• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reborn
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

Game prediction: Zags vs Hilltoppers

I thinki this is a great matchups for the Zags. This will be a barn-burner I think. This game will be played at the pace that the Zags love, and that the fans enjoy.

Zags 83
    Western Kentucky 69

A most memorable win as we head back to the Sweet 16.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!
  • Nevtelen
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Here's what the WKU coach had to say about the game:

He doesn't get Calvary's name right, but I think he gets a pass. Interesting comments from when he was scouting the Zags at the Top of the World Classic back in the day: "We're going to get killed."

Seems like a nice guy, and I really like the Toppers. Too bad we are going to have to end their run this year. Sorry, WKU - I would have picked you against anyone else. I think with both teams really getting up and down, GU will put their best foot forward and overcome some adversity even when WKU makes a late run with lots of 3s falling for them.

GU 86 WKU 79

Comment

• gamagin
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

If we turn in 40 minutes of play

we will win. Here's hoping . . .

here's the vegas line:

Mar. 21 W Kentucky
      5:10 p.m. at Gonzaga
      Favorite GONZ GONZ GONZ
      Point spread -10½ -10 -10
      Totl 143½o/u 143½o/u
      Total money line -110 -110

Go TEAM Zags !
      Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
      Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
      Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• edcasey
        Bulldog Fan
        • Dec 2008

zags win 76-68

Comment

• ZagLawGrad
          Zag for Life
          • Nov 2008

Another victory

As I predicted with the Akron game, the WKU game will probably start out slower that any of us care to watch. A grinding, slow and frustrating start. But, as with the Akron game, the Zags will warm up and figure out the Toppers in the second half. Result? Double digit win, 12 pts at least.

P.S. Please Zags, oh please, defend the 3's. Did I say please?
          "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Comment

• 75Zag
            Zag for Life
            • Mar 2007

Bulldogs by 10

If GU defends the 3 and if JH continues his fantastic play, GU by 10 or better going away.

If the game is a grinder with GU post players in foul trouble I still think we win, but in a squeeker.

Go Bulldogs!
            Do not go gentle into that good night,
            Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
            Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Comment

• lothar98zag
              PostPadder General
              • Feb 2007

I predict GU by 1 or more!

fyi -

kenpom predicts: GU - W, 81-65 92%

FWIW, Akron is rated #90 @ kenpom, and WKU is rated #96. Of course take that with a million grains of salt since they just beat Illinois (#25).
              youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

Comment

• Ezag
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by 75Zag View Post
                If GU defends the 3
                Man that 3 ball sure does give us fits!

Comment

• johnwzag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Mar 2008

More cowbell!
                  When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep - not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Comment

• Baldwinzag
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

I'm surprised at the "great matchup" comments above. While I agree WKU's up-tempo style suits us better than a grind-it-out type team, this couldn't be a worse matchup, IMO. Western Kentucky is a slightly less skilled version of Villanova. They run a 4-guard offense where their guards can play as forwards and their forwards as guards. Their one true "big" is an identical version of Ronny Turiaf circa Sophmore year. He'll have no problems matching Daye or Heytvelt's length. WKU is also extremely athletic at every position, including their bigs. I actually heard an analyst this morning state, "Gonzaga is way more athletic than WKU". I immediately dismissed the rest of his breakdown and lost all credibility because he obviously hadn't watched WKU play this year.

In addition to their quickness and strength in the backcourt, they can shoot lights out from downtown. They have 4 players who average over 35% from 3pt and they rely heavily on penetrating and kicking out to open shooters. They have no problem creating on their own and for others. Nearly all their guards weigh over 200lbs as well and they are aggresive on both end of the court. Illinois is one of the best, if not the best defensive team in the Big-10 and WKU embarrased their defense last night. They did it to Louisville earlier in the year as well. They are THAT good.

If the Zags don't defend the perimeter like their life is on the line, WKU will have a field day sinking 3's from all over the place. This is the most balanced, well rounded group of guards we've seen all year and I didn't forget UConn, Tennessee, Memphis, or other. Also, if we don't play Meech/Gray/Pargo together for defensive purposes, their guards will toast us all night long. We'll be shocked at how easily they get in the lane and kick it out to for the open shot. I love Bouldin aka MVP, but this is not the game to play him 39+ minutes in. Of course we'll need his play-making, IQ, shooting ability, etc, but we'll need perimeter defense even more. Our best offense tomorrow night will be our defense, especially on the perimeter.

I can't think of a more equipped team to beat the Zags than WKU. There are plenty other team that are poor mismatches(Pitt, Memphis, UL, etc) but WKU shoots better from 3pt than those teams and has the athletes to break us down on offense and defense. Ironically, WKU is built to be a "Zag Killer". I was wishing we'd face Illinois, but we got my worst nightmare...the Mighty Hilltoppers.

If we don't have our best defensive effort of the season, WKU will be celebrating back-to-back Sweet 16 appearances.

Prediction:
                    Zags - 75
                    WKU - 74
                    “You’ve got to hit the Zag standard.”

And if it happens, those rites of Autumn become the rites of Spring.

Comment

• bigblahla
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Baldwinzag View Post
                      I'm surprised at the "great matchup" comments above. While I agree WKU's up-tempo style suits us better than a grind-it-out type team, this couldn't be a worse matchup, IMO. Western Kentucky is a slightly less skilled version of Villanova. They run a 4-guard offense where their guards can play as forwards and their forwards as guards. Their one true "big" is an identical version of Ronny Turiaf circa Sophmore year. He'll have no problems matching Daye or Heytvelt's length. WKU is also extremely athletic at every position, including their bigs. I actually heard an analyst this morning state, "Gonzaga is way more athletic than WKU". I immediately dismissed the rest of his breakdown and lost all credibility because he obviously hadn't watched WKU play this year.

In addition to their quickness and strength in the backcourt, they can shoot lights out from downtown. They have 4 players who average over 35% from 3pt and they rely heavily on penetrating and kicking out to open shooters. They have no problem creating on their own and for others. Nearly all their guards weigh over 200lbs as well and they are aggresive on both end of the court. Illinois is one of the best, if not the best defensive team in the Big-10 and WKU embarrased their defense last night. They did it to Louisville earlier in the year as well. They are THAT good.

If the Zags don't defend the perimeter like their life is on the line, WKU will have a field day sinking 3's from all over the place. This is the most balanced, well rounded group of guards we've seen all year and I didn't forget UConn, Tennessee, Memphis, or other. Also, if we don't play Meech/Gray/Pargo together for defensive purposes, their guards will toast us all night long. We'll be shocked at how easily they get in the lane and kick it out to for the open shot. I love Bouldin aka MVP, but this is not the game to play him 39+ minutes in. Of course we'll need his play-making, IQ, shooting ability, etc, but we'll need perimeter defense even more. Our best offense tomorrow night will be our defense, especially on the perimeter.

I can't think of a more equipped team to beat the Zags than WKU. There are plenty other team that are poor mismatches(Pitt, Memphis, UL, etc) but WKU shoots better from 3pt than those teams and has the athletes to break us down on offense and defense. Ironically, WKU is built to be a "Zag Killer". I was wishing we'd face Illinois, but we got my worst nightmare...the Mighty Hilltoppers.

If we don't have our best defensive effort of the season, WKU will be celebrating back-to-back Sweet 16 appearances.

Prediction:
                      Zags - 75
                      WKU - 74
                      Any sun behind that black cloud?

I have a calmness about this one I don't think anyone is going to have to fire up the guys they know what's at stake. As good as the Hilltoppers are we are a pretty fair ball team ourselves and the fellas want to keep this going.

If the offense shows up at the start to compliment what I think will be stingy defense throughout the game Zags win going away otherwise Zags prevail in the final two minutes at the foul line.

Go!! Zags!!!
                      "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Comment

• MJ777
                        Zag for Life
                        • Mar 2009

I'm nervous and I probably won't even get in the game. WKU is nearly or is as athletic as GU. As Baldwinzag has stated, they are balanced and a good 3 pt shooting team. We need to see a lot of Meech in the game to pester the Toppers. 40 minutes of focus will be required.

Zags 82 WKU 77

Be Tough Bulldogs!!
                        Guard the 3!

Comment

• edcasey
                          Bulldog Fan
                          • Dec 2008

look for switiching defense on the perimeter..daring wku to drive ...think our lengthgoing to play into wku abilities to get good looks...

this matchup allows us to use ira more if we have foul issues which is a blessing

i enivision wku looking to try and defend the guard post up by our zags...and best of luck as I dont see anyone on their team who can stop the inverted offense with josh popping out and JP or MB posting up....foul trouble potential for wku

Comment

• zagnut52
                            Bulldog Fan
                            • Dec 2008

Count me in as many others who see this as a relatively close win, but a win for Gonzaga. Zags by 5-7..KEEP IT UP GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Zag79
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

i think akron provided a tougher match up than wku will in all reality. a slow it down, grind it, defense oriented team will always cause more of an issue than a fast paced team ala wku. on top of that, the zags hadnt played in a week and a half. i see a high scoring back and forth game with the fellas winning by 10+.

Comment

Working...
                              X