PDA

View Full Version : AP Article: Gonzaga Hopes to Avoid One and Done

caduceus
03-16-2009, 02:52 PM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hVjxvEUzry5O256dFo8wX6NMB62AD96VC1780

SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) — A high seed. An unheralded opponent. A nearby venue likely packed with Gonzaga fans. These have been ingredients for past NCAA disappointments for Gonzaga.

As the Zags prepare to play the Akron Zips on Thursday in Portland, Ore. — in a showdown of high-value Scrabble letters — their goal will be to avoid a third consecutive first-round exit from the tournament.

"I'm hoping it changes this year," junior guard Matt Bouldin said. "It wasn't very fun the last two."

Gonzaga's ticket allotment to the Portland round sold out immediately, although a large contingent of fans are likely to make the 350-mile trip to try and buy tickets there.

A few good GU player quotes in here.

Edited to add this bit of trivia:

In Akron, the Zags face a defensive-minded team whose unusual nickname refers to zipper shoes invented by Akron's B.F. Goodrich rubber company in the 1920s. Akron's mascot is Zippy the kangaroo.

=caduceus=

bartruff1
03-16-2009, 03:03 PM
Won last year....

UberZagFan
03-16-2009, 03:19 PM
Two 13 seeds
Won last year....

Fine. Let that be Miss St and Portland St. this year...

DoMieD
03-16-2009, 03:27 PM
Portland St. will win, and Miss St. winning would be an added bonus :)

bartruff1
03-16-2009, 04:18 PM
Portland St. will win, and Miss St. winning would be an added bonus :) ....I sure hope you are right....I suspect the team is feeling some pressure...

75Zag
03-16-2009, 04:44 PM
I saw this AP article on the New York Times web site earlier today. It is the most subjective, negative, worthless piece of crap journalism I have seen since my constantly stoned classmates used to make up fake articles for the Gonzaga Bulletin.

GU lost the last two NCAA games, but who cares. This is a new team, a new outlook and a new year. GU will win the first game and then the "curse" will be broken.

East coast newspaper hacks can %$ &^# *@#^ed.

Go Bulldogs! Pull Down the Zip(per)s!

mtzaga
03-16-2009, 06:05 PM
North Dakota State over Kansas. This will be like a home game for the Bison, just like the one Davidson got last year. Fargo is only 236 miles from Minneapolis and NDSU fans travel very well. A long shot, but why not.

johnwzag
03-16-2009, 06:30 PM
GU lost the last two NCAA games, but who cares. This is a new team, a new outlook and a new year. GU will win the first game and then the "curse" will be broken.

East coast newspaper hacks can %$ &^# *@#^ed.

Go Bulldogs! Pull Down the Zip(per)s!

Last year -- Davidson (Cinderella) Lost by two point (Elite 8 59-57) to the national champions. We led at half time by 5 and lost by 6 in the end.

Previous year. We lost Heyfelt and Davis 2 weeks before the tourney? I remember John calipari saying "Are you telling me that is not a top 25 team?" after our last game with them before the tourney.

IT IS NOT LIKE WE BLEW IT! IT HAPPENS!

If Akron/WKU/Illinios happen to be a cinderella, it can happen again. I really doubt that and I also think we stack up very well to UNC.

To infinity and beyond! :D

montanazag88
03-16-2009, 08:11 PM
North Dakota State over Kansas. This will be like a home game for the Bison, just like the one Davidson got last year. Fargo is only 236 miles from Minneapolis and NDSU fans travel very well. A long shot, but why not.

If the Bison can slow KU's guard play, they have a shot....long shot, but a shot. NDSU has crazy fans in and around Minneapolis and at home they are scary good with one of the best shooters in college. Let's hope they stay in it early.