PDA

View Full Version : Beating The Hilltoppers

75Zag
03-20-2009, 04:16 AM
Toppers shot 47.4% from behind the 3 point line tonight. Looks like 4 of their starters are very competent 3 point shooters. Illinois defense was not very good, but the Toppers put on a 3 point shooting clinic that was very impressive.

Toppers had 9 offensive rebounds (seemed like a lot more while watching the game). It also seemed like most of their offensive rebounds were grabbed within a few feet of the basket and resulted in a quick no-dribble put back shot for the score. Bulldogs are going to have to try to control Kerusch and Magley on the boards without getting a lot of fouls.

Toppers are definitely beatable, but I would have rather played Illinois.

Go Bulldogs!

cjm720
03-20-2009, 07:39 AM
They appear to have a very balanced attack, exhibit a fair amount of athleticism, and with their outside shooting I'm a bit nervous for this game. Step up Zags and play like you know you can.

go zags!!!

Nevtelen
03-20-2009, 08:26 AM
WKU plays more up-tempo, which will be easier for the team to match and get into the game. The guys can definitely not give up the number of 3s they did yesterday, though.

GU is a lot taller than WKU at most positions and possibly has some athletic advantage. Hopefully the team shoots better than 33% from behind the arc, too, if there is a better rhythm to the game. Transition and transistion D will be the key IMO.

I'm glad WKU won, but I, too, would rather play the Illini. I also would have loved for WKU to get back to the Sw 16, which they hopefully won't do now.

gamagin
03-20-2009, 09:15 AM
I think they were on fire vs illini and Illini just could not catch up. even though they made a hellatious run back to within striking distance.

the question is whether wku can once again live by the three.

I doubt it, plus we have the longer players and ability to disrupt the open looks and among the best at perimeter defense, which is apparently their main strength. I like this matchup.

We need 40 minutes of basketball played and if/when, we'll take care of busines.

Go TEAM Zags !

ZagLawGrad
03-20-2009, 09:21 AM
I really had the impression that WKU was running out of gas at the end of the Illinois game. On the other hand, the Zags looked to have fresh legs and lungs at the end of the Akron game. I think the altitude factor has finally come to bear.

Zag4Hire
03-20-2009, 09:49 AM
I think it is not so much MV but Slaughter that I am worried about. MV is good at the pick and pop and the Illini spotted him too much room on open jumpers but Slaughter is a slasher. This creates trouble if he draws Heytvelt into contact. With Heytvelt on the bench, well, that doesn't look good. Look for the Red Blob to drive to the lane early to get Heytvelt in trouble. Also the Red Blob will make us pay more than the Zips (4% pts better from behind the arc). Hopefully the Zags get up early, get the crowd into it, and drive the lane. If the Zags shoot FTs like they did last night and draw fouls on the backcourt of the Blob, I think we should get a solid win.

Zageist
03-20-2009, 03:06 PM
GU plays 32 more minutes like the played the last 8 against Akron, they can beat anybody. Not so sure they can take that much of the game off and beat the Hilltoppers. WKU had their boot on IL's throat until the tail end of the game and looked scarey good doing it. Zags need more defensive intensity tomorrow.