PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs Akron prediction thread

Reborn
03-18-2009, 05:32 AM
Hi everyone. Hope you all are doing good. The weeks going by pretty fast here. I'm surprised. I can't believe that tomorrow is almost here. Anyway, I"m taking Gonzaga over Akron.

Gonzaga 75
Akron 57

Gonzaga is ready to play. They are tired of waiting. Gonzaga, once is again is difficult for Akron to defend because we have so many weapons. Everyone has a good game, and we continue to pass with the precision of a surgeon. The amazing thing, is that there has been so much talk about toughness that many people have forgotten the power of a brilliantly placed pass. Passing is like a lazer beam. It's not that big, and in fact can be tiny, but it penetrates steel and metal quite easily. The Zags look very good in their first NCAA tournament win in two years.

I know Akron's coach likes boxing. I do too. Gonzaga is like Ali. The Zags like Ali, understand what power really is. It's mulitfaceted. It's just not brute strength, as some believe. I think the greatest kind of power in basktball is team chemistry, and the Zags seem to understand that finally, and are really playing well together now. They look so tight.

The Zips are a great opponent, and are tough. But they fell into the trap of believing that Gonzaga is not tough. They have no answers at all for the kind of toughness the Zags have. Austin and Josh control the inside, and are guards are too big, and although they guard us close our execution of our offensive sets overwhelm them. The Zags score inside in bundles, and are 23-33 at the foul line.

zagsmyboys
03-18-2009, 05:58 AM
I know for a fact the Zags are hungry and they are ready to play some of the best basketball we have seen from them yet. I for one am very excited to see them play again. When it showed them getting on the bus to portland they were all very focused. They are also all very healthy, and that is a good thing. All I have to say is watch out Zips......the Zags are in town!!

Zags for life!!!!

bartruff1
03-18-2009, 06:11 AM
I know for a fact the Zags are hungry and they are ready to play some of the best basketball we have seen from them yet. I for one am very excited to see them play again. When it showed them getting on the bus to portland they were all very focused. They are also all very healthy, and that is a good thing. All I have to say is watch out Zips......the Zags are in town!!...

Zags for life!!!! I sure hope you are right, but the Portland State game still haunts me...

Baldwinzag
03-18-2009, 06:16 AM
I believe the Zags win this one, but there is no chance this game will be a blow-out considering the circumstances. Akron nation has waited over 20 years for this occasion and their players are going to give every ounce and play with nothing to lose. We can't forget they are the champions of the MAC, which is arguably a stronger conference overall than the WCC. Of course our players will play hard too, but considering the Zags luck vs. up-and-coming Mid Majors over the years, Akron will more than likely shoot lights out and at least one Akron player will have a career night shooting and/or scoring. Also, I've never, ever in my 12+ years as a die-hard Zags fan seen us start strong following a two-week layoff. Even a week layoff has hurt us in the past as we generally come out flat and lethargic, typically requiring a 10 point deficit to get the engine started. All that said, I do have a feeling this year is different, but it is just a feeling and until these Zags prove otherwise, I think it'll be a very close game probably coming down to the final possession.

Zags - 67
Zips - 66

Zags advance to the 2nd Round to face Illini who will ultimately beat WKU by 9.

Go Zags!

LongIslandZagFan
03-18-2009, 06:17 AM
I predict....

More Cowbell.

ZagLawGrad
03-18-2009, 06:18 AM
GU by 12---Zags' tournament experience will serve them well.

We're likely to see a slower start that we would all like to see, but once things get settled down, it'll be all business.

Zips can look forward to gaining some experience this year, better road for them next year.

Reborn
03-18-2009, 06:27 AM
Don't forget that the Zags are the #9 defensive team in USA, and #6 offensive. Akron will NOT shoot lights out against us, and this is NOT going to look anything like the Zags vs Portlland St game. Zips do NOT have enough weapons to keep it close. I'm not trying to be arrongant. I just don't see them being able to keep it close in the second half.

Baldwinzag
03-18-2009, 06:31 AM
If, and I mean IF we get past Akron, I think we'll steamroll our opponent in Round 2 and waltz into the Sweet 16. I just have a feeling we'll be rusty vs Akron, especially considering a nearly perfect performance in Vegas and our two-week "momentum killing" layoff. If the past is any indication following a long hiatus, we'll start cold as the dickens and they'll start hotter than hades...

I firmly believe we'll out-talent Akron in Round 1 but just barely escaping with a win. The good news: win and advance.

ZagLawGrad
03-18-2009, 06:35 AM
...I think we'll steamroll our opponent in Round 2 and waltz into the Sweet 16......

BWZ, I fixed your message! :)

kitzbuel
03-18-2009, 06:38 AM
GU by 7 and all us fans will be stressing at the end and thinking it should have been a wider margin, but we will be happy getting out of the first round.

ZagManFan
03-18-2009, 07:00 AM
This is a prediction right? I should not get "negged" for this like in the past correct? OK then.....

I have seen this team just hit the jets of late. IMHO, I don't think after the 10 minute mark of the first half the game will be close. GU's defense is to much for the Zips in this game and with their tendancy to foul so much, I can see this getting out of hand.

GU 79
Akron 58

zagsmyboys
03-18-2009, 07:01 AM
I sure hope you are right, but the Portland State game still haunts me...

I was at the game against Portland. It was actually my first game at McCarthy. It was a real drag...but I was still happy to be there, it is a great atmosphere. Not only that but the student section was very small because of christmas break.

thibaulm
03-18-2009, 07:02 AM
74 Zags
51 Zips

sullyzag66
03-18-2009, 07:11 AM
CBS will cut away from this game early. Glad I'll be in the house.

Zag4Hire
03-18-2009, 07:27 AM
They are currently using this picture or a variation of it on Yahoo! for the Fantasy section and it says 'Zagged Edge'. I love it. BTW it seems like Gonzaga gets an overwhelming amount of love on Yahoo! I am guessing there are quite a few GU alums working on the sports section. Link is below:
http://d.yimg.com/i/ng/sp/ap_photo/20090213/all/l3641571.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/i/ng/sp/ap_photo/20090213/all/l3641571.jpg

Nevtelen
03-18-2009, 08:05 AM
I think Akron will be comparable to a lot of the better WCC talent GU has faced this season. I think their D and the long lay-off means that GU will shoot cold, at least at the begining of the game and the game will look similar to some of out WCC matches (I'm thinking of USD, SCU): a slow start where we spot Akron a 10-pt lead or so and look asleep/inept, a gradual push towards a low single-digit half-time margin, and a maintenance of that margin througout the second half, though with an inability to really pull away. GU by 7, with the final score in the high 60s.

If the team doesn't wake up in time, this game could be dangerous.

NotoriousZ
03-18-2009, 08:06 AM
I know Akron's coach likes boxing. I do too. Gonzaga is like Ali. The Zags like Ali, understand what power really is. It's mulitfaceted. It's just not brute strength, as some believe. I think the greatest kind of power in basktball is team chemistry, and the Zags seem to understand that finally, and are really playing well together now. They look so tight.

Nice boxing analogy, Reborn. If the Akron is looking for a fight, this could very well be "rope a dope" ala Ali in the Rumble in the Jungle. If we sink our free throws, we'll KO the Zips IMO. Go Zags!

misszigzag
03-18-2009, 08:06 AM
Zags 82
Zips 67

Akron will try and hang tough through the first half, but fatigue and fouls become factors in the second.

jim77
03-18-2009, 10:51 AM
We are gonna find out early that the Zips are for real. Fatique won't be a factor for the Zips. However, fouls may be. Hit you're freethrows Zags. Zags win an ugly game with a couple of T's. Zags 76 Zips 68

MJ777
03-18-2009, 11:03 AM
Seniors do not want the season to end. It will be close for the 1st 15 minutes and then Zags will open up an 8 + point lead and pull away in the second half from the fiesty Zips.

Zags 68, Zips 52

No excuses Zags. 1 possession, 1 game at a time.
Beat Akron!!

GoZAGsMang
03-18-2009, 11:04 AM
65 GU
44 Zips

BellyBusters and tartar for everybody.

GoZAGsMang!!!!

lothar98zag
03-18-2009, 11:16 AM
also, vote in poll for game prediction here - http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=19277

marczagfan
03-18-2009, 01:27 PM
The AKRON coach wants to get physical with Gonzaga and grind it out, I understand we have better athletes but really?...has he seen our backcourt??? Ask the teams we played this year that try to slow it down and get physical...Santa Clara, WSU, and San Diego. We got beat this year when teams shot well from behind the arc. Memphis, UCONN, and Arizona all hit 7 trey's against us, Utah had 9, and Portland State 12. Key to keeping it close against zags (as it is with most talented teams) is to shoot well from outside. Our perimeter defense is much better making the ZAGS very difficult to beat.

Prediction is Pargo and Boldin have big games, zags win 71 - 49.

zagnut52
03-18-2009, 01:45 PM
Gonzaga by about 15....:)

KOzag08
03-18-2009, 01:52 PM
Zags by 17 in a game we should start controlling after about 10 minutes.

Zags 81
Zips 64

EngineerZag
03-18-2009, 02:28 PM
GU 82
Akron 61

I think we'll be rusty in the opening 5-10 minutes but then will really get it going.

I hate how early our conference tournament is. Why do we do that? We should do it like the BCS conferences and have the championship game on Selection Sunday, or the Saturday before.

Angelo Roncalli
03-18-2009, 02:32 PM
I hate how early our conference tournament is. Why do we do that? We should do it like the BCS conferences and have the championship game on Selection Sunday, or the Saturday before.

The conference tournament is played when it is so that both the semis have national TV and the championship game is televised nationally on ESPN in primetime. ESPN is not going to put the WCC on in primetime on Selection Sunday weekend against the Big 10, SEC, Big East, etc.

Its part of the conference's deal with ESPN.

I don't expect it to change.

billyberu
03-18-2009, 03:40 PM
I say Gonzaga starts out quick, Akron makes some defensive adjustments and slows things up a bit mid-1st half. We get a little more seperation at the end of the 1st half and then boat-race Akron in the 2nd half. Final score Bulldogs: 87 Zips: 56
Won't be close.

EngineerZag
03-18-2009, 03:41 PM
You don't think they would find room for at least the championship game in anticipation of GU playing? The championship game of the Southland conference (featuring Stephen F. Austin) made it on ESPN2 on Selection Sunday.

lothar98zag
03-18-2009, 03:51 PM
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/5159/24169025186ba78daa2f.jpg

ZagLawGrad
03-18-2009, 06:55 PM
...I don't expect it to change...

AR---you are obviously a man of great respect and connections---how about pulling a few strings? Make 'em an offer they can't refuse.