PDA

View Full Version : Alford -- key reason he left Iowa -- Internet

Bing
03-24-2007, 12:16 PM
I just heard Steve Alford on ESPN radio talking about how the internet has disrupted coaches in a variety of areas.

He said he couldn't count how many times he had to re-recruit a prospect after the prospect read something on an Internet message board, or in a blog. Everyone has an opinion, and through the Internet everyone has a forum to express their opinion.

The night before last (late), I flagged a post where this Gonzaga "fan" was inviting discussion on why Gonzaga University should disassociate the University and the program from a young man who has committed to GU. The reason -- the young man's Junior year in high school didn't impress this poster, this "fan".

Fortunately, when I woke up the next morning this offensive post/thread had disappeared.

I want to thank BobZag and his team for their diligence in running this board. There is discussion -- but when something is clearly harmful it has a way of disappearing.

Although our program has hit the bigtime, we are still Gonzaga. We are still that small school in Spokane, Washington that does a number of things very well, including the basketball program.

It is obvious that Mark Few likes it here. Few has also commented on the internet and the harm that it does. I still trust him on who he thinks he should recruit.

ZagAddict
03-24-2007, 12:23 PM
I agree that the internet has become a dangerous tool and CAN affect recruiting and the image of a program. The GU board on scout is a dangerous place filled with sooooo much negativity. I hope people don't think opinions on that site are representative of all GU supporters.

ZagDaddy
03-24-2007, 01:07 PM
Smart move on Alford's part. Apparently there's no internet in New Mexico. :p

madzag
03-24-2007, 01:55 PM
Smart move on Alford's part. Apparently there's no internet in New Mexico. :p

Nope, we prefer to use a telepathic posting system developed at Sandia & Los Alamos Nat'l Labs. Internet's so 20th century... :)

Bocco
03-24-2007, 03:12 PM
I just heard Steve Alford on ESPN radio talking about how the internet has disrupted coaches in a variety of areas.

The night before last (late), I flagged a post where this Gonzaga "fan" was inviting discussion on why Gonzaga University should disassociate the University and the program from a young man who has committed to GU. The reason -- the young man's Junior year in high school didn't impress this poster, this "fan".

Fortunately, when I woke up the next morning this offensive post/thread had disappeared.

I want to thank BobZag and his team for their diligence in running this board. There is discussion -- but when something is clearly harmful it has a way of disappearing.

It is obvious that Mark Few likes it here. Few has also commented on the internet and the harm that it does. I still trust him on who he thinks he should recruit.

I accidentally went to the old board last night. Anyway since I was there I thought I would take a peek and see what was being said. The first post I opened was the last.

Unfortunately the poster you mentioned did not give up. After having his post deleted for obvious reasons from this site - by his count three times, phoning a mod to complain about his post being deleted, and I am sure having the mod explain to him why his post was deleted, he went to the flame central and posted again.

I also want to thank BobZag and the other mods who try to make sure postings on this board maintain a modicum of civility. It is one of the reasons that I choose to come here and not the other board.

BTW - it is now deleted from my list of favorites.

TR11Zag
03-24-2007, 03:20 PM
No thanks.

L-A-M-E. Might as well use the ESPN board

VanZagar
03-26-2007, 04:07 PM
Comments about a young recruit were very inappropriate. On the other hand; some Skepticism can be a healthy thing. We can't all pretend we abide in a world where "seldom is heard a discouraging word and the skies are not cloudy all day".

brasszag
03-26-2007, 04:15 PM
It's sad over there...

How small-spirited do you have to be to defend your wishes to denigrate 17 year old kids in a public forum. Critical discourse does not require non-productive (we're all small people on the internet) criticism.

I know I'm not the nicest of posters sometimes - but at least I save it for other board members and not the players or coaches. ;)

sonicfan84
03-26-2007, 04:43 PM
Until a poster walks in the shoes of a recruit or a parent or a player, I think that they do need to take that into account when posting. I don't think people should not give an opinion, but please understand you are not just speaking to yourself when you post.

Ever since my brother turned me on to these boards, I can say that BobZag and the other moderators have always done a stand up job that represents Gonzaga and college basketball well and is what the internet should like.

bigblahla
03-26-2007, 06:04 PM
I read the aforementioned post on that "other board" and found nothing objectionable with it.

Yes the subject matter was delicate and the player in question or a family member may not have appreciated it but I believe the point being made by the poster was valid and not meant as a personal attack towards the player or his family.

Objections were made to the post there as well and the poster replied that it was not an attack on the individual as much as a question raised as to the current physical status of the individual and what projected contribution might be expected from him upon arriving at GU.

I understand why the post was deleted here. There is a difference between verbal abuse and a healthy heated exchange of ideas even if the parties involved are in disagreement. There is a difference between common sense and censorship I believe BZ used common sense in adhereing to the principles of this forum but that does not mean that the poster did not have a right to his opinion or that it didn't merit discussion, just not here.

For that reason I also appreciate that "other board" and will continue to visit both forums to communicate with Zag fans from all walks with varied points of view and a common love of our team.

Go!! Zags!!!

brasszag
03-26-2007, 07:39 PM
Yes the subject matter was delicate and the player in question or a family member may not have appreciated it but I believe the point being made by the poster was valid and not meant as a personal attack towards the player or his family.

Suggesting that GU renege on it's agreement because of an illness that the player has recovered from - that's pretty personal regardless of how it's meant.

I cannot express how utterly disappointed I'd be if that took place. That's just harsh to do to a kid.

If the player could no longer play, I'd say that's a different game - and GU, I'm sure, could find some regular schollie money so he could attend as a student (grades willing). The kid in question is getting better, he'll put on some muscle - and the skills he's got and building on will be an asset to GU.

Honestly, even if he's a workmanlike role-player like Sean Mallon has been, so be it - if he finds happiness transferring and playing elsewhere, so be it - if he rides the bench for 4 years, so be it - if he washes out after a year; so be it. He's been offered a year - we owe him a year.

But breaking that promise for no other reason than "we can do better than you now" is a place I hope GU never goes - that would truly signal "selling our soul" and betraying the Jesuit principles that the university espouses.

Bocco
03-26-2007, 09:54 PM
But breaking that promise for no other reason than "we can do better than you now" is a place I hope GU never goes - that would truly signal "selling our soul" and betraying the Jesuit principles that the university espouses.

Brasszag I couldn't agree more.

VanZagar
03-27-2007, 02:06 PM
If the discussion had continued the inappropriate posting would have been overwhelmed by contrary opinions from all over the board.