• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • malmer7
    Kennel Club
    • Jan 2008

Gotlieb trading in his zags card??

I don't know if anyone else listened, but Doug Gotlieb was filling in for Colin on "the herd" this morning for ESPN radio.
    Doug has now stated that the zags absolutely must win tomorrow or he is trading in his zag nation card... tired of the national coverage all year and then loosing in the 1st or 2nd round he compared us to some hot american idol winner that flops in the end, pretty harsh...
    I agree that tomorrow is obviously a big game for our school, but if the hilltoppers play their a$$es off and beat us then that's just how it goes, you can only control how you play, and that's it...
  • rawkmandale
    Banned
    • Feb 2007

Well, the media is probably fretting a bit, as they are obviously drooling over a North Carolina - Gonzaga matchup that would be a huge storyline the first part of next week, well, once the Davidson - St. Mary's game is over on Monday.

Comment

• TheZagPhish
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

I'd trade in my Doug Gottlieb card -- had I ever carried one and were there takers.
      Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Comment

• gamagin
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Good, it's all good

Originally posted by malmer7 View Post
        I don't know if anyone else listened, but Doug Gotlieb was filling in for Colin on "the herd" this morning for ESPN radio.
        Doug has now stated that the zags absolutely must win tomorrow or he is trading in his zag nation card... tired of the national coverage all year and then loosing in the 1st or 2nd round he compared us to some hot american idol winner that flops in the end, pretty harsh...
        I agree that tomorrow is obviously a big game for our school, but if the hilltoppers play their a$$es off and beat us then that's just how it goes, you can only control how you play, and that's it...
        it appears we have to wake up with each new game to the reality that we have to play 40 minutes.

and as the competition increases, 10 minutes of intensity, focus and basketball -- in roughly the 4th quarter -- is not an option if one hopes to keep dancing.

also, we seem to only take our messages when EVERYONE is saying the same thing. Over rated. so now someone on public tv is calling us out.

we are overrated if last night is the best we can do.

We DO need to take charge, drive to the basket, stay there till the ball is in every time. this anxiety-riddled perimeter game in which there is one shot and no rebound has got to end. We need to stay and fight under both baskets.

Go TEAM Zags !
        Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
        Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
        Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• CDC84
          Super Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Did Doug ever have a "Zags card"?

Comment

• ZagLawGrad
            Zag for Life
            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
            I didn't give him mine, did you give him yours?
            "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Comment

• RenoZag
              Super Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
              I don't think so. He's been a frequent critic. Given his bully pulpit-- ESPN Radio and TV-- his criticisms get noticed by a large number of fans.

He's cut from the same broad cloth as Colin Cowherd, Skip Bayless, Jim Rome, and Stephen A. Smith: lots of bombast, little content.
              The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• Nevtelen
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by RenoZag View Post
                I don't think so. He's been a frequent critic. Given his bully pulpit-- ESPN Radio and TV-- his criticisms get noticed by a large number of fans.

He's cut from the same broad cloth as Colin Cowherd, Skip Bayless, Jim Rome, and Stephen A. Smith: lots of bombast, little content.
                Actually, I think Gottlieb generally has well-informed opinions. I don't always agree and am also not sure he's ever had a Zags card, but he's a LOT better than Bayless et al. He really knows the game and is informed about things IMO.

Comment

• MBZags
                  Professional Zag Fan
                  • Feb 2007

On the same segment, Hubert Davis said he would trade in his Zags card if Gonzaga didn't reach the Final Four this year. What an asinine comment.

Comment

• zag944
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

i kind of wanted to do well in this tournament, but now that all these ESPN personalities are threatening to not like us i REALLY want to win.

Comment

• sdzag
                      Kennel Club Alum
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MBZags View Post
                      On the same segment, Hubert Davis said he would trade in his Zags card if Gonzaga didn't reach the Final Four this year. What an asinine comment.
                      That was the one I found insane. Everyone and there mom are picking UNC to the finals. I don't mind Got with sweet 16 thing, hell I may join him but the Final Four takes more then talent it takes a luck. I mean please. Just lost some respect for that guy. To say we need to beat the most talent and experienced in the NCAA shouldn't be an expectation to respect a team!
                      SDZag does not represent the opinions of San Diego just the San Diegians on the Foo!

Comment

• Robzagnut
                        Zag for Life
                        • Apr 2007

I listened to it this morning.

As his lead in for the next segment before the commerical break he said, "If this team doesn't win on Saturday, I'm going to trade in my card."

I knew he was talking about Gonzaga, so I stayed in my car and listened (instead of going to work).

He had valid statements and you know he wants GU to play UNC. He said that GU went out in the first round the last two years, has only gone to one Sweet 16 in the past 7 years, compared this to an American Idol winner playing at Wisconsin state fairs and this year GU gets to play a 13 and a 12 seed to get to the Sweet 16, so they better get in.

Comment

• bballbeachbum
                          Zag for Life
                          • Dec 2008

like it matters what they say. Doug comes from the Big12, and Hubert is Carolina blue. You don't think Hubert knows what he's trying to say?

Like Santelli, Craemer and the "financial reporters" who are really just salesman, so are these guys...to some degree. It's their job.

Quote from Coach Few, posted by CBS during game last night:

"We are no longer scrappy Gonzaga with a chip on our shoulder. Now we have a bullseye on our back. We must play like champions every time out."

Not play like a team who cares what the power conference heads are saying.

Love our coach!

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!

Comment

• lothar98zag
                            PostPadder General
                            • Feb 2007

E$PN's talking head? who cares...

If GU wins it'll be for themselves, not for some fast talking dork in a suit.

(edit - beachbum just beat me to it)
                            youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

Comment

• MDABE80
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Doug never had a GU card. And it DOES matter when the ESPN crew maligns or lessens a Zag victory. Why? Because people, adults, recruits, fans, etc listen to them as "experts". Sheeple listen and form opinions.

Generally people expect more from GU nowadays. We owe nothing to them but it's their opinions, largely based on the first 3 years of this run, that haunt the lack of success matching those early years that bother people.

Even Withers finds fault with the Zags because we were one and done the past 2 years.........largely ignoring that UW didn't even make the tournament. Further, he brings up Adam crying when we lost in the swt 16 3 years back......HELLO!!!! It's was the Swt 16!!!!!!! hardly a failure. But he likens it to a failure.

SO when we play 10 mins like we should and step up and blow AKRON out, fault is to be found. We saw it as well. Big deal........lets just go cream Western Kentucky. Rust is hopefully gone and we should do a WCC championship game the rest of the way in. You make people believe if you show dominance and heart.

BEAT WESTERN KENTUCKY!!!!!!! Nothing else will do!! Swt 16 need the ZAGS! It's over if we don't beat WKU!! BEAT EM!

Comment

Working...
                              X