PDA

View Full Version : Zag Trivia

MJ777
03-17-2009, 03:34 PM
I don't know the answers and thought others would like to know the answers from those in the know.

Were there any Seniors on the 98-99 team that were redshirt freshman on the 94-95 NCAA tourney team? Who?

Board Trivia:
Was there a GU board in 94-95?

Was there a GU board in 98-99?

What were the general expectations before the 99 tourney?
*Happy to be there?
**1 win?
**2 wins?
***Dreaming Big?

Did people expect to beat UCONN in the Elite 8 once they made it that far?
I remember hoping they could beat them as I watched the game in a Camas, WA Pizza parlor (about a mile from where I once watched Richie Frahm play baseball as an 11 or 12 yr old little leaguer in the All star tourney). If there was a board in 99, I was not part of it.

Thanks for the answers.

VinnyZag
03-17-2009, 03:48 PM
That's funny; my family lived in Battleground when I was a kid. I used to ride the bus with Richie and played pickup ball with his older brother.

At least one '98-'99 guy was on the first tourney team, I think ... Mike Leasure, who I think was a sixth-year senior because of some injury issues.

Angelo Roncalli
03-17-2009, 03:49 PM
I don't know the answers and thought others would like to know the answers from those in the know.

Were there any Seniors on the 98-99 team that were redshirt freshman on the 94-95 NCAA tourney team? Who?

Board Trivia:
Was there a GU board in 94-95?

Was there a GU board in 98-99?

What were the general expectations before the 99 tourney?
*Happy to be there?
**1 win?
**2 wins?
***Dreaming Big?

Did people expect to beat UCONN in the Elite 8 once they made it that far?
I remember hoping they could beat them as I watched the game in a Camas, WA Pizza parlor (about a mile from where I once watched Richie Frahm play baseball as an 11 or 12 yr old little leaguer in the All star tourney). If there was a board in 99, I was not part of it.

Thanks for the answers.

Mike Leasure may have been a medical redshirt, not positive.

There was a board in 98-99, it began operating at the end of the season. Some of the people who post here posted on that board.

GU fans were happy to be in the tournament, and believed we had a team that could win a game. The sentiment began during the season when GU defeated UW, which was ranked in the top 25 (#17, as I recall) and was reinforced after GU boatraced Santa Clara in the WCC championship game. Things fell in place when GU was sent to Seattle to face a Minnesota team that awash in academic scandal. The team was very focused, believing they should have had a berth the previous year. After watching Stanford play in the first round, I know a lot of GU fans thought we stood a decent chance against #2 Stanford. Coming into the tournament, I don't think that many, if any, believed GU had a shot at the sweet 16. As soon as the Zags beat Stanford, I was on the phone and made reservations to Phoenix. I remember thinking that I had to go, because I was doubtful a sweet 16 would ever occur again.

I don't recall thinking much about the UConn matchup until after the Florida game was over. My guess is that most fans weren't looking ahead much.

MJ777
03-18-2009, 12:55 AM
Thanks for your memories Angelo. Not many schools can claim 3 Sweet 16s and an Elite 8 in the past 10 years.

Vinny,
I think I was watching Richie and the BG LL All Stars in a District tournament in Camas, but it might have been the state tourney...oooy that was nearly 20years ago and my memory is fading.

...When will the Zags get another Vancouver/Clark County kid? Frahm, Gourde, Dickau and Raivio were all great Zags. I guess it will be when there is a 4 star kid in the area that fits into the program to answer my own question.

Go Zags...Beat Akron....Focus