PDA

View Full Version : Deon Thompson of North Carolina

BobZag
03-25-2007, 02:30 PM
Dang, I wish we had this big kid from SoCal. He visited Gonzaga and we were in his top-3 but ultimately the allure of UNC won out. Deon is just what we needed to replace JP.

He had a terrific first-half vs G-Town.

Dang.

sittingon50
03-25-2007, 04:21 PM
Agreed BZ. He has been fun to watch all year.

IronLions
03-25-2007, 05:52 PM
I know how you feel BZ. In the begining of the summer where is recruiting blew up he had LMU as possiable. Obvioulsy that went out the windown when UNC and Gonzaga came calling.

:o

Zag79
03-26-2007, 10:48 AM
agree with all of the above, and would like to add that he would be using his skills more here than at NC as well. with josh out or even with him in, deon would have been great.

cggonzaga
03-26-2007, 10:50 AM
Pretty sure Theo wouldn't be here if Deon had come.

Zag79
03-26-2007, 12:21 PM
thanks cg... :D

EL MUSTACIO
03-26-2007, 08:23 PM
This may be an obvious question, but was Theo the Biggs McGee that BZ was referring to all of last summer?

ZagNut08
03-27-2007, 01:13 AM
believe so

deon would have been a great help this year...but so would a healthy theo

Northspokane
03-28-2007, 03:19 PM
Do you blame Deon choosing UNC over GU? Although it would have been great if he came... I mean as a recruit yourself where would you rather go? Honestly now..

MDABE80
03-28-2007, 03:34 PM
I think Theo would be a good pick regardless. You'll see....he's got skills Deon just won't have. As for where I would go if I was Deon.......depends on what a kid wants. He'd get focused training at GU and he gets it at UNC as well. UNC is a great program. So is GU. Fame is good. North do you think YOU would go to UNC? Sounds like it. Outside of being at an Elite name program..why would you chose UNC? Remember that GU beat UNC this past year. I'm just curious. This is something that's bugged( well has made me wonder) me in recent years.

UNC would be your choice and why? Honestly now....Abe

xjzico
03-28-2007, 03:34 PM
Believe Biggs= Theo Davis

Never thought anyone blamed Deon for not coming. It's his choice and he went to a good program. If it were me, I'd chose GU because winning the first national championship for GU would stroke my ego a bit more than winning another title for UNC.

CDC84
03-28-2007, 03:36 PM
I can't blame any recruit for choosing UNC. Great program, great coach.

That being said, if he had chosen Gonzaga, he would've been a starter this year, and he would've gotten way more minutes. He would've been GU's top option in the low blocks as a scorer, allowing Heytvelt to play out on the perimeter more. He wouldn't have run the risk of being recruited over, etc.

I felt it was a poor choice at the time because I felt Deon was a 4 year player that would just be recruited over again and again. However, I think Deon has shown enough to Roy Williams...he's likely to be a stater at UNC next season. Brandan Wright is likely done, so that'll open up a spot for him.

I think Theo Davis is going to be pretty darn good in the future, but Deon would've been nice to have had this season......

Northspokane
03-28-2007, 03:53 PM
ABE are you serious??? Look past your biased opinion and please don't post bogus facts about schools admissions in this post. GU beat UNC thats great but I would trade that win for an ACC title and Elite Eight appearance anyday of the week. GU always great against big time opponents but is never consistent and then chokes when it matters i.e. NCAA tourney. If I were a recruit I would choose UNC without a doubt. How can you turn down all of the hype, connections, prestige, and Final Four appearances 16. I dont mean to build up UNC but come on... ABE honestly.

GoZags
03-28-2007, 03:57 PM
CDC, it's interesting to see how Theo and Deon compared. The RCSI (combines the rankings of 6 services) rated Theo the #36 best prospect from '05 and Deon the #43 best prospect from '06.

However, UNC also had 4 kids come in with Deon who were rated higher than he.

It's sure too bad Theo was injured in camp and had shoulder surgery. Something tells me he would have helped this past season. Something tells me he's going to help a great deal in the future.

http://home.nc.rr.com/rsci/RSCI_100_Final_2005.htm

http://home.nc.rr.com/rsci/RSCI_100_PostSeason_2006.htm

MDABE80
03-28-2007, 04:12 PM
North I think you should go read that admissions thread again. I added all kinds of solid data. SO what's the answer? ---------->"How can you turn down all of the hype, connections, prestige, and Final Four appearances 16. " All the hype? connections to? prestige? and old FF appearances? This is it? That's your answer? hype ,. connections amd prestige? I sorta thought something like these things were in your mind. The kid will get hype???? Says a lot...Abe

Northspokane
03-28-2007, 04:29 PM
Yeah Abe all the Final Four appearances... the last one was 2005 and they won a NC. They also have 22 elite 8 appearances. He is going to a place where they win. period. And connections to scouts, GMs, presidents. Michael Jordan is an alum i think... (sarcasm) Larry Brown has connections. Not to mention the current alum in the NBA. And I still can't get over your statement that GU is just as tough as a school to get into as all the PAC10. Most of my entire family has gone to GU and recieved great educations but USC, UCLA, CAL, UW, Stanford are all harder schools to get into. I know you got your facts from the school websites but try to pick up a copy of princeton review or US news to see objective ratings and make opinions.

CDC84
03-28-2007, 04:37 PM
CDC, it's interesting to see how Theo and Deon compared. The RCSI (combines the rankings of 6 services) rated Theo the #36 best prospect from '05 and Deon the #43 best prospect from '06.

Theo is very talented. I feel Theo would've helped GU as well had he been healthy. That being said, Deon is a more physically developed player right now. He's got more bulk on him. Theo still needs more meat on his bones. Hopefully this redshirt season is allowing him to make some major progress in this area....

In time, I think Theo could be just as good, and possibly better than Thompson. I just think Deon could've given us more right off the bat.

BobZag
03-28-2007, 04:53 PM
ABE are you serious??? Look past your biased opinion and please don't post bogus facts about schools admissions in this post. GU beat UNC thats great but I would trade that win for an ACC title and Elite Eight appearance anyday of the week. GU always great against big time opponents but is never consistent and then chokes when it matters i.e. NCAA tourney. If I were a recruit I would choose UNC without a doubt. How can you turn down all of the hype, connections, prestige, and Final Four appearances 16. I dont mean to build up UNC but come on... ABE honestly.

At least GU gets to the NCAA's every year, unlike UW. ;)

Northspokane
03-28-2007, 05:01 PM
who said anything about UW?

BobZag
03-28-2007, 05:09 PM
Me.

JLGutrocks
03-28-2007, 05:28 PM
nice one Bob! you rock.

and yes, my sentiments exactly.

I am laughing too hard.

:D

MDABE80
03-28-2007, 06:22 PM
North...those facts I quoted are from the Princeton website. If you go back and read again you might notice that. Why all the rancor though? All I asked was your reasons for favoriing a HS kid going to UNC. Thus far, your reasons are hype, prestige of UNC, etc. Perhaps I should have made my question clearer. I was thinking more along the lines of training, something more "on the court" in an upcoming season.....not something historical i.e. all the FF's. historical performances, etc. Sorry I wasn't clear enough. Abe

SteeleMan
03-28-2007, 07:04 PM
deon at GU would have separated his shoulder, torn an acl or broken a foot... I'm kidding, but just think of how different the season could have been had Theo not gotten hurt. Maybe the "incident" never happens and Theo develops into a scoring presense in the post, offering Josh those things that CDC alludes to.

Maybe.

Northspokane
03-28-2007, 07:14 PM
Abe, I think the chance to go to a final four every year is a great reason.On the court, I think the style that North Carolina is fun for players to play. The coaching staff is great at developing bigs and UNC is great school. GU has great coaches and a great program. But I think playing in front of 21750 fans every home game and hanging out with Dean Smith and Michael Jordan on ocasion would be really cool. They have great facilities and the history is overwelming. He had to be behind Tyler and Brandan but now he has a chance to shine. GU is in great hands and has a bright future. It is going to be awesome. Im sorry if it was getting hostle I am just passionate about some opinions as Im sure you are as well. GU can make its own history now...

btzag
03-28-2007, 08:08 PM
He had to be behind Tyler and Brandan but now he has a chance to shine.

Have either of those two declared for the NBA and signed with agents yet? Maybe that's assumed...and I'm not in the loop. Still not sure Deon will ever reach his full potential on that team and that was his decision to make. Maybe those two don't leave for the pro's this year and he's stuck behind them again and then Williams recruits some more high school AA's at the 4/5 in 2008.... OR maybe he turns into the next Sean May, Rasheed, Perkins, etc... as I'm sure that's what every kid thinks when they commit to UNC. Fact is, UNC will not significantly develop his game better than GU could so it's a personal decision. My opinion is it was a wrong one, but oh well on to the next GU-prospect like Babbitt, oh oops next one.....

Northspokane
03-28-2007, 10:25 PM
Brandan is probably gone and it is assumed that Tyler will come back..

Zag79
03-29-2007, 01:16 AM
not to hijack a thread, but theo is going to do some nasty things (in the good way) ;) at GU. his game reminds me of the guys you need to get you over the hump, i.e. this season that just ended. with josh playing outside and theo downlow, whoo.