PDA

View Full Version : I See a Big Problem

Angelo Roncalli
03-17-2009, 10:54 PM
The UW/Miss.St. game starts @ 1:55 PM on Thursday. The Zags/Zips game is scheduled to start at 4:25 PM.

A typical televised college basketball game goes about 2 hours. That leaves just 30 minutes between the end of their game and the start of ours.

After the UW/Miss.St. game, the entire Rose Garden must be cleared of appx. 20,000 fans. No one will be able to enter the arena until its cleared. I'm highly skeptical of clearing 20,000 people and admitting 20,000 people in 30 minutes.

Anyone know what the Rose Garden/Oregon/NCAA may have in mind?

CB4
03-17-2009, 11:04 PM
I wonder how many students are planning on hiding in bathrooms, corners, under seats, etc. I know I would if I were still in college.

MedZag
03-17-2009, 11:13 PM
They will delay tipoff if necessary.

77Zag
03-18-2009, 06:17 AM
The NCAA has done this for years -- I would trust they are well in control.

Angelo Roncalli
03-18-2009, 06:37 AM
The NCAA has done this for years -- I would trust they are well in control.

When I think of institutions in which I would place trust, the NCAA doesn't exactly pop to the top of the list.

omahazag
03-18-2009, 06:37 AM
If i recall correctly, when i attended the NCAA's in omaha last year, the only section that needed to be cleared from the arena was the team/fan section....each ticket i had was for an entire session (2 morning/afternoon) which included 2 games... we could not leave the building in between games which made for a long moring/afternoon...that said, it only takes about 30 minutes for next game to tip provided all goes well

bartruff1
03-18-2009, 07:04 AM
When I think of institutions in which I would place trust, the NCAA doesn't exactly pop to the top of the list. AIG has insured it will all happen without a hitch...

webspinnre
03-18-2009, 07:11 AM
Yeah, the tickets are per session, not per game. So no one will need to be cleared out. Basically it'll be a few minutes, then GU and Akron will take the floor for warmups. When I travelled with the pep band there were fan sections for each of the 4 teams involved, and most people were around for both games.

ZagLawGrad
03-18-2009, 07:13 AM
AIG has insured it will all happen without a hitch...

lol's---we're in deep trouble for sure now

GoZags
03-18-2009, 07:19 AM
Washington/Miss State plays the 2nd game for Session 1 (which is ticketed Session 1, and has two games - the other being Purdue/N. Iowa).

Gonzaga/Akron play the 1st game of Session 2 (which is ticketed Session 2, and has two games - the other being Illinois/WKU).

Thus, the entire arena will need to be emptied, and re-entered between the Washington game and the Gonzaga game, and it appears that 30 minutes have been allocated to accomplish this task (in previous years -- my experience is a couple of hours were between sessions -- certainly long enough for me to drive to my hotel and return.)

RenoZag
03-18-2009, 07:22 AM
When I attended the ARCO Arena "POD" a few years ago, it was at least an Hour to empty and re-enter. IIRC, the security screening process was a bit of a hold up.

75Zag
03-18-2009, 07:24 AM
Never mind - answered above by a faster typing fan.

ZagLawGrad
03-18-2009, 07:30 AM
Washington/Miss State plays the 2nd game for Session 1 (which is ticketed Session 1, and has two games - the other being Purdue/N. Iowa).

Gonzaga/Akron play the 1st game of Session 2 (which is ticketed Session 2, and has two games - the other being Illinois/WKU).

Thus, the entire arena will need to be emptied, and re-entered between the Washington game and the Gonzaga game, and it appears that 30 minutes have been allocated to accomplish this task (in previous years -- my experience is a couple of hours were between sessions -- certainly long enough for me to drive to my hotel and return.)

This could be a crisis for us Lazy Boy watchers too---when do we put on the hore dervies?

CDC84
03-18-2009, 08:49 AM
The same thing happened a couple of years ago at the subregional in Spokane when the session 1/game 2 contest went overtime. Spokane Arena was less than half empty when the session 2/game 1 contest tipped because they weren't able to pull off the "fan exchange" in time. They will likely only delay the start time of the GU/Akron game to accommodate a 30 minute warm up period in between games, regardless of whether they can pull off the "fan exchange." CBS has a schedule, and they apparently want to adhere to it as much as possible. In addition to messing over the fans who are attending the games, a half empty arena looks terrible on TV....it makes viewers think that the games aren't being supported.

This is one of the negative consequences of having a subregional in the pacific time zone. They have to fit 4 games in at the site, but they can't tip the first game at 9:15am local time because that is just too early to play basketball....so they have to push the schedule up. The logical solution would be to start the session 2/game 1 contest at 4:55pm PDT to allow more time for the fan exchange to occur, but CBS probably doesn't want the tip of the 2nd game to start at 10pm EDT or whatever. They want as many TV viewers as possible. It's really about TV as opposed to the NCAA. CBS calls the shots.

Lurknomore
03-18-2009, 08:56 AM
This is problem for me since I have a child who has a band concert that starts at 7....I already said I was going to be late....did not make them very happy....

Angelo Roncalli
03-18-2009, 09:03 AM
Let's be clear here. The issue is not about the game starting on time. As CDC points out, CBS will see to it, barring OT in the previous game, that the game starts at 4:30. I think it likely that the game will be starting in a virtually empty Rose Garden. If you're used to getting to the arena early to watch warmups, the national anthem, pre-game pageantry, etc., it's not going to happen. Likewise, for those who think that they're going to be able to walk up 15 minutes before tip and get in their seats, I think they're going to encounter huge lines. I hope to be proven wrong. I don't think I will be.

BobZag
03-18-2009, 09:46 AM
A few years ago they emptied out the Spokane Arena and "refilled" it in an hour, but the Rose Garden is much bigger/more people.

Good luck!

kitzbuel
03-18-2009, 09:48 AM
Get there early and don't bring your purse.

75Zag
03-18-2009, 09:57 AM
My advice - don't bring bags or purses that will force you through the "search" line. Otherwise, you can walk right up to the turnstiles and I have never been delayed entering the Rose Garden even when the Blazers are sold out at 19,800 capacity.

Parking near the Rose Garden can be tricky for daytime weekday events. The on-site parking lots don't hold a lot of cars and are the most expensive option. Off-site parking normally relies on various surface lots located North of Broadway Street but most of those lots are affiliated with businesses that will be operating on Thursday and therefore unavailable for Rose Garden parking. I encourage you to check out your parking options early.

The Alumni Association is offering all the Widmer you can drink for $10 starting at 2 pm at the Convention Center - which is 5 or 6 blocks east of the Rose Garden. Looks like it may not be a smart decision to wait until 4:15 to leave the party and head over to the Rose Garden. Easy walk from Convention Center to Rose Garden (or you can take light rail). 50% chance of rain tomorrow, so bring your parka or get wet!

Go Bulldogs, and Welcome to Portland Everyone!

bomberooski
03-18-2009, 10:01 AM
The teams will be warming up during the clear out time I believe so when the arena fills back up it'll be getting close to tip time.

UberZagFan
03-18-2009, 11:15 AM
CDC hit the nail on the head but really this is all he needed to say:

CBS calls the shots.

CDC84
03-18-2009, 11:33 AM
CBS calls the shots

Which is also why the NCAA tournament will never see massive expansion, despite whining coaches like Jim Boeheim who want to see less firings within their profession. Actually, what Boeheim fails to express is that it's in his own self interest to keep the numbers where they are because the reason he owns a big house and earns a big pay check is because he's a highly skilled coach who has proven time and again that he can get his team into the dance on a regular basis, despite the heavy competition that exists for the limited amount NCAA tournament bids that are available.

lothar98zag
03-18-2009, 12:25 PM
I posted about this a few days ago:

Same thing happened 2 years ago in Sacramento. It's a bit annoying, but not too bad. If you are there when they open the doors for the evening session, you won't miss that start. (and they will delay the start of GU's game if needed)

Granted GU played the 2nd of the 2 evening games that night and I waited for the lines to clear while standing next to a tailgate, so I don't know exactly how easy it was for the millions of UCLA fans to see the tip-off, but when I got in, I didn't hear many complaints after the fact. I do seem to recall that the UCLA game tipped a little later than scheduled, but not a lot.

Like others have said, get there early, don't bring guns, and relax.

SWZag
03-18-2009, 01:23 PM
Well, looking at history, why does it take us so long?

According to the following link and from my memory from Latin class, the Flavian Ampitheatre (AKA Roman Coliseum) (http://archaeology.suite101.com/article.cfm/roman_coliseum) held 50,000 people and could empty in a matter of "minutes." I think I remember 15 minutes from my Latin class.

What's out problem? 20,000 and 30 minutes? We'll have plenty of time to use the bathroom, grab a beer and hot dog. :D

SWZag

Fonebone
03-18-2009, 01:32 PM
The reason the roman coliseum could empty out in 15 minutes is that they let the tigers loose in 16 minutes - that created a big incentive for moving quickly.

RenoZag
03-19-2009, 11:25 PM
SO. . .

How did it work out ? Did a lot of fans miss the start of the game ?

Angelo Roncalli
03-19-2009, 11:29 PM
My guess is the arena was a little more than half full at tipoff; fans trickled in over the first 10 minutes of the game. It was getting kinda ugly in the line before the doors opened.

Rangerzag
03-20-2009, 06:21 AM
They didn't help the process any by only opening half of the area up for people to exit. Nothing like walking past half of the turnstiles roped off so you can't get past them. Not talking about permanently installed turnstiles, they are just like the ones that got rolled away for fans to exit. The same people who were standing there to keep you from getting past could have moved them away and then back into place.

I figure most fans who wanted to get back in right away got back in. A pretty fair number trickled in as though they had been off to dine somewhere.