PDA

View Full Version : Any new news about the Portsmouth Invitational?

soonerterp
03-24-2007, 01:12 PM
I've seen the same old speculative notice at draftexpress.com I think last month that has the "suggested" rosters (based on last year's), the same article that mentions that Raivio and UNC's Reyshawn Terry had already supposedly committed to attending.

mdZag23
03-24-2007, 06:56 PM
I predict that DRav does well in this format! He will be looking to showcase his shooting and his ability in a wide open game where they aren't concentrating on shutting him down!

soonerterp
03-24-2007, 08:52 PM
Well yeah ...

But when will the rosters come out and stuff?

mdZag23
03-25-2007, 07:41 AM
Usually doesn't happen until right after next weekend.

Thomas_Sutpen
03-25-2007, 07:56 AM
I predict that DRav does well in this format! He will be looking to showcase his shooting and his ability in a wide open game where they aren't concentrating on shutting him down!

It's also "get your own shot" camp--not sure that's DRav's forte.

Good luck to him! I hope he does well.

--------

youreachiteach
03-25-2007, 06:18 PM
Good luck to DRav.

DrDrivel
03-25-2007, 08:26 PM
Additionally, has the field for the NCAA three-point and dunk contests been set? I know it happens next week. Derek could follow in Richie Frahm's footsteps and take down the title.

P.S. Derek's not getting drafted.

soonerterp
03-26-2007, 11:54 AM
Additionally, has the field for the NCAA three-point and dunk contests been set? I know it happens next week. Derek could follow in Richie Frahm's footsteps and take down the title.

I've been looking for that info myself. Curious to know who all's going to be in that.

I personally think it would be fun to see a sort of free-throw-shooting cage fight between Raivio and Blake Ahearn ... but alas there is no such event ...

P.S. Derek's not getting drafted.

I know that. Sucks for him, or maybe not. Drew Nicholas, he of thrilling buzzerbeaters, didn't get drafted out of Maryland in 2003, but he's made himself a very nice career in Italy (he was with Benneton Treviso last season). Hollis Price, a runner-up for the 2003 Wooden Award that TJ Ford walked away with, didn't get drafted out of Oklahoma the same season, and he's made an OK career in Europe bouncing between France and Germany. Going to Europe to play pro ball is NOT the end of the world.

The NBA is the pinnacle of professional basketball in the US, and yet I'm really down on the NBA lately. Granted, I have my "pet teams" and certainly "pet players" but the NBA is really a joke and a dog 'n' pony show. The more I think about it, Raivio is probably better off in Europe where, frankly, things don't seem quite so predicated on who is the most marketable, has the most hype and star power.

I stand by my belief, however, that Raivio deserves a shot in summer league or as a training camp invitee.

TrueLiz
03-26-2007, 08:01 PM
I agree on all points about Raivio. I hope I can catch him a summer league game somewhere (Vegas seems to be the best action spot). I saw Violette play two years ago at the Target Center when Minnesota had an 8-team league & he was on the Houston team. I just have one main problem with Europe - I can't see the games! : )

I picked up NBA League Pass this year to watch Morrison, but I got bored with the NBA after about a month. I can only watch the Timberwolves games since they are my team, and I don't even watch those in full. They are certainly fantastic athletes, but it doesn't seem they play as a team.

But I digress...I certainly hope Raivio will end up playing professional somewhere later this year.

DrDrivel
03-26-2007, 10:28 PM
I picked up NBA League Pass this year to watch Morrison, but I got bored with the NBA after about a month. I can only watch the Timberwolves games since they are my team, and I don't even watch those in full. They are certainly fantastic athletes, but it doesn't seem they play as a team.

That's because you're watching the Timberwolves and Bobcats. It's an entirely different matter when you're watching the Spurs, the Mavs, the Suns, the Pistons, etc...

My suggestion - get involved (I mean really involved) in a fantasy basketball league. It will radically change your perception of the NBA. I don't have League Pass, but I do have NBA TV, so there's at least one NBA game on every single night (except that I work evenings, but that's neither here nor there) and I watch it if I can. Even if it's a Denver/Detroit matchup like tonight - the last few moments of which turned out to be well worth the middling period where the teams traded huge leads.

soonerterp
03-27-2007, 03:02 AM
I agree on all points about Raivio. I hope I can catch him a summer league game somewhere (Vegas seems to be the best action spot). I saw Violette play two years ago at the Target Center when Minnesota had an 8-team league & he was on the Houston team. I just have one main problem with Europe - I can't see the games! : )

But I digress...I certainly hope Raivio will end up playing professional somewhere later this year.

TLiz -- I'm dumping my NBA League Pass, that is to say, not renewing it next season, can't justify the expense, but by all means get NBATV if your cable provider provides it. NBATV has a program, Basketball Internationale, devoted to the Euroleagues AND, although somewhat irregularly, they do air Euroleague games.

And between ESPN, TNT, and ABC on Sunday afternoons (at least starting midway thru the season) -- you can see a lot more teams other than the Timberwolves ... and granted, the T-Wolves have been down in recent years and have a superduperstar who could probably use a change of scenery, needless to say.

ZagMania
03-27-2007, 07:11 AM
I recently found a great way to watch Bobcat games, since they are never on television and there is no way I'm paying for NBA League Pass. Go to http://dewsaw.com , and go down to where it has the schedule for that days NBA games. Once the game begins, that game will have a link and all you have to do is simply click it and the game will stream directly on your computer.

You don't have to install anything for the NBA games to work as far as I know. I did it for two recent Bobcat games just to see Ammo play and the site worked great. However, I'm not really sure about the legality of it and the website owner has stated that if it doesn't pick up in traffic he will have to shut it down. Also, for the last couple of days there was a problem with some of the NBA links, but that has supposedly been fixed. If your a die hard fan that needs to see his games I wouldn't reccommend relying on this, but if your a casual fan that just wants to see Ammo play when your bored its great.. and free.

ZagMania
03-27-2007, 07:14 AM
Oh, also my hope is that DewSaw gets big so that next season they will be broadcasting GU games and I will no longer be stuck listening to Zag games over the radio. Anyways, check the site out.. I'm pretty sure they'll have MLB games on once the season starts as well.

TrueLiz
03-27-2007, 06:40 PM
My suggestion - get involved (I mean really involved) in a fantasy basketball league. It will radically change your perception of the NBA. I don't have League Pass, but I do have NBA TV, so there's at least one NBA game on every single night (except that I work evenings, but that's neither here nor there) and I watch it if I can. Even if it's a Denver/Detroit matchup like tonight - the last few moments of which turned out to be well worth the middling period where the teams traded huge leads.

I have done fantasy basketball many, many times (even won my league once, going way back to Allen Iverson's rookie year when our playoffs lined up with his quest for Rookie of the Year), but I realized I was forcing myself to watch the NBA just because of the fantasy team. I do enjoy watching the last few minutes of a good game, but just not the whole thing. I'd rather watch Middle Tennessee St vs. Cal-Poly (not that they ever play, but just a random example) than the average NBA game, but that's just my personal bias. I know there are definitely a lot of opinions in the College ball vs. NBA debate. : ) I promise to watch the playoffs though, since they seem to play much more like a team that time of year.

I do get NBA TV in the DirecTV sports pack though, so I should check for the Europe Leagues games more often. Winter is also hockey time here though, and there are always many options from the Wild, to the 6 local D1 hockey teams (including North Dakota, 3 miles across the MN border) and even multiple televised high school hockey games a week.

WinthropEagleFan
03-30-2007, 01:52 PM
The Portsmouth rosters were recently released, and Raivio will be teammates with Winthrop's Torrell Martin on the Norfolk Naval Shipyard team...here's the roster:

http://www.portsmouthinvitational.com/rosters.html

C - Ian Vouyoukas St. Louis 610 270
F - Rashaun Freeman Massachusetts 69 255
F - Carl Landry Purdue 67 252
F - Lester Abram Michigan 66 200
G - Torrell Martin Winthrop 65 200
G - Ron Lewis Ohio State 64 200
G - Derek Raivio Gonzaga 63 177
G - Jamar Wilson Albany 61 185