PDA

View Full Version : A simple plea

FuManShoes
03-17-2009, 09:53 AM
OK, we get it. There are many here who prefer the Zags and fans not look ahead to any game save the first round matchup against Akron. Understandable, probably wise.

And there are those who believe fans and bracket-filler-outers have a right and responsibility to look ahead as far as they want and there's no harm in speculating and gameplanning and fantasizing. And they are correct.

So there it is. Two school of thought. Each with merit and each completely irrelevent to what the TEAM will do. So can we please stop harping on this philosophical debate (and yes, I am guilty by way of this very post) and just enjoy this week in the way we best see fit instead of bludgeoning each other? Please?

Now here's how I see us matching up against 'Cuse after we take out UNC ... :)

P.S. I know BobZag will reply with "Beat Akron." To that I say, "+ 1"

BobZag
03-17-2009, 10:03 AM
:D

I hear you loud and clear, Fu. I really do. The last two years have have made me a one-game-at-a-time guy when it comes to this, especially the first game. Thats all.

ZagManFan
03-17-2009, 10:05 AM
We understand BZ, but I am an all or nothing type of guy. :D

Psychozag
03-17-2009, 10:07 AM
This is the funnest time to speculate and look at match-ups and dream about being in the final four. After we lose, then all the talk will be about GU's ceiling and how we need to fire Few and which player should be run out of town. I don't have to play the game on Thursday, so it doesn't matter one bit where my mind is focused. I am certain Few won't be pointing at me to check in at the scorer's table because (unfortunately) I won't even be in Portland. I think a bit of this psychological construct is from our past two years' early exits. We as fans of this team are afraid to dream. But at the beginning of the year I was dreaming of a final four (as I have for many years), and I have continued dreaming as we have met every necessary goal. And now that we are starting the tournament, I will continue to dream until I can't anymore. Then I will move on and start thinking about next year. Isn't this the way it goes for all NCAA teams save for one each year?

HillBillyZag
03-17-2009, 10:22 AM
Its a generational thing, BZ. Many younger folk dream of starting at the top of the ladder, us old fossils worry about one step at a time. Anyhow we all luv our Zags, lets enjoy it while we can.

gamagin
03-17-2009, 10:59 AM
As a second semester sophomore at GU (for the 84th semester), I'm torn re: the generational thing. I like them both.

Go TEAM Zags !

johnwzag
03-17-2009, 12:29 PM
I am happy either way. As long as....when it is over....we don't have to hear fire Few, players sucked, ect.

I will repeat --- Last year we lost by 6 points to a team (in their backyard) that lost to the national champions by 2 points in the E8. We were up 5 at the half, SC was on fire, but so was SG. Josh was out injured most of the year, Kuso was our big man most of the year.

The year before it was all about scandal right before the tourney started.

The year before that. Well - Damn! We were slapped/punched/ect with no foul calls -- Thus began UCLAs slap/punch/ type basketball run for a number of years. Texas A&M paid the price one year. Was that last year or the year before? Other teams also paid the price.

2008 7 64 Davidson/10
2007 10 64 Indiana/7
2006 3 16 Xavier/14 Indiana/6 UCLA/2
2005 3 32 Winthrop/14 Texas Tech/6
2004 2 32 Valparaiso/15 Nevada/10
2003 9 32 Cincinnati/8 Arizona/1
2002 6 64 Wyoming/11
2001 12 16 Virginia/5 Indiana St/13 Michigan St/1
2000 10 16 Louisville/7 St John's/2 Purdue/6
1999 10 8 Minnesota/7 Stanford/2 Florida/6 Connecticut

Every team in the country has it's bad years. I look forward to this year with a lot of hope.

Go ZAGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pleasant Peninsula
03-17-2009, 12:35 PM
Beat Louisville.

webspinnre
03-17-2009, 04:39 PM
I used to spend time looking ahead, but the last few years have been so rough that I've slowed down.

Pleasant Peninsula
03-17-2009, 05:07 PM
Not me. I'm a glutton for punishment, I guess. I'm simultaneously looking towards the Akron game while fantasizing about what might come down the road. I'm counting on the team and coaches taking care of the "one game at a time" thing for me.

The year before that. Well - Damn! We were slapped/punched/ect with no foul calls -- Thus began UCLAs slap/punch/ type basketball run for a number of years.

I hate to poke at unhealed wounds, but that loss is on the GU players, not the refs. Like I said before, I'm a glutton for punishment and I've watched that game dozens of times and the final minutes probably 50 times since it happened. There was simply no excuses for the final two turnovers. Batista wasn't strong with the ball and Raivio barreling up the court like a bat-out-of-hell was nothing short of a braindead panic play. I know a lot of Zags fans won't watch that game for obvious reasons. For some reason, I enjoy watching, despite the fact that it still feels like a Mike Tyson jab to the stomach. It's certainly one of the "greatest" moments in NCAA history.

75Zag
03-17-2009, 05:39 PM
Right now Thursday is my only goal.

Nothing wrong with having a dream about future glory so long as you don't confuse dreaming with reality or realistic expectations. I dream of a national championship. I dream of telling my next door neighbor where he can shove his Kansas championship flag that he flies every time Kansas plays. Perhaps next year I will be flying a Gonzaga national championship flag on my front porch as I sip a shaken vodka martini as Jessica Alba quietly but lustfully nuzzles my earlobe. O the dreams.

But before I divorce Mrs. '75 and go tear down my next door neighbor's Kansas flag, how about GU wins just ONE ^%$ )(%% game in the NCAAs? Then maybe another game after that? And then maybe another one?

Go Bulldogs! Pull Down the Zip(per)s!

NotoriousZ
03-17-2009, 06:14 PM
"Now here's how I see us matching up against 'Cuse after we take out UNC..."

I got us playing Arizona St. after the UNC game...:D ...o.k. I guess we're talking Zips here. Tub o' fries w/tarter anyone? Zips-Zags, Zags-Zips, I Zipped when I should have Zagged. I'm sorry the suspense is killing me--I really don't know how the players deal with the anticipation for the game day to come. About 46 hours until the game now.......:explode:

johnwzag
03-17-2009, 06:31 PM
I hate to poke at unhealed wounds, but that loss is on the GU players, not the refs.

We did make some pretty dumb mistakes. Ravio should have been at the point rather than JP. That was it right there. Still, I hate the way UCLA was allowed to play and they were allowed to play that way for years. When they screwed A&M, that was really it for me.

That game kinda sucked for me. I was on a boat in seattle having dinner and from 5-2 minute mark, we lost the satellite feed.

johnwzag
03-17-2009, 06:33 PM
"Now here's how I see us matching up against 'Cuse after we take out UNC..."

I got us playing Arizona St. after the UNC game...:D ...o.k. I guess we're talking Zips here. Tub o' fries w/tarter anyone? Zips-Zags, Zags-Zips, I Zipped when I should have Zagged. I'm sorry the suspense is killing me--I really don't know how the players deal with the anticipation for the game day to come. About 46 hours until the game now.......:explode:

My 16 year old son just throws up. I hope he does not end up having problems because of that.

McZag
03-17-2009, 07:35 PM
We understand BZ, but I am an all or nothing type of guy. :D

Well then I am sure you have been perfectly satisfied with the nothing you have received two years in a row. I for one would much rather have 1 than nothing but that's just me.