PDA

View Full Version : What is a ZIP - Orgins of a nickname

SageOfZagville
03-17-2009, 09:15 AM
Courtesy: Akron Media Relations
Release: 06/29/2006

http://www.gozips.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10800&ATCLID=323405

One of the unique nicknames in all of intercollegiate athletics belongs to the University of Akron. Originally Zippers, athletics director Kenneth “Red” Cochrane officially shortened the nickname to the Zips in 1950. Twenty-five years earlier a campus-wide contest had been conducted to choose a nickname for the University’s athletics teams.

Suggestions submitted by students, faculty and alumni included Golden Blue Devils, Tip Toppers, Rubbernecks, Hillbillies, Kangaroos and Cheveliers. After a three-way vote — one by the student body, one by the University lettermen and one by the local sports writers and faculty representatives — the winner was decided on January 15, 1926.

The winner, freshman Margaret Hamlin, suggested “Zippers” the name of a very popular rubber overshoe (over 500,000 sold the first year) invented by Akron’s B.F. Goodrich Company. She received a prize of $10 for the winning suggestion, which was inspired by the $6 pair of rubber shoes, the “Zipper Boot.” Permission to use the name was granted by the Goodrich Company.

Goodrich introduced its rubber galoshes in 1923 and it made a lasting impression on the world. The footwear featured an ingenious invention, a slide fastener with interlocking metal teeth. With a quick pull of a tab, the overshoes opened wide or sealed shut.

The product’s original suggested name was the “Mystik Boot,” but the name just did not work for Goodrich President Bertram G. Work.

“What we need is an action word,’’ he told a group of sales representatives. “Something that will dramatize the way the thing zips.’’

From that he said, “Why not call it the Zipper?’’

SageOfZagville
03-17-2009, 09:27 AM
https://admin.imodules.com/s/979/images/FileLibrary/961ef19a-9e3c-4a5e-91a7-ac61d9d7fb17.mov

Our Bunnies Rock

Psychozag
03-17-2009, 09:39 AM
https://admin.imodules.com/s/979/images/FileLibrary/961ef19a-9e3c-4a5e-91a7-ac61d9d7fb17.mov

Our Bunnies Rock

That's actually pretty cool. I like it.

gamagin
03-17-2009, 09:51 AM
the mascot is a female kangaroo named zippy or zipper and that name later was shortened to zips, fwiw.

Go TEAM Zags !

zagzealot
03-17-2009, 11:23 AM
Wow, my dad who is now in his 80's, wore overshoe galoshes back in the days when he went to work in a suit every day as a stockbroker. Called them his "rubbers". Imagine if Akron had adopted the nickname "The Rubbers" instead of "The Zips"! Wonder what the mascot would look like... :)

former1dog
03-17-2009, 11:30 AM
Wow, my dad who is now in his 80's, wore overshoe galoshes back in the days when he went to work in a suit every day as a stockbroker. Called them his "rubbers". Imagine if Akron had adopted the nickname "The Rubbers" instead of "The Zips"! Wonder what the mascot would look like... :)

My Dad had a pair (or more) of those also. I think he called them "overshoes".

johnwzag
03-17-2009, 11:32 AM

Nice one ZZ :)

gamagin
03-17-2009, 11:58 AM

rubbers were the rubber boots that covered your wingtips up to about the ankle, mostly for rain and light snow. kind of white collar and worn by folks with suits. galoshes and overshoes covered up to about the mid calf and worked better in deeper snow. Boots sort of sent them both mostly into oblivian.

zagnut52
03-17-2009, 01:23 PM
Its a drive in, isn't it????!!!!:D ;)

kitzbuel
03-17-2009, 01:31 PM

Like this, of course.

http://tishon.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/michelinman2.jpg

Why?

ZagBert
03-17-2009, 09:05 PM
From WIKI
Sundbäck's invention of the Hookless No. 2 took place while he was working for the Hookless Fastener Company in Meadville, which had previously been set up to manufacture the Hookless No. 1. Depending on which improvement one wants to consider to constitute the "invention" of the zipper, the zipper was invented either in Meadville, Chicago, or one of the other previously mentioned cities. The B. F. Goodrich Company coined the name Zipper in 1923 for the line of rubber overshoes that it made using the fastener. The name slowly came to be associated with the fastener itself, and eventually acquired generic status.