PDA

View Full Version : North Carolina is suffering more than a basketball loss

CDC84
03-25-2007, 07:22 PM
As bad as the loss was, it can't even compare to the news about what happened to their mascot. What a horrible tragedy. Much needed prayers go out to the greater UNC basketball community and this kid's family members and friends...it's looking more and more like he isn't going to make it......

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/ncaatourney07/news/story?id=2812224

former1dog
03-25-2007, 08:12 PM
Aw crap. That just makes my heart ache. Prayers for this wonderful young man and his family.

TrueLiz
03-25-2007, 08:50 PM
That is so sad. It's interesting to read the comments to the article, seeing people from so many different areas who want to post their support. I just said a prayer for him, and I hope that anyone else who sees the story will do the same. He sounds like a pretty amazing kid, and I hope he gets a miracle so he can become an amazing man too.

meadgrad02
03-26-2007, 12:58 AM
Just horrible, horrible news. There was another article on the day that it happened with people saying how stupid he was for walking on the side of the road, I just thought that was terrible for them to say, especially hours after it had occurred, "most likely Duke fans," that's what a lot of people were saying on there, not me.

NJZag
03-26-2007, 06:33 AM
Just horrible, horrible news. There was another article on the day that it happened with people saying how stupid he was for walking on the side of the road, I just thought that was terrible for them to say, especially hours after it had occurred, "most likely Duke fans," that's what a lot of people were saying on there, not me.

There's been a lot of local reporting on this, and support for the family. I heard that Fr. Ray Kemp, who said the Alumni Mass at the Hasbrouck Heights Hilton which acted as Hoya Central for out-of-towners, offered special intentions.

People making ignorant comments should be ignored. Fact of the matter is that we had a substantial snowfall a week ago, it froze-over, and then warm temps brought melt, plus rain, plus foggy conditions from all that.

There is no sidewalk in the area he was walking along Route 4 (lined with hotels, food places and a major approach to get to Arena). Accident happened Thursday just as temps were getting warmer, and the mascot probably was dodging piled-up snow (not yet melted) or puddles as he walked along the roadway.

The driver of the SUV was not drunk, had his own son in his car, and stopped immediately to assist and call for help. Reportedly there won't be charges for anything reckless. It's one of those combination of bad things that define the word "accident" -- and it's really sad that a UNC senior's family got this kind of tragic news when the weekend should have been all about college kids having fun while supporting their team.

gozagswoohoo
03-26-2007, 06:35 AM
oh my gosh, thats terrible. What a tragedy

gozagswoohoo
03-26-2007, 06:39 AM
http://mb19.scout.com/finsidecarolinafrm6.showMessage?topicID=131019.top ic

Per UNC board, the kid just passed...so sad.

MedZag
03-26-2007, 09:38 AM
Confirmed on SI... http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/basketball/ncaa/specials/ncaa_tourney/2007/03/26/bc.bkc.northcarolinamas.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

As a fellow 21 year old about to graduate... what a tragedy. Just wow.

spkngrl
03-26-2007, 09:46 AM
My thoughts are with his family and the entire UNC community. :*(

tobizag
03-26-2007, 09:58 AM
wow...

so sad.

My prayers go out to his family, friends, classmates, and the entire UNC community.

TheBeast
03-26-2007, 11:55 AM
Holy cow. I hadn't heard about this yet. This is terrible.

RenoZag
10-19-2007, 11:34 PM
The tragedy of his loss and the resulting donation of his organs-- and his family's reaction to it, are portrayed in this follow-up article from ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/print?page=rayofhope

The article is a 15 to 20 minute read but well worth it.

RIP Jason Ray.

MedZag
10-19-2007, 11:41 PM
The article is a testament to how badly transplant organs are needed here in the US. I know there are some people who have a problem with donating their organs for religious reasons, but theres a LOT of good that can be done by registering as an organ donor.

FuManShoes
10-20-2007, 12:07 AM
Wow, that's an amazing story. I'll admit I scrolled past the article on ESPN over the past week but didn't read it until this thread returned. I signed up to be an organ donor when I first got my license -- seemed like the thing to do. While I have no idea when my time will come (who does?), I can only hope to leave half the legacy this kid did. It's a special gift.

wazmix
10-20-2007, 09:34 PM
"Thank you for giving me my son back."
Jeez. I'm gonna cry again.

The video piece was amazing to watch..........The parents meeting the transplant recipients was such a special thing.
I had a difficult time watching it, realizing how proud his parents must be, while missing him also.

People are waiting................

(How difficult is it to plan to become organ donor after you die? Why don't more people sign up? IMO, they can bury my GU gear, and give the rest of me away !!!!!)

SWZag
10-22-2007, 03:15 PM
This is the most touching story. As having personal experience with organ donation, this touches even deeper. It's such a tragic story, but also is a story of hope.

My thoughts go to Jason's family in their tough times, but also to steady recoveries to those who have received a renewed life because of one great act of kindness.

SWZag