PDA

View Full Version : Pause. Reflect. Rejoice!

El Voce
03-17-2009, 08:41 AM
OK, gang, we are about 48 hours from tipoff, and I know all of ZagNation is getting pretty excited about the possibility of sweeping two games in Portland.

Before we all get totally caught up in all the hoopla and excitement of the games, I suggest we take a moment to Pause, Reflect, and Rejoice on the remarkable run Gonzaga basketball has had these last 11 years.

Here in Spokane, we seemingly have taken it for granted that our Zags will Dance each March. Indeed, many in ZagNation actually seem to get angry at team if they have the temerity to lose in the early rounds. Like, what is wrong with this team??!!??

Getting to the Dance, year after year, is really, really hard. Especially when you consider that the Zags lose key seniors every year and have to restock constantly. If it were an easy thing to do, other teams would be doing it. The Zags are aboout fifth or so in consecutive appearances. Ahead of almost all BCS schools. Ahead of literally hundreds of mid-majors.

Every mid-major in America wants to be the "next Gonzaga." A few, like George Mason, have seen their flame burn hot for a year or two. Yet no one has matched the consistent quality of our Gonzaga program.

it is truly an amazing thing that we have here in Spokane. We should never, ever take it for granted. This run is a credit to Mark Few. It is a credit to Mark Few's coaching staff. It is a credit to all the wonderful players that Mark Few and his coaching staff have brought to Gonzaga. Thank you all for a great job well done.

So.. take a moment. Pause. Reflect. Rejoice! It is the best of times to be a Zag.

Once and Future Zag
03-17-2009, 08:55 AM
Zags! What is best in life?

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their cheerleaders.

--

Life is good as a Zag, and it's surely something special.

gamagin
03-17-2009, 10:04 AM
well said.

Go TEAM Zags !

Fonebone
03-17-2009, 11:20 AM
I don't feel like I have a great handle on this, but it seems to me that it is not uncommon for teams like Florida to win a national title, and then, fall off the map a year or two later. I think that there are very few teams like Duke, Carolina that are top teams year after year. Yet, the Zags are in the top 25, or even the top 10, year after year.

If anyone has easy access to the stats, it would be really interesting to see how we rank as far as top 10 and to 25 rankings as of the end of the regular season for the last 10 years. Here we are again this year, ranked # 10 in both poles. I think that we have been there a number of times, and in the top 25 almost every year. I bet that only a handfull of teams have a better record than we do using that measurment.

Although success in the tourney is considered the holy grail of success, in a way, end of season rankings are as good or a better indicator - because it measures the success of teams over the entire season as evaluated by the pollsteres, who, while not perfect, are overall a very knowlegable group. On the other hand, have one off game and you are out of the Tournenment.

johnwzag
03-17-2009, 11:35 AM
OK, gang, we are about 48 hours from tipoff, and I know all of ZagNation is getting pretty excited about the possibility of sweeping two games in Portland.

Before we all get totally caught up in all the hoopla and excitement of the games, I suggest we take a moment to Pause, Reflect, and Rejoice on the remarkable run Gonzaga basketball has had these last 11 years.

Here in Spokane, we seemingly have taken it for granted that our Zags will Dance each March. Indeed, many in ZagNation actually seem to get angry at team if they have the temerity to lose in the early rounds. Like, what is wrong with this team??!!??

Getting to the Dance, year after year, is really, really hard. Especially when you consider that the Zags lose key seniors every year and have to restock constantly. If it were an easy thing to do, other teams would be doing it. The Zags are aboout fifth or so in consecutive appearances. Ahead of almost all BCS schools. Ahead of literally hundreds of mid-majors.

Every mid-major in America wants to be the "next Gonzaga." A few, like George Mason, have seen their flame burn hot for a year or two. Yet no one has matched the consistent quality of our Gonzaga program.

it is truly an amazing thing that we have here in Spokane. We should never, ever take it for granted. This run is a credit to Mark Few. It is a credit to Mark Few's coaching staff. It is a credit to all the wonderful players that Mark Few and his coaching staff have brought to Gonzaga. Thank you all for a great job well done.

So.. take a moment. Pause. Reflect. Rejoice! It is the best of times to be a Zag.

The voice of reason indeed! Well said.

HRZag
03-17-2009, 12:36 PM
Great post old friend, but if I may point out that Fr. Spitzer has had a hand in all this too. Trust in his choices, let them run with it, but give a gentle hand and counsel when needed.

This season, to me, is one of redemption, a very Catholic topic. Greatness, losses, reflection and back to greatness. Jeremy, Josh. Micah. Thank you guys for so many lessons.

Now play for joy, play for greatness, play for redemption.