PDA

View Full Version : Zags watching 2011 North Dakota Guard Joe Hanstad

ZagNative
03-17-2009, 09:06 AM
Many thanks to SLOZag for some excellent sleuthing, we've found that Leon Rice recently traveled to North Dakota to watch the stellar tournament play of ..

Joe Hanstad, sophomore guard for Dickinson H.S., of Dickinson, N. Dakota. It's still early enough in this 6'4 guard's career that Scout and Rivals still haven't done in-depth analysis, but here are a couple of tidbits:

Monke Business (http://www.areavoices.com/monke/?blog=45421)
Updates and info on Dickinson State athletics and the Dickinson area high schools

Tourney recap: Hanstad proves himself

Dickinson High sophomore Joe Hanstad had an interesting Class A state tournament to say the least.

The talk all weekend amongst the media members in attendance was "How good is this kid?" Most wanted to see if the 6-foot-4 guard was worthy of the Divsion I hype he has received.

Well, after being bottled up by No. 1-ranked Mandan for the second time this season in Friday night's semifinal loss, Hanstad took out his frustrations on Bismarck High in the third-place game. He scored 42 points and had eight rebounds while shooting 16 of 27 from the field to help the Midgets to a 65-62 win.

He scored his 1,000th career point early in the first half when he stole the ball at midcourt and raced to the basket for a layup. He finished the tournament with averages of 27.3 points and 10.5 rebounds. He now has 1,029 career points, which is well on his way to surpassing all-time Class A scoring leader Jeff Boschee's mark of 1,996.

A friend asked me if he just didn't get any support from his teammates today and that really wasn't the case. After he made his first five or six shots from the perimeter it was more of a "let's get out of his way and let him work" philosophy.

What really impressed me with Joe this weekend was his ball-handling and rebounding. He averaged 6 boards a game this season but really crashed 'em this weekend. He also proved that he's contining to develop into a do-everything guard who can not only handle the rock, but get to the rack and create his own jumper. One reporter colleague said Hanstad needs to get quicker and work on getting his shot off in traffic. He's absolutely right but that's where this summer and ECI ball will come in handy.

As for the hype? Well, the rumor all weekend was that Gonzaga was here to watch the first couple games and NDSU coach Saul Phillips, who has already offered him a scholarship, was here Thursday and Friday but missed today's game because of the team's first practice since winning the Summit League title.

In all liklihood, a strong summer with his ECI team could mean the difference between Hanstad ending up at NDSU, Gonzaga or ... dare I say it ... somewhere like Kansas or Duke. We're going to find out in the next couple of years and all I know is, as long as he's a Midget, I want to be where I can watch him.

The Prep Scene (http://www.areavoices.com/preps/?blog=44709)
Providing insight on high school sports from Southwest North Dakota.

Joe...Hanstad...wow

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Recruits/2011%20Recruits/Hanstad/2011HanstadJoeDickinsonHSND.jpg

Everyone's heard all about the sophomore sensation Joe Hanstad of Dickinson High. Let me crunch some numbers for you.

He averaged 14 ppg as a freshman last year and has an average of 28 this season. In the first round of the WDA tourney, Bismarck High held him to 19 points. He enters today's game with 907 career points. He's guaranteed two more games at WDA.

If so facto, Hanstad could be going for his 1,000th point at the Class A state tournament assuming they make it. Add two games to 907 points. Let's go with his average at 28. That's 963 points going into state if they go. If they do, he's guaranteed two games.

Pretty exciting stuff for the young lad. Hanstad has made a quite an impression...I know the SDSU scout was pretty impressed after he watched him go for 38 against top-ranked Mandan at home. He went for 41 against Minot at home with the NDSU scout in attendance.

He's a great player and what I like most about him is his cool demeanor. He's just a high school kid and he really does make his teammates better on the floor. It'll be interesting...we'll try and keep you updated on his point totals.

Boschee's record (1,996) could very well be in jeopardy...well, we'll wait before we go too far on that one. A lot can happen in the next three years.
The April AAU tourneys will be coming up soon after the NCAA's, so we might get a chance to see how Joe performs against tough competition soon and will likely be reading more about him in the coming year as word gets out about him.

Here is a 6 minute video clip of Joe's soph season--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu7gbGObuLc

BobZag
03-17-2009, 09:11 AM
Sounds like a slightly taller Brett Kingma. Same class, too. I'll be real curious to track Hanstad this summer during AAU ball. I love scorers like this.

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-17-2009, 09:18 AM
Great stuff!! Again, I love to see that the staff is getting in early.

Is their mascot really the Midgets??

MNZag96
03-17-2009, 09:23 AM
Yes - That is indeed the mascot - having grown up in North Dakota I can attest to that fact.

jim77
03-17-2009, 10:33 AM
Looks like a good one...GO NORTH DAKOTA!

Bulldoggie
03-17-2009, 12:28 PM
Being a grad of Dickinson High I would love to see Joe Hanstead become a Zag. I have followed his career since he was a frosh. Last year he had a brother playing with him who also was a baller. Don't know where he is playing in college.

Dickinson High is indeed called the Midgets. About twenty years ago the school board tried to change the nickname when a group of PCers felt the name was derogatory to small people but the local fans got up at arms and the school board backed down.

gamagin
03-17-2009, 12:33 PM
"as long as he's a Midget, I want to be where I can watch him."

Go TEAM Zags !

BobZag
03-17-2009, 12:33 PM
How potent would Kingma and Hanstad be in the same backcourt? Whoa.

ZagNative
03-17-2009, 01:23 PM
Another excuse to slip in a pic ... and note that Joe was the leading scorer in the state of North Dakota, as a sophomore, going into the state tourney, seen here with his best friends and fellow sophs on the Midgets ...

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Recruits/2011%20Recruits/Hanstad/2009-03-01JoeHanstadstateleadingsco.jpg
"left to right, Nate Moody, Joe Hanstad and Jarl Abrahamson have
played key roles in the Midgets’ march to the Class A state boys
basketball tournament. Hanstad is the state’s leading scorer..."

From the Dickinson Press (http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/articles/index.cfm?id=21099&section=sports) ...

Super Sophomores
Dustin Monke The Dickinson Press
Published Thursday, March 12, 2009

When Jarl Abrahamson makes a no-look pass to a cutting Joe Hanstad while Nate Moody sets a screen, keep in mind the trio have been working on those moves together since the second grade.

“We all get along so well,” Hanstad said. “We’re a really tight group. … We all know what we’re going to do at the right time and that’s definitely been helping us a lot.”

About nine years after their basketball careers began, the Dickinson High sophomores will be in the starting lineup when the Midgets meet Grand Forks Red River in the quarterfinals of the Class A state tournament at 7 p.m. today at the Fargodome.

The Midgets also left little argument as to who helped them reach this point.

Hanstad, a smooth 6-foot-3 forward, is the state’s leading scorer at 27 points per game. He also pulls down seven rebounds and dishes out four assists a night while shooting 57 percent from the field and 87 percent from the free-throw line.

“He’s fun to play with just because he gets you the ball too. That’s a big key,” Abrahamson said. “He knows how to pass and he can score whenever he wants. You know if you give him the ball, it’s got a chance at going in.”

While Hanstad is the leading scorer on the state’s highest-scoring team — the Midgets average 74 points per game — he wouldn’t be enjoying such a successful season without his teammates.

There is likely no one on Dickinson’s team more important in getting Hanstad the rock than Abrahamson, a 5-foot-8 point guard who leads the West Region in assists at 5.3 per game.

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-17-2009, 02:02 PM
Any word on how Joe gets his points? Is he a pure shooter, ala Kingma? Or is he more of a driver/slasher?

BobZag
03-17-2009, 04:04 PM
From what I've gathered, Joe does it all (shoots, drives, assists, boards), much like Kingma. Joe is bigger, taller. I can envision Kingma at PG and Joe at SG.

Re: Kingma. I'm watching Curry play right now and Kingma's shooting form is a mirror image of Curry's. Both guide the ball and follow through with right arm extended toward target: the hoop.

Take notice next time you watch. It just struck me.

I wish someone at Dickinson HS would put up video clips of Hanstad like mrob does for Kingma.

229SintoZag
03-17-2009, 04:05 PM
Man, if I am not mistaken, I had some wicked times there partying during my Gonzaga years.

That place and the homes around Sinto and Lidgerwood were epic party spots.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=2011+N.+Dakota+spokane+wa&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=47.751524,79.101563&ie=UTF8&ll=47.676311,-117.386856&spn=0.039934,0.077248&t=h&z=14&iwloc=addr

This bodes well.

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-17-2009, 04:35 PM
Well, I'm certainly looking forward to reading more about Joe over the summer (and hopefully seeing some video at some point)!

How might Joe Harris's game differ from Kingma and Hanstad? It sounds like they all have similar skill sets.

BobZag
03-17-2009, 05:04 PM
Just a soph. #5.

Looks a lot like Brett Kingma to me.

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-17-2009, 05:18 PM
Just a soph. #5.

Niiice find, BZ - thanks for the link! You inspired me to do a little digging of my own for Hanstad footage, and I came up with a feature that local CBS affiliate did on Joe earlier this season.

http://www.kxnet.com/video.asp?ArticleId=327522&VideoId=25665

BobZag
03-17-2009, 05:52 PM
Just a soph. #5.

Compare with Kingma--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrdK0EAGtDc

mrob7
04-09-2009, 04:25 PM
Compare with Kingma--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrdK0EAGtDc

I think Kingma is alot quicker than this guy

NEZAGFAN
04-09-2009, 06:14 PM
I must admit that I am very impressed with Kingma's ability, although I am not overly impressed with Hanstad. The competition level that Hanstad was facing in North Dakota doesn't appear to be anywhere near what you would see in most other states. I do understand that he is only a sophomore and has a lot of time to grow but I will have to wait and see how he does in AAU ball this summer before making any further evaluation.

spudzag
04-09-2009, 07:28 PM
I would love to see a couple solid Washington recruits like Bright and Kingma both both commit.

mrob7
04-09-2009, 09:58 PM
I must admit that I am very impressed with Kingma's ability, although I am not overly impressed with Hanstad. The competition level that Hanstad was facing in North Dakota doesn't appear to be anywhere near what you would see in most other states. I do understand that he is only a sophomore and has a lot of time to grow but I will have to wait and see how he does in AAU ball this summer before making any further evaluation.

I agree. Yes of course I'm biased because I go to school and am friends with Brett, but honestly, I wasn't that impressed with hanstad from what I saw

Big12
04-11-2009, 09:27 AM
After watching both of those videos, how could you say Kingma is better? The only way would be the bias that you guys mention. Couldn't be a discerning basketball eye.
Oh well, looks like some Big 12 schools are after Hanstad now, so you may not have to worry about getting both of these guys.

BobZag
04-11-2009, 09:50 AM
After watching both of those videos, how could you say Kingma is better? The only way would be the bias that you guys mention. Couldn't be a discerning basketball eye.
Oh well, looks like some Big 12 schools are after Hanstad now, so you may not have to worry about getting both of these guys.

Zag fans would be thrilled to have Joe. I have always loved scorers who can do everything. I know the Zags staff really likes Joe, and that's the bottom line. He's a darn good one.

DixieZag
04-11-2009, 10:07 AM
I am not as knowledgeable as most on this board, so it is hard for me to make a distinction between the players. What I liked about the kid from ND was that he has obviously benefited from being well coached and that usually means that he is a good "coachable" player, b/c what I saw were some fundamentals that would make some D1 "Athletes" drool, bounce passes, drop steps, follow through on shot, following his own shot, box out, -- maybe he has the ability maybe not, but if all is even I would take the one that looks like the "coach's kid" than one that is raw. Plus he already shoots 87% from the line!

skan72
04-11-2009, 10:23 AM
I would agree that Hanstad is better, but I wouldn't say it's by a mile or that the it isn't a debatable point.

Kingma has more range and a bit better court vision.

Hanstad is quicker, more athletic, and appears to have the potential to develop into a superior player.

Both of their strokes are very nice looking, I actually really like the release and form of Hanstad's, and how he gets his feet set under him.

Obviously it is off highlight videos so it is very difficult to evaluate their games...I mean I'm sure I could make myself look like a good player if I made a highlight video too haha :p

But seriously, they're both young and very talented, I wouldn't mind either of them.

Big12
04-11-2009, 10:55 AM
I also wouldn't say he is way better, or even a point that is necessary to debate. But to come on here and say they are "not very impressed" by Hanstad based on these videos, is just plain laughable. Most posts I read on this forum show some knowledgable basketball fans. When evaluating potential recruits, bias is not beneficial.

BobZag
04-11-2009, 11:01 AM
After watching both video clips, it's clear to me that Kingma is more a shooter while Hanstad is more a scorer.

cggonzaga
04-11-2009, 11:28 AM
It's like watching Dan Dickau (Kingma) and Matt Bouldin (Hanstad) in high school. It would be great to get either one if not both. Don't forget people, both of these guys will only be juniors next year. Seems like Hanstad's athletic ceiling is much higher.

cjm720
04-12-2009, 02:31 AM
I am not as knowledgeable as most on this board, so it is hard for me to make a distinction between the players. What I liked about the kid from ND was that he has obviously benefited from being well coached and that usually means that he is a good "coachable" player, b/c what I saw were some fundamentals that would make some D1 "Athletes" drool, bounce passes, drop steps, follow through on shot, following his own shot, box out, -- maybe he has the ability maybe not, but if all is even I would take the one that looks like the "coach's kid" than one that is raw. Plus he already shoots 87% from the line!

Agree 100%. But holy crap Kingma can shoot!

duper
04-12-2009, 08:37 AM
Its hard to tell watching highlight videos but Kingma seems more impressive IMO. Joe I think might have problems scoring on bigger more athletic players. Kingma appears to have to make some adjustments on his shot. I know it goes in but it comes from the face and goes out not up. This could also give him problems against guys who can stay with him quickness wise. That is an easy fix and is not uncommon problem with freshmen who have always been way better than the competition. I also see a little Dickau in him and that is a big compliment.

ZagNative
04-12-2009, 09:50 AM
Another day on guboards with some friendly disagreements when comparing prospects ...

http://www.clker.com/cliparts/f/7/b/3/12065787001868762095johnny_automatic_dogs_fight_ov er_bone.svg.med.png

Kingma and Hanstad are both super players and seem to be super kids as well. I can't believe how much some people seem to read into a couple of snippets of video.

BobZag
04-12-2009, 09:55 AM
Can't go wrong with either, imo.

mrob7
04-12-2009, 10:46 AM
If Kingma is playing any summer games around here this year i'll try to get some video