Expect Oregon to make a run at Few.
Expect Few to turn it down.

Good times continue at Gonzaga.

rennis
03-19-2009, 09:01 AM
ruh roh. here goes the rumor mill!

Nevtelen
03-19-2009, 09:13 AM
Canzano's head is going to explode soon. I bet Oregon wonders if Obama has any other brothers-in-law. :)

MDABE80
03-19-2009, 10:44 AM
Coach won't leave for the money. Sptizer leaving concerns me more. Coach Few relies on him for his support getting things done. Hope the BOARD finds a good new President in the mold of Fr SPitzer. Best President we had in like "forever".

gamagin
03-19-2009, 10:45 AM
as usual.

Go TEAM Zags !

GoZags
03-19-2009, 10:55 AM
Coach won't leave for the money. Sptizer leaving concerns me more. Coach Few relies on him for his support getting things done. Hope the BOARD finds a good new President in the mold of Fr SPitzer. Best President we had in like "forever".

I spoke at length with Father Spitzer about this a couple of weeks ago. He is confident that the search committee understands (as he understands) the importance of a great relationship between the President's office and the Athletic Department. After that conversation (in which I'd shared a similar concern) -- I'm convinced that there is absolutely nothing to worry about in that regard. GoZags (from a lunch stop near Kalama)

CDC84
03-19-2009, 11:37 AM
It appears as though this isn't just another Ernie Kent rumor. The pink slip has been written.

I'm waiting to see what Canzano says when the Ducks get a big fat no from you know who. He'll probably say that Oregon's new coach - whoever that may end up being - is an "interim" coach or something.

MDABE80
03-19-2009, 11:51 AM
Thank you GZ! I'm worried but that makes things sound better. And yes.....Mr Kent is gone.....no doubt. Can't be saved by overachieving players this time.
I'm still not sure why Fr Spitzer's leaving. He's become such an understated benefit to GU. I know there were some liberal dept heads that put pressure on. I hope the board of trustees didn't bend to that cabal.

OH well AKRON's on my mind. BEAT EM !!!

RenoZag
03-19-2009, 11:52 AM
Could Bennett or Raveno from the WCC end up there ? Or does UofO have to hit a home run and get a "four star" high profile "marquee" coach ?

( No disrespect to either WCC name mentioned above )

Nevtelen
03-19-2009, 11:52 AM
It appears as though this isn't just another Ernie Kent rumor. The pink slip has been written.

I'm waiting to see what Canzano says when the Ducks get a big fat no from you know who. He'll probably say that Oregon's new coach - whoever that may end up being - is an "interim" coach or something.

Actually, with the outgoing AD being Few's friend, I bet he'll continually crow about 'what might have been' and bemoan the fact Ernie wasn't fired a year earlier. THAT you can never disprove, so he can keep claiming it forever.

Nevtelen
03-19-2009, 11:55 AM
Could Bennett or Raveno from the WCC end up there ? Or does UofO have to hit a home run and get a "four star" high profile "marquee" coach ?

( No disrespect to either WCC name mentioned above )

They'd have to be pretty crazy to not give Bennett a call. Who knows what he'd say. Reveno might have to prove himself another year or two at a high level.

MedZag
03-19-2009, 11:55 AM
I'm still not sure why Fr Spitzer's leaving. He's become such an understated benefit to GU. I know there were some liberal dept heads that put pressure on. I hope the board of trustees didn't bend to that cabal.

From my understanding it came from higher up in the Jesuit order. They have a policy of not leaving priests in position as president for a certain period of time. The way I understand it, Fr. Spitzer has already stayed longer than originally planned.

Section 116
03-19-2009, 11:57 AM
From the Eugene Register-Guard:

http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms/sites/web/sports/10024816-41/story.csp

lothar98zag
03-19-2009, 12:00 PM
The Zags are currently in Portland and this story breaks - now? Nice timing Green Zero's... :rolleyes:

webspinnre
03-19-2009, 12:28 PM
From my understanding it came from higher up in the Jesuit order. They have a policy of not leaving priests in position as president for a certain period of time. The way I understand it, Fr. Spitzer has already stayed longer than originally planned.

Yes and no. The decision ultimately comes from the Oregon Provincial head, but a number of GU Jesuits and Oregon Jesuits have wanted him gone for several years. My understanding is that the Regents had been fighting to keep him. You'll notice a difference of ideology between Spitzer and the president of SU and notice that SU's pres won't be going anywhere, but Spitzer will, despite an exceedingly productive tenure at GU.

johno
03-19-2009, 12:37 PM

I know Fr. Locatelli at Santa Clara was president, like forever, so I'm not sure how much this rule is followed.

Having known some Jesuits in my time, a very scholarly bunch to say the least, I'm sure wanting to teach is a big motivator in leaving the presidency. Being president can be a grind when your passion is for the more scholarly pursuits. Don't have any inside info on this, just speculating.

ZaginLaw
03-19-2009, 12:39 PM
From the linked article:

"...for the last 20 years he’s been turning Gonzaga into a mid-major power...Also, for the last few years, Few has been the Ducks’ next coach."

What other coach in the country can they say they've been the next coach at Oregon for nearly as long as he's been the coach at GU?

Canzano is thinking he can finally get those GU guys off his back who keep emailing him to explain how children 10+ years apart in age can be longtime "childhood friends".

Two words for Can"zany": The Monson's....

bartruff1
03-19-2009, 12:45 PM
If he were offered this job and neither does anyone else in the forum... and I do not have a clue who would replace him if he did, and neither does anyone else in this forum...and yes I have read all the BS about fishing and Tommy so don't repeat it for my benefit...

FuManShoes
03-19-2009, 12:45 PM
Ken Bone.

lothar98zag
03-19-2009, 12:49 PM
If he were offered this job and neither does anyone else in the forum... and I do not have a clue who would replace him if he did, and neither does anyone else in this forum...and yes I have read all the BS about fishing and Tommy so don't repeat it for my benefit...
nobobdy knows with 100% certainty what will happen in the future, but it's a fact that more than one person on this board at least "has a clue"

brian_sun
03-19-2009, 01:01 PM
Wow, just wow.

But I looked through the Oregonian website, and there is nothing about Kent's status. All I saw was Kent was supposed to meet with the AD.

Regardless, if Kent is fired, the timing is extremely odd. I would think Few will be high on their list, given the relationship between UO's AD and the Few family. They couldn't wait until Saturday or Sunday, after GU finishes all games in Portland? Now, all everybody will talk about between today and Saturday is the UO job status. Few is going to be bombarded with questions like that till he says he's not interested. The timing is just very odd. Maybe UO wants to make a pre-emptive strike against AZ? Besides that, I can't imagine one scenario where you will do it now vs. do it 2 days later. You don't want to put your top candidate in a position where he basically has to come out and deny it.

hockeyzag
03-19-2009, 01:12 PM
The timing of this is just absolutely ridiculous. They couldn't have waited until after the tournament could they. I've never been a real Oregon Hater but this move might get them a place on my "list"

Currently on hockeyzag's list:

University of Washington
UCLA
2004-2005 Boise State Hockey Team

lothar98zag
03-19-2009, 01:18 PM
The timing of this is just absolutely ridiculous. They couldn't have waited until after the tournament could they. I've never been a real Oregon Hater but this move might get them a place on my "list"
A lot of deals are made during the final four because all the coaches go there, so firings during the tourney are understandable, but UofO probably should at least wait until the games have been played in Portland...

brian_sun
03-19-2009, 01:27 PM
A lot of deals are made during the final four because all the coaches go there, so firings during the tourney are understandable, but UofO probably should at least wait until the games have been played in Portland...

However, I did read Mike Belloti is going on vacation to Italy tomorrow. Given how that turd handled things in the past during his coaching tenure, I am not surprise. Maybe this is the new way UO will do things?

As much as I hate UO as a UW fan, this job with its support and money, is one of the top jobs in the west coast. Who'd thought the UO and AZ job will be both open in the same year.

bartruff1
03-19-2009, 01:33 PM
nobobdy knows with 100% certainty what will happen in the future, but it's a fact that more than one person on this board at least "has a clue"...but it is annoying to me to read people speaking with absolute certainty about something that is speculation.. granted, there are some "clues" based on past events...but the fact is no one knows....probably not even Mark.

cbbfanatic
03-19-2009, 02:10 PM
...but it is annoying to me to read people speaking with absolute certainty about something that is speculation.. granted, there are some "clues" based on past events...but the fact is no one knows....probably not even Mark.

agree with this and your other post fully

i find it very arrogant for anyone to pretend like they know all the details on something like this, even if they are "close" to coach few.

also smacks as arrogant to not see the massive appeal of this job, this isnt the same as monson/minnesota

jazzdelmar
03-19-2009, 02:21 PM
on the Spitzer matter: take it from one who spent 25 years in the system, nothing is as murky and back channeled as high level college politics....some wise man once told me: "college politics are so dirty because the stakes are so low."

not saying this is the case at GU, but when you add a layer of religious order politics, oh my!!!!!