• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Baldwinzag
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

"why is everyone so scared of Gonzaga?"

Interesting thread started on Tarheel's message board regarding Gonzaga. In addition to the analysts, it appears we are garnering respect from all potential opponents in our bracket as well.

Gonzaga has jelled the past month and is now a much better team than the one Memphis beat. Pargo is a tough, cagey, physically impressive PG. Daye is a freak talent of a 6-11 kid with WF skills. Heytvelt is a solid 6-11 C who clears the middle for the Zags. Bouldin is a player who reminds me of Matt Doherty: at first does not seem impressive, but quietly accumulates points, rebounds, assists, and steals and is something of a coach on the court. Bouldin is the glue for Gonzaga. Downs is a 6-8 WF who can nail 3s and spread the D, making it much easier for Daye and Pargo to work their magic and Heytvelt to be left one on one down low.
    “You’ve got to hit the Zag standard.”

And if it happens, those rites of Autumn become the rites of Spring.
  • johnwzag
    Zag for Life
    • Mar 2008

I love this one...

We will not do a thing to stop Gonzaga's offense. Period. It's not a matter of effort or want to, they're gonna eat our man to man and our personnel alive offensively. If they're not missing shots on their own, they're gonna give us a ton of trouble. I still think we'll win, but they're the only team in our bracket that I'm worried about at all. Hopefully they'll lose before we play them as Illinois matches up very well with them.
    When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep - not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Comment

• johnwzag
      Zag for Life
      • Mar 2008

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep - not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Comment

They don't seem to know much about us other then we beat them a while back. I love how they say we don't have a deep bench.

I see UNC getting knock out again this year, I hope by us. We're jumping a bit ahead, but its fun to talk about. I just hope this teams plays with some aggression the rest of the year, they really have no one to fear.

Comment

• gamagin
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

like everyone else,

they think we are beatable underneath (too soft) and that even if JH is taller, he likes the perimeter.

I'm hoping we disappoint them all mightily.

We can, as long as we use our tallest underneath and fight like there's no tomorrow. Because there won't be if we don't pull ourselves in to position and stand our ground.

Go TEAM Zags !
          Last edited by gamagin; 03-15-2009, 09:06 PM.
          Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
          Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
          Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• WallaWallaZag
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by drogba11 View Post
            They don't seem to know much about us other then we beat them a while back. I love how they say we don't have a deep bench.
            ...and i would agree with them. what are you smoking? we don't have a deep bench, that's a fact, especially without rob. at an ncaa tournament level, we only go seven deep with meech and gray and have no inside depth. foster and ira are not sweet sixteen caliber subs in the frontcourt and we will be in trouble if josh gets some fouls.

it will be really important for daye to stay out of foul trouble, which he is prone to...why? because we can get away with playing micah at the 4 spot in the wcc but no way that works against legit teams.

Comment

• zagfan16
              Bulldog Fan
              • Oct 2007

As much as I was hoping to have Sacre back, I think that will and ira can both play some minutes in the right spots. Granted if we are talking extended minutes we could be in big trouble. But with the wealth of perimeter talent and the way pargo and bouldin can get into the paint I believe other teams elite bigs will be prone to foul trouble ala Thabeet in seattle. GU seems to always find a way to get competitive minutes out of their bench. And if the perimeter boys aren't scoring we aren in alot of trouble no matter who is in the post.

Comment

• CB4
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2009

I really think that Sacre made the right decision in taking the red shirt, but now that the bracket is set and we are able to speculate, my opinion is a little different. I tend to agree with WallaWalla that we are not as solid as we think off the bench, so if Rob is having solid practices and is 90% healthy, I think it would be in the Zags' best interests to play him if and only if they make the Sweet Sixteen against UNC.

Comment

• MotoZag
                  Kennel Club Material
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by CB4 View Post
                  I really think that Sacre made the right decision in taking the red shirt, but now that the bracket is set and we are able to speculate, my opinion is a little different. I tend to agree with WallaWalla that we are not as solid as we think off the bench, so if Rob is having solid practices and is 90% healthy, I think it would be in the Zags' best interests to play him if and only if they make the Sweet Sixteen against UNC.
                  If they are going to play rob, they would need to play him starting game 1. He's been out of play for many months and it's going to take him several games to get game-type conditioning up as well as getting used to playing opponents other than his own teammates that aren't out for blood. Sacre is a decision that should have been made weeks ago or not at all.

Comment

• CDC84
                    Super Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

The Zags have as much depth as UNC does at the 1, 2 and 3, but the Zags lack depth at the 4-5. Meanwhile, UNC has a 4 man big man rotation consisting of a 1st team AA, two other McDonald's AA's, and a big man in Thompson that Gonzaga's staff wanted. There's a good chance that Gonzaga would lose a war of attrition against UNC. GU would need to zone to protect Heytvelt and Daye....and do so a lot......

Comment

• willandi
                      Zag for Life
                      • Nov 2007

So what a lot of it comes down to, is WHEN we face NC, the zebras can affect the outcome of the game. If they let them play. but allow TH to hook, pull and bull, then we are doomed. If they call the true fouls, but let the ticky-tacky stuff slide then we can play with them big time. I think that Big Will can impose a mental wall on their inside players, and affect their shot selection. If they are close-to-the basket guys, then it helps us, but if they are content with taking the midrange J and make them, then we have to adapt.
                      I think we will surprise a lot of people and make it past the sweet sixteen. At that point, anything is possible.
                      One worry though. If we make the FF, what do we do with the players that want to transfer in or sign letters of intent. We are pretty booked for the next two years.
                      Will
                      Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• Rubbadub
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

If Josh plays like he did in the last meeting, we win.
                        sigpic Just Foo'in around.

Comment

• ZagLawGrad
                          Zag for Life
                          • Nov 2008

It will come down to how much the Zags really want to win. It sure seems that when Josh gets a nasty, A*# kicking attitude, the team plays much better. I hope all the guys show that attitude.
                          "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                            • Feb 2007

I just want to get past Akron... then get by the WKU/Illinois game. While I think we could win the game against UNC, right now I just want to get through Thursday's game.
                            "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• EngineerZag
                              Kennel Club Alum
                              • Feb 2007

Why is everyone scared of Gonzaga? According to one poster,

Their hair. Plus the fact that their coach looks like the Notre Dame mascot.

Comment

Working...
                              X