• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Baldwinzag
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Calipari's take on Zags vs Zips

Nothing we haven't heard before, yet still entertaining to hear Coach Calipari give a brief rundown of our 1st Round match-up.

My favorite from Cal, "Akron will give Gonzaga a game.......for awhile at least."

#4 Gonzaga vs. #13 Akron
    “You’ve got to hit the Zag standard.”

And if it happens, those rites of Autumn become the rites of Spring.
  • rawkmandale
    Banned
    • Feb 2007

Good find. Calipari is a great coach, and a very smart one. He makes it sound like the halftime score could be close, but watch out after that. Hopefully, GU can stun the Zips early the way we stunned Santa Clara and St. Mary's in the WCC Tournament.

Comment

• zagco
      Professional Zag Fan
      • Feb 2007

For some reason, Zagco still associates the Zips with Gerry Faust.

Comment

• UberZagFan
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by rawkmandale View Post
        He makes it sound like the halftime score could be close, but watch out after that.
        Uber was thinking more along the lines that he thinks it may be close up until the first TV timeout, but watch out after that!
        If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!

Comment

• mainer6
          Kennel Club Material
          • Mar 2009

I really appreciate that Coach Cal reminds folks that Memphis played really well when they stomped us. He told Few when they shook hands after the game "that is the best we can play."
          He seems to try to take the sting out of that thrashing. Whether or not it is true, I think that is the sign of a good winner. And, when you win as much as Memphis does, you can afford to be considerate. I hope Gonzaga fans, in our team's dominance of the WCC, remember to be humble.
          Some people have a way with words. Some people not have way.

Comment

• J-Lo
            Kennel Club Material
            • Feb 2007

I try to reserve judgment on coaches, players, etc. until I've seen quite a bit about them and watched their interactions. I'm still holding out on a final call Calipari, but he's definitely growing on me.

I also liked the way he addressed the questions about their seeding in the tournament, in that they've played well with what the committee has given them in the past, and they expect they'll play well again. He seems to be politely (or humbly?) honest, a combination of tact and truth that many lack.

Comment

Working...
            X