PDA

View Full Version : Akron coach on defending Zags

SpudDawg
03-16-2009, 11:30 AM
Keith Dambrot on "ESPNU Coaches Spotlight" with Andy Katz:

"They have very, very good fluidity on offense ... We have to play like a Big 10/Midwest team against them. We can't let them play like a West Coast team ..."

Baldwinzag
03-16-2009, 11:45 AM
On ESPNU.

Was able to catch the latter half of Katz's brief interview with Akron's head coach, Keith Dambert(sp?). When I flipped on the tube they were jokingly discussing Lebron James relationship with the program. From the sound of it, King James routinely shows up at home games and even practices on occasion to watch the team. I thought that was a fun factoid.

Then they got down to business...Katz stated that Akron is going up against, "the hottest team in the country and one that is clicking on all cylinders" and proceeded to ask if Akron had an opportunity to scout the Zags. Akrons coach responded with, "we're beginning to gather all information and I can tell you right off the bat this team is capable of winning the National Championship." He continued, "they have one of the most fluid offenses in the country and we cannot allow them to play their style or west coast basketball on us. We have to muddy this one up and will not let them do what they want." The Akron coach said they matched up fairly well at every position except for SF, which he said will be a nightmare with their height, skill, and length at that particular position. Coach Keith also responded, "We have to play mid-west basketball and not be afraid to give a punch in the mouth and dig deep to defend this team. It'll be a tough task but we're up for the challenge, etc" Shortly after, they ended the interview with congrats and good luck to all.

I found it interesting their Coach continually referenced dirtying the game up and slowing down the pace to stop our offense from clicking. Also, he mentioned they won't be afraid to punch us in the mouth considering our "finesse game" and "fluid offense" needs to be stopped. Did anyone else hear him say this? I was kinda taken back. I found this comment intriguing because Akron is notorious for hard fouls and scrappy play. As a matter of fact, they LEAD the entire nation in fouls per game at 20.2. I'm not surprised after listening to their Coach who isn't afraid to say their going to play overly aggressive to counter our style.

Zags better be ready...

Baldwinzag
03-16-2009, 11:52 AM
Looks like Spuddawg and myself caught the same interview, feel free to merge threads...thanks!

Speaking of which, spuddawg, did you find it interesting in how their Coach openly said he will play aggressive against us and not be afraid to punch us in the mouth, etc?

I just hope the Zags were listening for what they're in for...

cjm720
03-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the report.

My take away: Play Tough and practice free throws!

GO ZAGS!!

johnwzag
03-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Dang. We will be spending a lot of time at the free throw line then. I would rather just play the game.

SpudDawg
03-16-2009, 11:56 AM
I posted something on this, too. Didn't come away at all with the impression that he talked aggressively about how the Zips were going to "dirty it up." He did say they need to play "Big 10/Midwest" basketball to disrupt the Zags' offense.

I just rewatched it. Dambrot did say they will have to try to make the Zags play "like a slugfest, ugly game, which will be difficult."

He then added, "The only position where we are as big as them is the small forward position, which becomes difficult."

Dambrot seemed very respectful of Gonzaga. He began the interview by saying he thought Zags are capable of winning it all. Of course, you probably would expect an opposing coach to say that. But he didn't come off as a jerk.

kitzbuel
03-16-2009, 12:15 PM
I think it could be a very tough, ugly game; at least early on. The Zips will probably try to do just about anything to keep the Zags from getting a double digit lead. If that happens and the Zips have to try making up a lead and get a little run going, they risk having the Zags turn it into a track meet, at least for the Zags.

former1dog
03-16-2009, 12:18 PM
I am absolutely convinced (having only read the synopsis within this thread) that the Akron coach has dissed the Zags and disrespects the team immensely. I also heard through my third cousin on my wife's side who lives in Kentucky, which happens to border Ohio, that they are spreading rumors about how we eat puppies.

This should give us all a big chip on our shoulder and make us want to destroy the ZIPS!!!

:D

Baldwinzag
03-16-2009, 12:20 PM
Dambrot seemed very respectful of Gonzaga. He began the interview by saying he thought Zags are capable of winning it all. Of course, you probably would expect an opposing coach to say that. But he didn't come off as a jerk.

Maybe the phrase, "taken back" was a poor choice of words. I meant that was impressed by the comment as most Coaches won't come out and state how they plan to play an opponent so openly.

I never had the impression he came off as a jerk. Actually, the opposite is true as I came away quite impressed. I admired how forthright and self-assured he was of his gameplan and how he planned to execute vs. the Zags. I was somewhat surprised when he commented on not being afraid to make the game a "slugfest" considering Akron's reputation of fouling hard and number of fouls called per game. I'm not surprised at all their team is called for the most fouls in the nations considering their Coach seems to pride themselves on aggressive, mid-west, tough style of play.

meatwad_zip
03-16-2009, 12:22 PM
On ESPNU.

I found it interesting their Coach continually referenced dirtying the game up and slowing down the pace to stop our offense from clicking. Also, he mentioned they won't be afraid to punch us in the mouth considering our "finesse game" and "fluid offense" needs to be stopped. Did anyone else hear him say this? I was kinda taken back. I found this comment intriguing because Akron is notorious for hard fouls and scrappy play. As a matter of fact, they LEAD the entire nation in fouls per game at 20.2. I'm not surprised after listening to their Coach who isn't afraid to say their going to play overly aggressive to counter our style.

Zags better be ready...

Coach Dambrot often uses the analogy of a boxing match when discussing games. I.e. "we take their punch in the mouth and punch back." I can assure you he does not literally mean that we will be punching the Zags in the face, lol.

The strategy for us has to be to try and slow down the game and pull it out at the end. If we try to run up and down the court with you guys and get in a skill competition we have no chance, we all know that.

Please do not think that we are a dirty team. We play hard, but we do not play dirty. I want that to be very clear.

Nevtelen
03-16-2009, 12:23 PM
This could be a huge opportunity or a nightmare for Daye. If he gets it going early and responds well to the physical play a la the UConn game, I think we can expect great things (especially since he will be able to get any shot he wants over his defender, no doubt). If he lets Akron body him around and doesn't respond, it could be a big problem for us.

El Voce
03-16-2009, 12:29 PM
Coach Dambrot often uses the analogy of a boxing match when discussing games. I.e. "we take their punch in the mouth and punch back." I can assure you he does not literally mean that we will be punching the Zags in the face, lol.

The strategy for us has to be to try and slow down the game and pull it out at the end. If we try to run up and down the court with you guys and get in a skill competition we have no chance, we all know that.

Please do not think that we are a dirty team. We play hard, but we do not play dirty. I want that to be very clear.

Fortunately, the Zags have good experience with this kind of play, as witness our win over WSU and our sweep of San Diego. Yesterday, Coach Few said that the game would be a grinder, and it sounds like he is right.

Nevtelen is correct that AD will be big in this game -- either as a player who responds positively to rough play, or as a player that does not. IMO, Daye is maturing as the season has gone on, and I expect him to play very well, especially considering his big height advantage.

dnj116
03-16-2009, 12:32 PM
Just like we did against WSU, they may be able to slow down the game for the first part of the first half, however, we'll hopefully be able to enforce our style of play upon them through the second half. I imagine Few and the team are working over all this right now.

7ICoug
03-16-2009, 12:40 PM
that [Zip's] are spreading rumors about how we eat puppies.

:D

Gee last time I looked you Zag's have been pretty well known for eating certain across the state puppies on a regular basis :D

I think that contrary to dissing you he is giving your team the highest acolades. They have no chance if they do anything other than slow it down and Big10 you.

Even then they have no chance.

former1dog
03-16-2009, 12:53 PM
I think that contrary to dissing you he is giving your team the highest acolades. They have no chance if they do anything other than slow it down and Big10 you.

Even then they have no chance.

Shhhhhhhh, I'm trying to get the boys fired up.

I disagree, I think the Zips have made disparaging remarks about each of the players Moms!

BobZag
03-16-2009, 01:16 PM
Zags better be tough. I'd attack the hoop all game long.

cggonzaga
03-16-2009, 01:49 PM
Depending on what the refs let them get away with this game could and should be a blowout imo. Keep your composure and knock down your free throws boys. We seem like a very focused team right now. I honestly believe we'll blow through the first weekend setting up a showdown with UNC who I'm sure will have some revenge on their minds from 2 years ago.

UberZagFan
03-16-2009, 02:13 PM
Even if he was talking literally about "punches to the mouth" (we know he wasn't)--GU is more ready for that this year than in year's past.

ZagLawGrad
03-16-2009, 02:21 PM
This could be a huge opportunity or a nightmare for Daye. If he gets it going early and responds well to the physical play a la the UConn game, I think we can expect great things (especially since he will be able to get any shot he wants over his defender, no doubt). If he lets Akron body him around and doesn't respond, it could be a big problem for us.

Bingo. Austin is the one who could be vulnerable with rough play.

ZagLawGrad
03-16-2009, 02:22 PM

BZ---you are consistent, indeed! And I happen to agree.

Rangerzag
03-16-2009, 03:51 PM
Even if he was talking literally about "punches to the mouth" (we know he wasn't)--GU is more ready for that this year than in year's past.

Bingo, Uber.

SMC was a tune up for this. Zags showed lots of character by just "sawin' wood" instead of feeling sorry about fouls not being called.

Just play the game and put up the points.

More than any other year the Zags are ready to do this.

bigblahla
03-16-2009, 04:29 PM

.....and the bench, ball boy, team manager and anybody else that gets in our way.

It's war baby!

Go!! Zags!!!

zippyrifle32
03-16-2009, 05:06 PM
On ESPNU. I found this comment intriguing because Akron is notorious for hard fouls and scrappy play. As a matter of fact, they LEAD the entire nation in fouls per game at 20.2. I'm not surprised after listening to their Coach who isn't afraid to say their going to play overly aggressive to counter our style.

Zags better be ready...

well, in part it could be the scrappy play style, but a lot of it is the horrible mac refs. not just against us, but in general they are a mysterious and whistle happy group.

Rangerzag
03-16-2009, 05:42 PM
well, in part it could be the scrappy play style, but a lot of it is the horrible mac refs. not just against us, but in general they are a mysterious and whistle happy group.

We got some out here we would trade ya straight up, no questions asked :)

jim77
03-16-2009, 05:58 PM

Whistle happy??? You lead the nation in fouls for crying out loud. Don't blame the refs...theres a pattern here. You guy's "muddy the water" plan seems to be the season plan,huh.

NotoriousZ
03-16-2009, 06:01 PM
Sounds like we'd better continue with our stifling D. Get some steals and rebounds and see if they can stop us from running. And I definitely agree with BZ that we need to attack the basket. Hopefully, they'll be in big foul trouble and we'll sink our free throws. All in all, we have a great chance to play on Saturday IMHO. Go Zags!

johnwzag
03-16-2009, 06:04 PM
Whistle happy??? You lead the nation in fouls for crying out loud. Don't blame the refs...theres a pattern here. You guy's "muddy the water" plan seems to be the season plan,huh.

Jimmy where have you been most of this year? Have not seen your name much.

johnwzag
03-16-2009, 06:05 PM
We got some out here we would trade ya straight up, no questions asked :)

Seconded! Would it be possible to trade Samham along with those refs? :lmao:

Dave in Green
03-16-2009, 06:27 PM
It is pretty funny that we Zips fans take great pride in our team's tough defense and then complain about getting lots of fouls. And it's also funny to hear that Zags' fans are just as unhappy with the quality of the reffing out there as we are back in Ohio.

The fun thing about playing a new opponent for the first time and visiting their forums is that you see the same comments you see on your own team's forums.

We all probably have more in common than we have differences. The biggest difference between Gonzaga and Akron is that you guys have earned universal respectability and are now trying to take that last step to win a national championship. We're still trying to get to where you are now, along with a few hundred other college teams.

I really think you would appreciate our coach, Keith Dambrot. He is committed to winning with players of high character. He recruits players with strong family ties, and many of the parents attend all of the games.

OK, I know you still want to beat the crap out of us and move on to try to win your first national championship, and I don't blame you. But I hope after it's all over that you will have good thoughts about Akron's team, what we're trying to accomplish and how we're going about it.

JeffyJeff
03-16-2009, 07:26 PM
Dave - I watched the Zips take on Nevada a couple of years ago in your house while visiting the in-laws for the holidays in Cleveland. Loved your style of play, loved the gym and crowd (LeBron was there that night, that was pretty cool), and I walked away with a great appreciation for your team. I wish your guys nothing but the best, and am looking forward to the matchup.

montanazag88
03-16-2009, 08:04 PM
Rebounding, defensive pressure at all positions, rebounding, defensive pressure at all positions, rebounding and ....... no 3's until a 15 point lead. Feed the paint and drive the paint. The formula only gets more important in the NCAA's. We have the offense, we only need to focus on how to generate open shots to keep the offensive pressure - and the only way to do that is with rebounds and defense. Walking away....rebounding, defense.......................................

UberZagFan
03-16-2009, 08:24 PM
Attack attack attack on O is fine and dandy but GU should be doing the same on defense. While Uber has heard the Zips play a smart brand of b-ball with smart decisions and crisp passing and have some guards with decent handles and quickness, there is no question that GU is longer longer longer and likely just as quick if not quick with Pargo, Gray, and Goodson. Daye and Downs' length will counter any quickness the Zips 3s/2s have on them.

So with that in mind, GU needs to press/harass/etc. the Zips early and often--not just to cause TOs but to force them to play at a pace they don't want to play at and force them to get into their O earlier than they want to and force them to think that a quick drive to the hoop with JH and AD awaiting is a good idea.

A part of Uber's game plan would include a full court press right after the first TV TO with AD on the inbounds player and GUs standard 3 guard trap behind him with JH backing up the rear. Do this on every made shot inbounds/play.

Just remember that the best GU played against WSU and USD was when they put the pressure on and did not just react to the opponents' pressure.

For more in game strategies, feel free to PM Uber.

MedZag
03-16-2009, 08:47 PM
OK, I know you still want to beat the crap out of us and move on to try to win your first national championship, and I don't blame you. But I hope after it's all over that you will have good thoughts about Akron's team, what we're trying to accomplish and how we're going about it.

Don't think you have to worry about that Dave. You guys are a classy and basketball savvy bunch, it's been fun to read the back and forth. As much as Gonzaga is or isn't "big time" these days I think we still share a kindred spirit with the other little guys out there.

One of the fun things I love about March is getting to interact with fan bases you would never come across typically. As much as the Davidson loss stung last year, I have to say their fanbase was a classy bunch as well and I enjoyed my time spent over on their boards. So are Michigan St fans, Winthrop fans, Indiana fans, WKU fans, in fact the majority of fan bases out there we've come across in our years in the limelight. But when you come across the bad ones, man. Sure leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Some UNC fans are like that, which is a shame because their coach is such a stand up guy.