU Pep Band had allocated spot along baseline. Opposing band was on opposite end of court and opposite side of the arena. Good effort by both bands.

GU fan section on 100 level (the one the Bulldog Club allocates to donors, friends, etc.) was full, with Spitzer in the 3rd row behind the GU bench and various high dollar Alumni sprinkled around him (I think I saw one or both the McCarthey brothers sitting around him). GU students appeared to be in 300 section above GU team bench and above GU alumni area. Not a ton of them, but very vocal considering how high up in the arena they were seated. I did not see Stockton, which was interesting but maybe I missed him.

Lots of GU fans sprinkled around the Arena in pretty much every seating area. I suspect GU fans spent more on scalped tickets than anybody except maybe UW fans. Arena holds 20K so there were lots of people in general.

Fans seemed subdued during 1st half. Stronger support in 2nd half (obviously!). Not a lot of Akron fans in the building, I think we counted maybe 75 or 100 maximum. Akron cheerleaders and band were active and loud, a good traveling squad.

I live here so it was strange to see the Rose Garden with all the advertising blacked out by the NCAA. Apparently they don't allow anything except their own corporate sponsors to show ads in the building, so the neon ads on all the Rose Garden scoreboards were covered with black cloth. Very odd.

Concessions were marginal. No alcohol, and limited selection of hot dogs, pretzels, bottled pop, and candy bars. NCAA was pushing some sort of souvenir plastic cup for soda, which somebody told me was priced at $9.00. Only official NCAA merchandise was offered at vendors, so limited opportunity to support GU.

Friendly atmosphere, but definitely an older "monied" demographic without the excitement that you get at a college game in a college venue.

A great experience. Sorry for those GU fans that could not make this event, hopefully next time?

Go Bulldogs!

PilotNut
03-20-2009, 04:54 PM
Good summary from my experience, too... except that the good food is not in the concession stands... it is around the outside of the concourses. I had a really good (arena food wise) chicken sandwich and fries from the Pyramid Taproom outside Section 121... :D The lack of beer was harsh.

lothar98zag
03-20-2009, 05:07 PM
even with all the little complaints/imperfections - if anyone has a chance to see GU play in the NCAAs (w/o breaking the bank) you have to do it. Win or lose it's something every Zag fan should do at least once.

ZagLawGrad
03-20-2009, 05:40 PM
Thanks 75Zag, really nice summary. Keep up the heavy lifting in Ptlnd.

Lewey
03-20-2009, 05:50 PM
I was at all games yesterday, and the Husky crowd was incredible during their session. There was purple everywhere. Of course Northern Iowa has the same purple, but I verified the obvious with binoculars and other than the Northern Iowa section, the purple was all Husky. It was very loud during their game, and I wondered how the Zag fans would do in comparison. Of course the 1st half and much of the second we didn't have a lot to cheer about. Finally during our run the crowd got in to it with loud cheers for the rest of the game. It really showed our "home court" advantage. Unfortunately I have to give the edge to the Husky fans for how loud they got. Even though it was harder to pick out Zag fans with common colored blue / red shirts, I'm pretty sure there were more Husky fans than Zag fans at their respective games. But it seemed most of the neutral crowd was cheering for the Zags. I was across from the Illinois section and during our run it looked like most of their section was cheering for the Zags.

Reborn
03-20-2009, 06:10 PM
Thank you very much. I appreciate it. Were there many fans for Western Kentucky? It sounded loud during their game. What will it be like tomorrow do you think? Do those who have tickets have seats for both games or do they just get to see one and then clear the gym again.

gueastcoast
03-20-2009, 06:13 PM
Keep it up on the west coast, and I hope to have the chance to do my part here in the east in Memphis (SWBSF). Beat WKU!

Nevtelen
03-20-2009, 06:20 PM
Thank you very much. I appreciate it. Were there many fans for Western Kentucky? It sounded loud during their game. What will it be like tomorrow do you think? Do those who have tickets have seats for both games or do they just get to see one and then clear the gym again.

Lots of neutral fans were probably cheering for the upset. I think WKU will have at least as much support as GU tomorrow due to the Husky fans (of course, the GU fans might work against the UW crowd in the early game, too).

Lewey
03-20-2009, 06:53 PM
There are 3 "session" tickets. Each session is 2 games. For Thursday there were two sessions, the Purdue and UW games, then everyone had to leave and re-enter for the second session with the Zags and WKU games. Saturday is just one session including both games.

I'm guessing most Husky fans will root for the Zags. Could be wrong, we'll see. But definitely Thursday WKU got the "upset" cheers. But I think the Zag fans in general would root for a fellow non-BCS school too.

Reborn
03-20-2009, 06:58 PM
Thanks everyone.

beatProgram
03-20-2009, 07:06 PM
I was 4 rows up from the court. Like every big-time event in college basketball (or football for that matter) the really good seats are typically empty or filled with corporate sponsor folks.

Illinois travelled very well in my opinion, and WKU had a contingent larger than I expected. There were veritable buttloads of Huskies and Zags, as one would expect. I think I actually cheered more for WKU than I did for GU, but then it took GU a long, long time to bring some energy to the game and get me up off my tuckus.

It didn't have the dynamics of a top-billing regular season game, but early round tourney games almost never do.

You have to get to the consolidated rounds like the Sweet 16 before the environment is really raucous. :)

kclubfounder
03-20-2009, 07:14 PM
I think Zag fans are getting used to The Dance. It is still a novelty for Dawg fans. The Husky fans were much more into the game than the Zag fans from ding to dong. We had our moments, but it is like we - as fans - were going through the motions in this game. I think, as a group, we are waiting for the expected North Carolina matchup to truly get fired up. Of course, ironically, we will be in front of TV's for that one, and we won't be able to influence jack.

I'm as guilty as anyone. It was just hard to be loud and obnoxious during the game. If a fan base could be accused of "Cheering not to lose", like favored teams are sometimes accused of doing, then I think we were guilty as charged.

I will not be in attendance Saturday. I sure hope those Zags that are do a much better job than me and my fellow Zags did on Thursday.

GO ZAGS!!!!!! This really could be THE year!

sullyzag66
03-20-2009, 07:34 PM
I was at all games yesterday, and the Husky crowd was incredible during their session. There was purple everywhere. Of course Northern Iowa has the same purple, but I verified the obvious with binoculars and other than the Northern Iowa section, the purple was all Husky. It was very loud during their game, and I wondered how the Zag fans would do in comparison. Of course the 1st half and much of the second we didn't have a lot to cheer about. Finally during our run the crowd got in to it with loud cheers for the rest of the game. It really showed our "home court" advantage. Unfortunately I have to give the edge to the Husky fans for how loud they got. Even though it was harder to pick out Zag fans with common colored blue / red shirts, I'm pretty sure there were more Husky fans than Zag fans at their respective games. But it seemed most of the neutral crowd was cheering for the Zags. I was across from the Illinois section and during our run it looked like most of their section was cheering for the Zags.
I agree with your assessment. The noise was louder for the Huskies in their game, but as you noted, there wasn't much to cheer about in the first half of the Zag game. I did notice that some Husky fans in my section did not return for the Zag game. Both groups will be in attendance for Session 3. It will be interesting to see who cheers for whom in their respective games.

sullyzag66
03-20-2009, 07:39 PM
Lots of neutral fans were probably cheering for the upset. I think WKU will have at least as much support as GU tomorrow due to the Husky fans (of course, the GU fans might work against the UW crowd in the early game, too).
I think neutral fans were also cheering because they enjoyed the way the Hilltoppers were playing. They were enjoyable to watch. Scary.

sullyzag66
03-20-2009, 07:45 PM
There are 3 "session" tickets. Each session is 2 games. For Thursday there were two sessions, the Purdue and UW games, then everyone had to leave and re-enter for the second session with the Zags and WKU games. Saturday is just one session including both games.

I'm guessing most Husky fans will root for the Zags. Could be wrong, we'll see. But definitely Thursday WKU got the "upset" cheers. But I think the Zag fans in general would root for a fellow non-BCS school too.
In his Wednesday press conference Romar was soliciting Oregon and Gonzaga fan support for the Huskies, then he rolled his eyes to say, "as if that's going to happen." I think it did on Thursday. I do wonder what Husky fans will do tomorrow.

kclubfounder
03-20-2009, 08:32 PM
Husky fans will cheer against Gonzaga. No doubt about it. They are pissed that they play 2nd fiddle to GU in hoops in Washington State. They are embarrassed that their coach doesn't have the gonads to schedule us. They want desperately to go farther in the tournament.

Any Husky that disputes any of those points is either a liar or doesn't really follow UW Hoops passionately.

scrooner
03-20-2009, 09:14 PM
Since the Huskies play first, I suggest Zag fans at the game cheer REALLY LOUD for them, and make it known that you support NW hoops. Maybe you'll get some of that love back.

siliconzag
03-21-2009, 07:12 AM
Since the Huskies play first, I suggest Zag fans at the game cheer REALLY LOUD for them, and make it known that you support NW hoops. Maybe you'll get some of that love back.

The deal with chickens is that ingratiation is not an optimal strategy. We were accosted by some folks in purple shirts after our game with Akron as we got off the Max. They were pretty derisive about our performance against Akron. We just started clucking and did a chicken dance. I am willing to bet they will be split, although I remember the Stanford fans chanting, "let's go Wolf Pack" in Seattle when we played UNR a few years back, and then were upset when Zag fans turned on them.

I am an alumnus of both UW and GU, so I will be among the Zag fans rooting for the Chickens, but we aren't planning to arrive until halftime of the first game. Let's leave Portland with two victories. I gotta say, I would rather play WKU than Purdue right now.

BTW, does anybody know how the effort to make the Chicken Dance the UW fight song is going? Let's go Chickens! cluck,cluck,cluck,cluck, cluck.

Reborn
03-21-2009, 07:41 AM
I agree with ya, Sili. I think the Husky fans will be split, and the Zag fans will be split for the Huskies' game. I'll be rooting for U-dub, but I have them losing in my bracket.

I am so glad this game is being played in Portland and NOT Seattle. I think Portland fans will be rooting for both the Huskies and Zags, and will hopfully help both teams secure a win and move on to the Sweet 16. I'd like to see a very, very successful tournament here out West. I want the world to know that we CAN play basketball here in Washington and the Pacific Northwest.

I am totally impressed with the way the West Coast teams are playing so far. The Pac ten is 5-1 in the first round. Throw Gonzaga into the mix of West Coast teams and we're 6-1. Let's keep it going in the second round.