PDA

View Full Version : Illinois or Western Kentucky

Grad Zag
03-16-2009, 09:40 AM
If we make it past Akron, who would you rather play? No disrespect to Akron because I have seen your team play and we all know anything can happen. I think that Illinois would be a better matchup for us to handle. Western Kentucky makes a pretty good percentage of 3's, and that kind of scares me. What are your thoughts if we make it past the first round?

kitzbuel
03-16-2009, 09:42 AM
I am rooting for WKU to beat Ill.

Go Toppers!

former1dog
03-16-2009, 09:43 AM
Would rather play Illinois, but I would bet that we end up playing WKU. They'll be tough!

Go Zags, beat Akron!!

bullzag23
03-16-2009, 09:47 AM
I'd rather see the Illini at this point, especially since their PG is hurt. I'll take my advantages where I can get them.

ZagManFan
03-16-2009, 09:55 AM
I want Illinois. I still remember a drubbing by them a couple years ago.

BobZag
03-16-2009, 09:56 AM
Akron.

GonzagaDynasty
03-16-2009, 10:01 AM
Akron.

Bobzag, I was about to say the exact same thing until I saw your post... Oh well, I'll say it anyways.

AKRON.

bartruff1
03-16-2009, 10:04 AM
Akron. I think this will be our toughest game till the Elite Eight.....Akron has nothing to lose and will play like that, good and loose...the Zags need to be ready to play and it will be difficult not to overlook the ZIPS...Sure, they are no Davidson and this is Portland not NC...but....the Zags have to focus to win...then all things are possible even likely....let us pray

zagsfanforlife
03-16-2009, 10:12 AM
I think this will be our toughest game till the Elite Eight.....Akron has nothing to lose and will play like that, good and loose...the Zags need to be ready to play and it will be difficult not to overlook the ZIPS...Sure, they are no Davidson and this is Portland not NC...but....the Zags have to focus to win...then all things are possible even likely....let us pray

Wait, so Akron will be tougher than a possible matchup against North Carolina in the sweet sixteen?

How do you figure? No discredit to Akron, but if we make it that far, which you are implying, I would be a little more worried about Psycho T, Thompson, Lawson, Ellington and Green.

23dpg
03-16-2009, 10:15 AM
I think this will be our toughest game till the Elite Eight.....Akron has nothing to lose and will play like that, good and loose...the Zags need to be ready to play and it will be difficult not to overlook the ZIPS...Sure, they are no Davidson and this is Portland not NC...but....the Zags have to focus to win...then all things are possible even likely....let us pray

Are you expecting UNC to lose or do you really think they will be easier than Akron?

BobZag
03-16-2009, 10:17 AM
Are you expecting UNC to lose or do you really think they will be easier than Akron?

Akron will be a lot tougher than UNC if Gonzaga bows out before the Sweet 16.

GonzagaDynasty
03-16-2009, 10:18 AM
Nobody in the nation is tougher than Akron.... Because we arent playing anybody in the nation other than Akron... Worry about AKRON.

Did I mention Akron?

zagsfanforlife
03-16-2009, 10:26 AM
After the wyoming game, anything is possible.

But I still dont understand the logic from a reasonable person's point of view that a game vs Akron will be tougher than a game vs North Carolina. I dont think its arrogance to consider a game vs the tar heels... more like confidence. I hope our team expects to beat Akron, prepares to beat Akron, and will show who is the much better team thursday night.

Until then I will continue my study guide on Neo-Aristotelian criticism.

cjm720
03-16-2009, 10:29 AM
Would rather play Illinois, but I would bet that we end up playing WKU. They'll be tough!

Go Zags, beat Akron!!

ditto

mendiant
03-16-2009, 10:38 AM
I like the idea of beating Akron first as well...go figure!

BobZag
03-16-2009, 10:49 AM
Let's get outta the first round...for a CHANGE!

Beat Akron!

EngineerZag
03-16-2009, 10:50 AM
You guys are funny. We're fans, we can afford to dream a little about future potential matchups. The team needs to be completely dialed in and focused on Akron at this point, but hey we've got the luxury to daydream a bit.

Reborn
03-16-2009, 11:07 AM
Akron
Akron
Akron
A k r o n
AKRON
A K R O N

There is no other game but Akron. This will be the toughest game we've ever played and we'd better get ready for it. To think otherwise is complete foolishness.

THIS IS MARCH MADNESS

bartruff1
03-16-2009, 11:08 AM
Are you expecting UNC to lose or do you really think they will be easier than Akron?... I am worried they may overlook Akron...IMO Gonzaga matches up very well against UNC... I will repeat Robert M Knight's observation that the Tourney is 4/5s mental...

GoZAGsMang
03-16-2009, 11:09 AM
Akron

One game at a time

GoZAGsMang

SwainZag
03-16-2009, 11:17 AM
... I am worried they may overlook Akron...IMO Gonzaga matches up very well against UNC... I will repeat Robert M Knight's observation that the Tourney is 4/5s mental...

There is only a handfull of players on this roster who have seend action past the first round. Two straight opening round exits don't cause many players to look beyond that. I think they will be focused and come out hot, I expect nothing less.

ZagLawGrad
03-16-2009, 11:18 AM
You guys are funny. We're fans, we can afford to dream a little about future potential matchups. The team needs to be completely dialed in and focused on Akron at this point, but hey we've got the luxury to daydream a bit.

LOL. Agreed. Try as we might, us fans aren't going to jinx the Zags. If the team wants it bad enough, we'll go deep in this Dance.

Reborn
03-16-2009, 11:32 AM
Keep doing what you've been doing and keep saying what you've been saying. It all works, and everything fits together. But as you do what you do and say what you say, dont forget to think Akron. Beat Akron. Beat them up bad.

zagsfanforlife
03-16-2009, 11:33 AM

Agree. I dont know about you guys, but after watching the Zags get announced in this particular region, one of the first things i thought about was GU vs NC. The players need to focus. Us fans focusing on Akron is not going to help Josh, or Jeremy, Or Micah or Austin focus one zilch. As a fan I will continue my dreaming.

75Zag
03-16-2009, 11:48 AM
Two one-and-done years in a row have been disaster for GU recruiting. The first NCAA win will somewhat restore the credibility of our program with the national media and, more importantly, the AAU coaches that tell the elite high school players where to enroll (not that I like it, but that's the truth). Two or three more wins and we will be back in contention for the Burger Boys and Kevin Love style wide-bodies that so many of us want to see playing at GU.

Of course the fantasy life of a fan like me won't have any impact on how the team plays. But I am going to focus on this game and hope there will be another opportunity to talk about opponents on Thursday night.

Go Bulldogs! Stop the Zip(per)s!

PS - Wasn't there a drive in on Division named Zips? Is it still there? Good fries and nearly fatal grease on the burgers? Since they changed the configuration of Division northbound I have not seen it on my recent trips to Spokane.

Reborn
03-16-2009, 11:49 AM
While you're dreamin Zagfanforlife the rest of us will get to enjoy the journey. I, for one don't want to many any of it, beginning with Akron. I want to think about Akron all day long. :D I'm reading about them as much as my heart can take. I'm posting about them. I want to enjoy this game so much. This is the biggest game of the year. It's bigger than then Tennessee (both times), it's bigger than Memphis, larger than all three games against St Mary's.

This is Akron in the first round. And like it has been said, We haven't been past the first round in 3 years...yes 3 years. So go and dream. We'll let you know how it went. Come back Friday and check out the board.

MNZag96
03-16-2009, 11:53 AM
Zips fries with tartar sauce was responsible for my freshman 15.

Beat Akron!!

DoMieD
03-16-2009, 11:57 AM
Would rather play Illinois, but I think Western Kentucky will win..

JUST BEAT AKRON though!

Zagriculture
03-16-2009, 11:58 AM
mmm, Papa joe, man I miss Zips, have it every time I go back to the Spokanistan.

bullzag23
03-16-2009, 11:58 AM
PS - Wasn't there a drive in on Division named Zips? Is it still there? Good fries and nearly fatal grease on the burgers? Since they changed the configuration of Division northbound I have not seen it on my recent trips to Spokane.

There was and still is. There's a Zip's on 3rd near the rest of the fast food locations, as well as one near GU on Division. There's also an East Trent location(I'm sure there are many more). It's quite delicious;)

zagsfanforlife
03-16-2009, 12:01 PM
Cheer up Reborn, we just made the tourney, got a four seed, playing in Portland. Life is good. Don't get so offensive bud. Go get some fresh air, maybe that will help.

UberZagFan
03-16-2009, 12:01 PM
Zips fries with tartar sauce was responsible for my freshman 15.

Beat Akron!!

The fries with tartar were money.

lothar98zag
03-16-2009, 05:49 PM
Illinois or Western Kentucky - If we make it past Akron, who would you rather play?

Either or even both, it doesn't matter to me, as long as GU gets by Akron, otherwise know as - the best team in the world!!!!

NEC26
03-16-2009, 05:55 PM
I would rather play WKU mainly because it means a non BCS team won but also because Bruce Weber is an excellent coach who plays a slow down style that we so often seem to struggle against. Much rather play WKU for the second year in a row.

RenoZag
03-16-2009, 05:56 PM
Zips makes a really good greasy cheeseburger that rides well on top of almost any alcoholic combo one cares to envision.

Don't care who we play.

TacomaZAG
03-16-2009, 05:58 PM
Order the Papa Joe, with a side of tartar sauce. Some people might tell you the Bellybuster is the better sandwich, but those are the same people who say Few is leaving Gonzaga after this season.

It just ain't true............

Beat Akron, I'll be there watching the whole thing. Can I have a UW sweatshirt over my Pendo jersey during the Fusky game, or will they fight and send me into convulsions???????????

Go ZAGS

RenoZag
03-16-2009, 06:08 PM
Can I have a UW sweatshirt over my Pendo jersey during the Fusky game, or will they fight and send me into convulsions???????????

Go ZAGS

They may spontaneously combust due to incompatible chemistry.

TacomaZAG
03-16-2009, 06:31 PM
please sprinkle my ashes in the old Kennel, after we beat Akron.

Go ZAGS

RooTheDay
03-16-2009, 06:56 PM
I'll be glad if we play either one but I would prefer to get a rivalry started with WKU in case we ever end up in the same conference or start up an OOC series.

Go Zips !

http://zipsnation.org/forums//style_emoticons/default/macc.gif

johnwzag
03-16-2009, 07:08 PM
I am going to be Cheering for Western Kentucky and Gonzaga.

Thinking only about the Akron game!

Go Toppers!
Go Zags!

Worry about round 2 when we/if we get there.

Pargo the Destroyer
03-17-2009, 07:45 PM
im cheering for the papajoe, i dont think the bellybuster has the depth and quickness at the point. That being said, the bellybuster really had a good late season, qualifying via winning their conference championship against the upstart bacon cheeseburger who beat the number 2 seed corndog it a tight one.

GoZAGsMang
03-17-2009, 08:19 PM
Pass the tartar we are eatin Zips for dinner on Thurs!!!

GoZAGsMang

Reborn
03-17-2009, 10:09 PM
I really don't get this talk about, "I'm not important as a fan. I don't have an effect on the team." Right. That's why the Seahawks have a flag with the #12 on it hoisted before every home game. Every owner of a professional franchise and every University President knows exactly how important the fans are. And ask any coach or any player how important fans are.

YOU ARE IMPORTANT.

sullyzag66
03-17-2009, 10:17 PM
... I am worried they may overlook Akron...IMO Gonzaga matches up very well against UNC... I will repeat Robert M Knight's observation that the Tourney is 4/5s mental...
He also says "the whole idea of seeding is kind of ridiculous."

So, you play, you win, you move on, or not.

Thursday, it's all about Akron!

Once and Future Zag
03-17-2009, 10:24 PM
Let's get outta the first round...for a CHANGE!

Beat Akron!

So say we all.

T-bonedazag
03-17-2009, 10:44 PM
You have to go with the Papa Joe and tartar sauce...but their fry sauce might be the most amazing thing to come out of the 509 besides me and Gonzaga...I think I will get the Papa Joe combo thursday for a halftime treat

I almost forgot

Go Zags!!

ZagLawGrad
03-18-2009, 07:44 AM
WKU or Illinois? Can't make my mind up on that one. But if the Illini point guard is not up to par, well.....hmmmmm

Belly Buster is the choice otherwise.

JPtheBeasta
03-18-2009, 11:34 AM
I won't be in Spokane for the game, but if I was I would buy a Belly Buster from Zip's and stab it with a fork, or dump it in a bucket of ice water- using it as a voodoo doll, of sorts.

Of course, I would also buy a cheeseburger on behalf of Pargo and let it watch the whole thing.

Beware of the Voodoo Burger!!