PDA

View Full Version : For God's sake, keep it to yourselves!

FuManShoes
03-16-2009, 08:46 AM
Bit perturbed the Zags are so openly delighted about this matchup against Akron. Confidence is one thing, but it's bordering on arrogance or at the very least giving Akron some bulletin board material.

http://www.seattlepi.com/cbasketball/403785_zags16.html

former1dog
03-16-2009, 08:55 AM
Agreed for the most part. I like our guys to be confident, but quietly so.

BobZag
03-16-2009, 08:55 AM
It's a wonderful opportunity but that's all it is: an opportunity. By no means is this first game a lock. Akron will come out and give it their all. I watched the MAC Champion give a very good Oregon team all they could handle a couple years ago in Spokane. This will not be easy.

Every single thought that goes through a brain doesn't have to be posted. Discretion is nice.

former1dog
03-16-2009, 09:01 AM
Every single thought that goes through a brain doesn't have to be posted. Discretion is nice.

If a thought isn't posted, was it actually a thought. ;) :D

ZagNative
03-16-2009, 09:02 AM
I didn't find anything disrespectful of Akron in the quotes. It seemed to me to be mostly delight with the location rather than undervaluing the opponents. And I don't think it's disrespectful to say that you feel as if you'll match up well against your opponent.

FuManShoes
03-16-2009, 09:02 AM
If Every single thought that goes through a brain doesn't have to be posted. Discretion is nice.

What about twittered thoughts? Does the same rule apply?

GonzagaDynasty
03-16-2009, 09:03 AM
I hope our guys dont take this for granted again..... Play with a chip on your shoulder, and prove everyone wrong... GO ZAGS

Jakester425
03-16-2009, 09:06 AM
I didn't find anything disrespectful of Akron in the quotes. It seemed to me to be mostly delight with the location rather than undervaluing the opponents. And I don't think it's disrespectful to say that you feel as if you'll match up well against your opponent.

Took the words out of my mouth.

CB4
03-16-2009, 09:17 AM
giving Akron some bulletin board material.

Let 'em post whatever they want on their bulletin board. Zagnation knows that the North West is Zag Country so I see no problem whatsoever with the Zags having confidence that is borderline arrogance.

RRZagFan
03-16-2009, 09:27 AM
on Krem 2 news last night,they showed the Zip players after they found out the matchup.They were saying they thought they could beat the zags also.Should be a good game.

Reborn
03-16-2009, 09:33 AM
on Krem 2 news last night,they showed the Zip players after they found out the matchup.They were saying they thought they could beat the zags also.Should be a good game.

They can beat the Zags. This is March Madness. I would say the only safe seeds, from looking at history, are the #1 seeds. 13 seeds have beaten 4's and I believe there will be a 13 seed beating someone in this tourney as well. Let's make sure it isn't Akron.

EngineerZag
03-16-2009, 09:42 AM
I wonder how many people last year thought that San Diego would beat UConn, as a 13 seed against a 4 seed.

That being said, I don't think those quotes indicate overconfidence or arrogance, just a good sort of healthy confidence like they had going into the WCC tournament ("smelling blood"). I think it's great.

bballbeachbum
03-16-2009, 09:43 AM
It's a wonderful opportunity but that's all it is: an opportunity. By no means is this first game a lock. Akron will come out and give it their all. I watched the MAC Champion give a very good Oregon team all they could handle a couple years ago in Spokane. This will not be easy.

WORD!!! all of them.

Express ourselves on the floor with our play!

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!

NJZag
03-16-2009, 11:02 AM
One word: W-Y-O-M-I-N-G
More words: I-N-D-I-A-N-A, D-A-V-I-D-S-O-N

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk-_Yr_RvGE&feature=related

Since the Ammo-less & Ronny-less version of the Zags, two of the three first-round flame-outs of the past Gonzaga Tournament Decade have occurred, essentially, on this team's watch. And while Raleigh might not have had a lot of Zag faithful in the stands, you can't say the same thing about Sacramento, nor the Pit at UNM.

Last year, Gonzaga opened the tournament in Raleigh, N.C., and lost a thriller to Davidson, a North Carolina school. "We had maybe 12 fans over there," senior point guard Jeremy Pargo said.

It's not the fans who play the games. Past teams that got deep could use a "chip" of a non-supportive, or even hostile, crowd when playing far from home. They were used to being disrespected. This team gave up not one, but two, double-digit leads against Davidson. They can't credit fans for those leads; they can't blame fans for losing those leads, either. :D Maybe Few should hie them off to a nunnery (with a practice court) until Thursday. :D They're only as good as their next game. Which they (not alumni and fans) will play. The Refs might play an interesting role, however.

N-E-V-A-D-A

Interesting information from a UNC fan about the brackets, and challenging another's claim that:

RE: Carolina has the probably the easiest route to the Final Four
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

From toughest to easiest using Pomeroy's rankings:

avg ranking of favorites in each bracket:
West - 20
MW - 22.1
South - 24.3
East - 25.8

avg ranking of projected path for #1 team (16, 8, 4, 2 seeds):
East - 44.3
South - 59.5
West - 62
MW - 66.3

avg ranking of projected path for #1 teams - less the 16 seed (8, 4, 2 seeds):
West - 17
South - 25.5
East - 28.5
Midwest - 28.5

avg ranking of projected path to Elite 8 - less the 15/16 seeds.
West 1 - 17
South 2 - 18.5
West 2 - 19.5
East 2 - 23.5
South 1 - 25.5
MW 1 - 28.5
East 1 - 28.5
MW 2 - 35

Conclusions:
Pitt clearly got the hardest 16 seed, but it's still a 16 seed. All in all, though, the East and Midwest are the easiest.

The West is the hardest bracket. UConn clearly has the hardest #2 seed with Memphis, who is Pomeroy's #1 ranked team. My original thought was that Memphis was skewing the strength of this bracket, but looking at the paths to the Elite 8 I realized that Uconn has the hardest projected path to the Elite 8 - surprisingly, - a harder path to the Elite 8 than Memphis!

The South is the 2nd hardest bracket, both in terms of projected path to the Elite 8 and Final 4. UNC's path is made to look weaker than it is because of LSU. Gonzaga is the toughest #4, by far. In fact, Gonzaga is a bigger challenge to UNC's reaching the Elite 8 than any team in Oklahoma's side of the bracket.

Then a Wake Forest fan chimes in to the UNC faithful:

Wake Forest Says Hello!!!!!!!

Gonzaga is a fraud. They have played nobody and their Conference is A LOT like Conference USA (but worse). Memphis and Gonzaga will be out in the Sweet Sixteen.

LSU scares me. Not much. But they're athletic and could give us fits. Western Kentucky will give Illinois trouble (they did beat Louisville). If Illinois wins that, they should easily beat Gonzaga.

I've got Memphis losing to Missouri in the 16.

Gonzaga is always the chic pick and they always do squat.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=78&f=1410&t=4088903

That last quote should go up on some lockers. It's what two straight years of 1st round eliminations make people think about a team. It's March and every team is dangerous. Even those from itty bitty conferences in the South, or one possibly overlooked conference in the MidWest.

4-and-13 seed "upsets" ... it's where upset territory begins to get more crowded.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Men's_Division_I_Basketball_Championship_Upse ts

LongIslandZagFan
03-16-2009, 11:59 AM
Please look at the thread that has Krem2 interviews... Matty and Pargo are taken out of context... big time. Thanks for all your help Howie.

UberZagFan
03-16-2009, 11:59 AM
Uber didn't see any arrogance or bulletin board material in that story. Nothing wrong with expressing a little pleasure in the seeding and the location when GU has been dogged in the past in both seeding and location.

LongIslandZagFan
03-16-2009, 12:01 PM
Uber didn't see any arrogance or bulletin board material in that story. Nothing wrong with expressing a little pleasure in the seeding and the location when GU has been dogged in the past in both seeding and location.

IMHO they way the article was written it seemed as though they were happy to be facing Akron.

UberZagFan
03-16-2009, 12:08 PM
IMHO they way the article was written it seemed as though they were happy to be facing Akron.

IUHO, they seemed to be happy to be facing Akron as a four seed in Portland and not a six seed playing VCU in Philly with Villanova looming in the second round.

LongIslandZagFan
03-16-2009, 12:09 PM
They could have been quoted better, especially after watching the interviews.

NJZag
03-16-2009, 12:44 PM
Please look at the thread that has Krem2 interviews... Matty and Pargo are taken out of context... big time. Thanks for all your help Howie.

I can't even find some of the direct quotes of the SPI article in the KREM interviews. E.g., Pargo says he's happy for GU fans to have a game nearby in the NW region so more can get to see it; he doesn't even mention "only 12 fans" in Raleigh at all!

Was there a separate Q&A that Howie conducted in person or by phone?

Maybe Howie, working for the SPI, is a UW fan. ;)

Zageist
03-16-2009, 03:14 PM
You know, it's just much more satisfying to gloat AFTER the win. Bragging before the loss is for chumps. Seems like GU always underperforms when favored - maybe that's because it just stings so much when they do. Let's hope they come out looking like the team that played in the WCC tourney, not the one that faced Wyoming, Davidson, etc.

zagray
03-16-2009, 07:48 PM
You cannot look over your shoulder and play not to lose. Forget the ghost of the past, start a new chapter. They're confident we are confident lets roll. :D

johnwzag
03-16-2009, 08:14 PM

I did not either. Being happy and confident is not a bad thing. I saw no arrogance or assumptions.

johnwzag
03-16-2009, 08:16 PM

I am happy we are facing Akron too. Aren't you? Would you prefer Syracuse?