PDA

View Full Version : Self

BobZag
03-24-2007, 05:24 PM
Great collector of McDonalds All-Americans, average coach, underachieving teams. Two 1st-round outs and one elite eight in the last three years.

Afflalo = stud.

Ziggy
03-24-2007, 05:42 PM
Something like 36 steals between the two teams; just crazy defense! And UCLA handled the pressuring traps and hedges so well. What a great college
BB game to watch. Very instructive......

saintzag
03-24-2007, 06:02 PM
Great collector of McDonalds All-Americans, average coach, underachieving teams. Two 1st-round outs and one elite eight in the last three years.

Afflalo = stud.

Excellent recruiter.Therefore better than average coach.http://216.229.189.28/images/icons/icon12.gif
Wink

RenoZag
03-24-2007, 06:40 PM
i Hate Ucla.

That Is All

SteeleMan
03-24-2007, 07:08 PM
Kansas couldn't hit anything up close. reminded me a bit of GU's misses vs. Indiana. That was the difference in the game. Can't really blame those missed lay-in's and put-backs on the Coach. Just ask Few.

But I was thinking a bit of the same thing, Bob, when they threw up Self's "resume" on the screen. Kansas is a young team, that should be even better next season should they stick tobether.

ZagSlug
03-24-2007, 07:19 PM
14 of 33 on dunks and layups. That is a lot of bunnies to miss.

CDC84
03-24-2007, 07:52 PM
He isn't a good offensive coach. I think that's what it comes down to. Kansas' number one problem this entire season was that their players were way too impatient on offense. They simply tried to force the action too much, instead of, like, running plays....the kinds of plays that enable a team to go from getting a good shot to a great shot.

A large part of that is coaching and preparation. Part of it also comes from the fact that as talented as Chalmers, Robinson and Collins are, none of them are good at running their team as a point guard. Guys like Collison, Conley and Green are in so much better control of their teams.

Even in this game, there were so many instances of Kansas putting up shots when they could've gotten something better.

If you look up and down their roster, they should've beaten UCLA. They have way more offensive talent. They should beat UCLA, even with UCLA playing terrific defense, because they can play defense too. But when you lack patience on offense, and cough the ball up, you're doing exactly what Howland wants you to do.

I think KU practices so little patience on offense that it even effects their ability to hit bunny shots...everything is just to do dang rushed and frenetic, as if they're desperate to blow out their opponent or something.

applezag
03-24-2007, 09:07 PM
I wouldn't say that Self is a bad offensive coach, but he wasn't very good today (and maybe not really this year). His system is the high-low game, and I'm not sure that works very well with his guys. I think he knows this, because I didn't see it that much today or this year. It would have been very hard to run against UCLA whatever the case--they defend really really well. I give UCLA a lot of credit in the win too. They brought it today.

DrDrivel
03-24-2007, 10:35 PM
I'm just glad that this year, UCLA and GU didn't actually meet so that I can pull for my Bruins without any residual guilt. I just wish I'd been able to watch the game seated and refreshed instead of working and hungover.

Zags4life
03-24-2007, 10:51 PM
You realize they're forcing Guantanamo inmates to watch round-the-clock replays of last-year's elite-8 game vs. Memphis?

siliconzag
03-25-2007, 11:07 AM
i Hate Ucla.

That Is All

The elegance and simplicity of your post brings tears to my eyes. Well said. I add my heartiest endorsement of this profoundly moving statement.

Sili

youreachiteach
03-25-2007, 06:22 PM
No one wins at Kansas....

except Larry Brown and the Phog.