PDA

View Full Version : Practice at the Rose Garden Today (post reports here)

PuffZag
03-18-2009, 09:56 AM
It looks like fans can get a glimpse of the teams today:

http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/kgw_031809_sports_march_madness_fans.4942e2bb.html

75Zag
03-18-2009, 10:23 AM
Sounds like a photo-opportunity more than a practice, but good opportunity for people without tickets - especially families with little kids - to get a free look at the Bulldogs and other teams. Nice of the NCAA and Rose Garden to set this up.

Go Bulldogs!

2011Zag
03-18-2009, 11:18 AM
I like how the NCAA allows fans to attend all or most of the practices for the tournament. It's always interesting to see how different teams run their practices and how serious they are. In '01 when GU played MSU in the Sweet 16 my Dad and I wondered down to the Georgia Dome the day before the game to check out practice. It was really relaxed and fan friendly.

Michigan State was practicing right after us and there must have been 2,000 State fans that showed up to watch practice. If you are in Portland today you should try on making it down there for a bit.

lothar98zag
03-18-2009, 12:59 PM
hopefully we'll get some reports from people that went

FuManShoes
03-18-2009, 01:22 PM
I attended one of these sessions in 2004 when the Zags wer eplaced in Seattle. Stepp didn't miss a shot in practice then laid an egg a few days later against Nevada. It was still a fun time, though. It's amazing how good the players are at this level. Take any chance you can to see them live.

sullyzag66
03-18-2009, 05:53 PM
Just got back from watching the Zags shoot around in the Rose Garden. Not really a practice unless they walked through some stuff before I got there. They looked loose and spent some time with kids (and some adults) on the sidelines signing autographs. Pargo hit a half-court shot much to his and the small crowd's delight near the end.

Looking forward to tomorrow.

scrooner
03-18-2009, 06:39 PM
Gibbs can dunk, and Poling doesn't look waifish anymore.

MDABE80
03-18-2009, 06:44 PM
Las t I saw Andy.I hardly recognised him. He's gained quite a lot of firm muscle. He looked to be up near 200-210 lbs being conservative. I like him...nice kid and he'll be ready to go in 7 months! BEAT AKRON!!!

Goshzagit
03-18-2009, 07:21 PM
I heard the Zags were the only team in the open shoot-around that didn't scrimmage, practice, or shoot. Supposedly, the team spent the 45 minutes doing half-court trick shots, a dunk contest, and socializing with the friends/family. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing. I believe its great to stay loose and have fun, but also equally important to remain focused. I have no doubt the team is focused, yet I found it interesting they were the only team who didn't actually shoot-around.

lothar98zag
03-19-2009, 03:37 PM
pix - http://www.spokesman.com/photosets/2009/mar/19/gonzaga-readies-akron/

GU69
03-19-2009, 04:21 PM
I heard the Zags were the only team in the open shoot-around that didn't scrimmage, practice, or shoot.

This bothered me for a second.

But then it occurred to me that Mark Few has more experience with this situation than most of the other coaches in Portland.

azzagfan
03-19-2009, 04:37 PM
Normally, the teams hold their "real" practices at local high schools or JCs. My guess is we have a few options down there (like Poling's old high school). These coaches are far too afraid of the "Belichek principle" to do any real practicing in the public practices.