PDA

View Full Version : Coach Few is Bearish

RagTagZag
03-18-2009, 09:25 PM
I happened to catch Coach Few today on an episode of "Seasons of the Fly" on FSN, channel 30 in Tacoma. He was fly fishing for large trout/salmon on the Kulik River in the Katmai Park of Alaska. He mentioned that the Kulik was "the best all-day fishing he has ever had". However, Katmai Park is also home to the largest concentration of grizzly bears in the world. It was very interesting to see Coach Few fishing waist deep in water, with a grizzly bear also fishing less than 150 feet in the background. Coach Few didn't seem overly concerned with the bears.;)

rawkmandale
03-18-2009, 09:31 PM
One he called "Omar" and the other he called "Big John." Pretty much ignorred them after that.

Zerogame
03-18-2009, 09:32 PM
A buddy of mine is a guide that frequently runs into Few on the Columbia. He says The coach is so focused he never takes his eye off the water when they meet and converse. Hope he has tunnel vision on Akron right now.

RagTagZag
03-18-2009, 09:36 PM
Quite possibly, but the bears I saw were definitely higher on the food chain than Samhan!

sullyzag66
03-18-2009, 09:59 PM
I happened to catch Coach Few today on an episode of "Seasons of the Fly" on FSN, channel 30 in Tacoma. He was fly fishing for large trout/salmon on the Kulik River in the Katmai Park of Alaska. He mentioned that the Kulik was "the best all-day fishing he has ever had". However, Katmai Park is also home to the largest concentration of grizzly bears in the world. It was very interesting to see Coach Few fishing waist deep in water, with a grizzly bear also fishing less than 150 feet in the background. Coach Few didn't seem overly concerned with the bears.;)
Is there a coaching opening in Alaska? :rolleyes:

PDXZag
03-19-2009, 06:03 AM
I love GH's show. I saw the same episode. That was utterly amazing footage. These guys were fishing just a few feet away from some huge bears. It takes some serious stones to fish in that river.

brian_sun
03-19-2009, 06:57 AM
I love GH's show. I saw the same episode. That was utterly amazing footage. These guys were fishing just a few feet away from some huge bears. It takes some serious stones to fish in that river.

Come on, bears don't attack human beings unless they are provoked. That's so common knowledge. Why would Few or any human being be scared if a bear is 100 ft away?

LongIslandZagFan
03-19-2009, 07:12 AM
Come on, bears don't attack human beings unless they are provoked. That's so common knowledge. Why would Few or any human being be scared if a bear is 100 ft away?

There is a fundamental difference between a grizzly and a brown or black bear. Plus, in any given situation, you never typically know the state the animal is in... hungry, protective, what have you. So what is "common knowledge" can many times be wrong... and get you killed. Ask Timothy Treadwell... oh wait... he got eaten by Grizzly Bears in the same forest that Few was fishing in.

hockeyzag
03-19-2009, 07:24 AM
LIZF, Didn't know people fished those rivers on the island of Kodiak? So many of some of the world's largest bears you'd think that wouldn't be a very smart decision.

johnwzag
03-19-2009, 07:27 AM

Most of the time that is true, but just like dogs and other animals -- you run into a bad one at the wrong time. Even black bears have known to go crazy and stalk people. If they have babies, pray you are not around.

I was lucky enough when I was young, to be able to go with this guy my dad knew, replacing radio collars on a bunch of black bears. That was a lot of fun. Although, they do not like being woke up from hybernation either.

LongIslandZagFan
03-19-2009, 07:30 AM
LIZF, Didn't know people fished those rivers on the island of Kodiak? So many of some of the world's largest bears you'd think that wouldn't be a very smart decision.

Same national park... and yes I do know people fish up there... but it is also foolish to assume a wild animal will NOT consider you prey.

hockeyzag
03-19-2009, 07:38 AM
Same national park... and yes I do know people fish up there... but it is also foolish to assume a wild animal will NOT consider you prey.

I stand corrected :) , and yes it is extremely foolish.
I can speak from experience as I've personally had a grizzly bear no farther than 15 feet behind me while I was fishing a river feeding into Lake Lliamna. He was looking for fish and looked at me for only a second, but it scared the bejesus outta me.

webspinnre
03-19-2009, 08:24 AM
Most bears mostly ignore humans as long as humans stay out of their way.

Having grown up in Alaska, one of my favorite bear jokes:

How do you tell the difference between a brown bear and a black bear? If you climb a tree and the bear climbs up after you, its a black bear. If you climb a tree and it tears the tree down, it's a brown bear. :)

johno
03-19-2009, 09:53 AM
Having had several run ins with bears I fail to see how you can appreciate a wonderful fishing experience when monster lurk close by. Perhpas there was a guy off cameral holding a high powered rifle.

I'd come home a frazzled mess, instead of relaxed, rested, and rejuvinated which is why I go fishing.

Zerogame
03-19-2009, 10:12 AM
Mark Few says, "Bears, what bears?"

MedZag
03-19-2009, 10:17 AM
When bears see Mark Few, they drop and curl.

Ikancagin
03-19-2009, 10:40 AM

After all, I think Few can out run GH.

TheBunnieRancher
03-19-2009, 12:37 PM
I don't know how comfortable I would want to get around Alaska Browns...
Check this out

webspinnre
03-19-2009, 01:27 PM
I don't know how comfortable I would want to get around Alaska Browns...
Check this out

And that's my 2nd favorite Alaskan bear joke. Nicely done. :D