PDA

View Full Version : Are we already in the Sweet 16....

TM27
03-15-2009, 09:35 PM
I guess I am Debbie Downer or maybe I am afraid of the jinx or maybe this is a BZ doom thread...either way I am somewhat surprised by the confidence on this board. We are the fanbase of a team that has lost in the 1st rd each of the last two years, has advanced past the first weekend just once since 2002....and that one time was an 11 point collapse in less than 3 minutes (UCLA), and by seeding standards we have become notorious for underachieving during March.

I am a homer, but this team, and staff, have not proven much (lately) when it comes to March. These are not WCC teams we will play, and if I am an Akron coach I am telling my team that GU is fragile in March.

GU has a lot to prove...and the committee has finally rewarded them by not completely screwing them. GU must seize this opportunity. Focus on Akron.

Sorry for the doom and gloom but I dont see how, or why, we are penciling ourselves into the second weekend with talks of UNC, our easy path, etc? Doesnt WKU have more tourney experience than this team? Someone pump me up because right now I am apprehensive about GU's march approach, and I am not as sold on the easy path.

CB4
03-15-2009, 10:04 PM
I really don't think our previous tournament results are any indication of where this team is capable of going. Sure, we haven't been so hot in the last couple of years but I really doubt any of the coaches or players are thinking with that kind of mentality. I'm sure they are thinking more along the lines of "we have an opponent, Akron, that we are capable of beating and when we do beat them and we take on Illinois, we are capable of beating them too, if we play to the level we know we can."

So, since we all believe in our team on this board and know what they are capable of accomplishing, there is no reason for us not to pencil us in against Carolina in the Sweet Sixteen.

Ezag
03-15-2009, 10:07 PM
Hey, I think we can get to the Sweet 16, but I also thought that last year (I didn't know who Davidson was) and I thought we had a good chance the year before when Indiana bounced us.

Nevertheless, I think this team is a better all round team then those last 2.

MotoZag
03-15-2009, 10:08 PM
I understand your concern, but perhaps that pep-talk is best saved for the guys that will be on the court? Fans have no less responsibility to perform than a biased analyst *cough* Vitale *cough*. Don't put so much pressure on yourself to stay reserved. We're fans for a reason, and our reasoning isn't always warranted, but we support our guys and believe in them.

Perhaps the reward is because we actually earned it this year? The team is taking games one at a time I'm sure, but we're not the team. What does it hurt for us to speculate in a positive manner? Given the first round track record of the last few years, I can understand some fear, which is where your concerns are derived I presume.

Potentially and statistically we should be able to beat the first two teams we play with plenty of margin and ease, but there is always the possibility of an injury (god forbid) during the game or the like. We'd all be delusional if we thought that it was impossible to lose until the Sweet 16.

Again, I understand where you're coming from, but we're here for support and the exude confidence to the guys on the court.

Cheer up buddy! :)

TM27
03-15-2009, 10:14 PM
Cheer up buddy! :)

Okay :) I am glad you are all more confident about this team than I am. Maybe it will rub off on me and make me more confident....which normally leads to me unintentionally destroying my office bracket chances ;)

MedZag
03-15-2009, 10:15 PM
Half the fun of March is prognosticating and looking at your "path through the bracket."

Fans of teams 1-65 are all doing the same thing, dreaming of different roads to the final four.

It's not hubris or jumping to conclusions or taking wins for granted. It's just March, baby!

ZagsGoZags
03-15-2009, 10:26 PM
Two ways to look at this, either realistic predictions in which a person might put us deep into the dance
or
from the mentality of a player, coach, of fan who has been hurt a lot recently by having too high hopes

they are both intriguing ways to look at it, but the 2nd path only sees Akron

DoMieD
03-15-2009, 11:00 PM
Half the fun of March is prognosticating and looking at your "path through the bracket."

Fans of teams 1-65 are all doing the same thing, dreaming of different roads to the final four.

It's not hurbis or jumping to conclusions or taking wins for granted. It's just March, baby!

QFT

gamagin
03-16-2009, 08:19 AM
I guess I am Debbie Downer or maybe I am afraid of the jinx or maybe this is a BZ doom thread...either way I am somewhat surprised by the confidence on this board. We are the fanbase of a team that has lost in the 1st rd each of the last two years, has advanced past the first weekend just once since 2002....and that one time was an 11 point collapse in less than 3 minutes (UCLA), and by seeding standards we have become notorious for underachieving during March.

I am a homer, but this team, and staff, have not proven much (lately) when it comes to March. These are not WCC teams we will play, and if I am an Akron coach I am telling my team that GU is fragile in March.

GU has a lot to prove...and the committee has finally rewarded them by not completely screwing them. GU must seize this opportunity. Focus on Akron.

Sorry for the doom and gloom but I dont see how, or why, we are penciling ourselves into the second weekend with talks of UNC, our easy path, etc? Doesnt WKU have more tourney experience than this team? Someone pump me up because right now I am apprehensive about GU's march approach, and I am not as sold on the easy path.

This isn't the league anymore. This is the dance. each game is a tournament all in itself. a whole season, too. So trying to figure out who we may meet, unlike looking past the WCC to the dance and the ff in, say, July, well, there's a big difference.

our ticket is punched. we know who we must go through to advance. the targets have been identified for at least the first three games -- even if we don't know exactly which team, we know which teams we must prepare to beat.

Agree it's one game at a time. But unlike the season and the pre season, every game is now one and done for the loser. So, yes, we need to play em and take em one game at a time. Everyone does.

But. But, if we take care of business like we have already demonstrated an ability to do, well, there's no harm, finally, in discussing what is likely to be on the trail ahead. Imo. I am confident in this sense: the team is playing with confidence.

It's even okay to be a Debbie Downer if that is part of your particular dance prep. It's all fair game at this point.

This tourney's participants are going to be cut in half twice in just a very few days. In the blink of an eye compared to the months and even years of preparation that went into getting here.

For my money, I think we have set the table for making some distance this year into the dance. Sunday's placement made that look even better.

and the good lord willing and the creek don't rise, we COULD be looking at UNC and hopefully, beyond, if we can harness the momentum, continue to build on it, and run with it from now forward. we don't so much have to build our momentum from scratch, either, it appears, as take the momentum we've created and keep it going.

But the road and the momentum will begin again w/Akron, as you point out, and that is all that matters for our team right now.

But we fans, coaches and friends and families, can dream a little in the process and I don't think it will cause any harm. Besides, it sure feels good and it is definitely more promising than recent years.

There's a certain momentum that goes with the idea that our timing as a team and our opportunities, and therefore our chances, seem to be taking on a life of their own as well.

So, I hope, does that chip on their shoulders that appeared suddenly in the WCC tournament. Because this team does have something to prove.

And that is they are fully capable of playing with, staying with and beating the best there are in college basketball on any given day. And this is our opportunity to prove it.

Go TEAM Zags !

bartruff1
03-16-2009, 08:26 AM
Need to beat Akron to get started but then the easiest path possible to the Elite 8....both NC and Oka OVERATED... no match for the Zags...

GonzagaDynasty
03-16-2009, 08:26 AM
I understand the OP as well.. Im so scared of overlooking Akron, and then if we do win that game, our 2nd round opponent... Im so supersticious, that its sick.. BUt I also agree with the guys that what we talk about, and what we do, has no effect on the team.

This team, these guys, and this program means more to me than anything in my life.. Gonzaga basketball IS my life and Im pretty emotional right now.. I want to win in the tourney this year so bad that I barely can function. I just pray the guys give it their all and play their best, and play with emotion and energy.. If they do that, I can live with a loss.... BUT if they DO all of this, I dont see them losing for a long time..

Please Zags, DO IT FOR US!!!!!!!! Spokane LIVES for Gonzaga basketball!!

ZagManFan
03-16-2009, 08:42 AM
Okay :) I am glad you are all more confident about this team than I am. Maybe it will rub off on me and make me more confident....which normally leads to me unintentionally destroying my office bracket chances ;)

Would a 20+ point win on Thursday help?:D

former1dog
03-16-2009, 08:46 AM
Need to beat Akron to get started but then the easiest path possible to the Elite 8....both NC and Oka OVERATED... no match for the Zags...

I think Oklahoma isn't as good as the hype, but UNC is as good as advertised.

Either way, if we play either one of the those teams the reality is that it will be an extremely tough game and although I DO think we can win, I won't be surprised if we were to lose.

BobZag
03-16-2009, 09:03 AM
Beat Akron!

LongIslandZagFan
03-16-2009, 09:05 AM
Just beat Akron. Worry about everything else afterwards.

cjm720
03-16-2009, 09:39 AM
We are undefeated in tournaments this year and we will be after this weekend. We will crush Akron and should fairly easily slide into the Sweet 16!

GO ZAGS!!

McZag
03-16-2009, 09:44 AM
Just beat Akron. Worry about everything else afterwards.

Right On!

LIZF nails it again!

BobZag
03-16-2009, 09:46 AM
Really beat Akron!

Reborn
03-16-2009, 10:15 AM
Beat Akron up. Bad. Make them remember the Zags in a whole new way, and make them feel that they WILL NEVER want to play us again. NEVER.

FrosTbear
03-16-2009, 11:03 AM
We create our tomorrows by what we dream today. My dream final 4...I have said this all year and I am not moving! See you in Detroit!

FuManShoes
03-16-2009, 11:33 AM
Portland: Where wings take dream!
http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/blbushism-wings.htm

kdoggy
03-16-2009, 11:53 AM
March makes me a nervous wreck. All the teams are here becuase they win and they have beat some good teams. I don't think you can overlook the Zips or anyone else.

That said, I like the draw overall, and I hope we destroy the Zips Thurs.

GonzagaDynasty
03-16-2009, 12:13 PM
Beat the Zips like we beat the Gaels. Destroy them. make them look so foolish, that they look like an NIT team