PDA

View Full Version : Who Will Win the Hustle Battle?

BobZag
03-18-2009, 11:19 AM
Diving for loose balls.
Going hard after rebounds out of your area.
Stealing the ball.
Beating the defender to the hoop.
Deflections.
Causing disruptions on D.

All the little things that can mean the difference between winning and losing, and few of them show up in the box score.

So, will Gonzaga make the majority of hustle plays, or will Akron?

sullyzag66
03-18-2009, 11:24 AM
Diving for loose balls.
Going hard after rebounds out of your area.
Stealing the ball.
Beating the defender to the hoop.
Deflections.
Causing disruptions on D.

All the little things that can mean the difference between winning and losing, and few of them show up in the box score.

So, will Gonzaga make the majority of hustle plays, or will Akron?

I don't remember the game, but it wasn't that long ago, when Josh was on the floor after the ball. That's what I want to see tomorrow.

jim77
03-18-2009, 11:41 AM
To be honest I think we're gonna get out hustled. However, I'm hoping our talent will pull us through. Imagine the Eveready Bunny on Steroids.....that's Akron.

gamagin
03-18-2009, 11:50 AM
outhustle them for 40 minutes. We will be ready.

They will make their stand at half court and it is our task to break their defensive wall and I believe strongly that we will.

They are bound to have some breaks, too, but we will have & make many, many more than they do. We are a better team. By far.

Go TEAM Zags !

theirishzag03
03-18-2009, 12:00 PM
I really hope we come out from the opening tip and pressure full court. I hope we set the tone very early. We need to impose OUR will and control the tempo from the start. I hope we substitute early and often and stay "fresh." Josh needs to be aggressive, yet stay out of foul trouble. I want to see us getting our hands on every loose ball, fighting for rebounding position, and not ever getting beat back down court.

Not looking past AK, WK, or Ill....but I really, really, really want to see a repeat--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoY3Pb14xQU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InqJS6ONXPE&feature=PlayList&p=F1FBB48267AEFD99&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=11

maybe not the 10-0 start...:)

bballbeachbum
03-18-2009, 12:36 PM
here's a couple other hustle battles I'll be watching in this one

-boxing out the perimeter; ESPN analyst Marc Adams called Akron the best perimeter rebounders in the country...man, we got to battle their a ss es off here...battle, and win the boards, inside and out

-knocking the McKnight brothers off their mark in the low block, and not underestimating Linhart--go after that guy cuz he'll come after you while trying to lull you to sleep!

-ball pressure that distracts and limits the ball handler without fouling so teammates can get in the passing lanes without over comitting--deflections, steals, disrupting like BZ said

(closely followed by)

-cutting off penetration without needing help

-creating good transition opportunites, not allowing any--so team defending, team rebounding, team floor running, team execution, with decisive and aggressive decision making...and finishing STRONG! or pull out and set up aggressively. Bad turnovers in transition give easy chances the other way, a serious no no in March. Let's convert! and limit the Zips at the same time!

We battle, and we hustle, and we battle...and we will win.

I believe.

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!

ZagLawGrad
03-18-2009, 01:33 PM
I don't know for sure who will win this battle, but I do know for certain who better win it.

FuManShoes
03-18-2009, 01:59 PM
I don't remember the game, but it wasn't that long ago, when Josh was on the floor after the ball. That's what I want to see tomorrow.

It was telling, because the Zags were way up and it was late in the game and Josh was still playing all out. I cannot wait to see the refocused Zags take their A-game to the Dance. I imagine there will be stretches when shots won't fall, but I fully expect a team that has been burned before by lacsadaisical play to bring it every game.