PDA

View Full Version : TOUGH Bracket!

hoopster777
03-15-2009, 02:57 PM
Honestly I feel we are in the toughest all around bracket.....our road to the sweet sixteen is about the best possible of the #4 seeds, but after that, UNC, Oklahoma, Syracuse, and Arizona State are all legit teams. Syracuse is hot, Oklahoma is not so much, but we have nobody to body up on Griffin. Thats if we get past UNC. Only fortunate thing is Lawson may not be playing, but UNC is still the best all around team in the country. They've lost some games, but this is the one team I didn't want to play.

gu03alum
03-15-2009, 03:04 PM
UNC is tough, but they are not a great defensive team. I'm not saying Gonzaga will beat them, but they can.

TokyoZag
03-15-2009, 03:18 PM
Wow. Different perspective I suppose.

I think we got one of the easier brackets.

We avoided Pitt, LV and Memphis. Also most of the 3pt specialty teams like NDSt live in other regions.

That being said, WesternKY could be a little scary.
Blake Griffin is definitely scary, but for some reason his team not so much. Oklahoma's weakness have been somewhat exposed for us over the past couple weeks.

UNC... If we do meet them, I bet Tyler H. will be out looking for revenge. Hopefully Ty Lawson gets better for them. They went SMC/Mills without him.

JAGzag
03-15-2009, 03:55 PM
You're worried about meeting UNC? Hell, I'd be happy if we just made it to the Sweet 16!

vaboris
03-15-2009, 03:55 PM
Others have said this is one of the easiest brackets. It might not be the easiest - but it definetly isn't the hardest.

hoopster777
03-15-2009, 04:05 PM
You're worried about meeting UNC? Hell, I'd be happy if we just made it to the Sweet 16!

Yes I would be too, but I think everyone has had high expectations for this team....if we didn't make the sweet 16 this year it would be a huge step back for this program and a major disappointment for this senior class.

TacomaZAG
03-15-2009, 04:10 PM
we could have hoped for. Great road to the Sweet 16 and after that everybody is good. Although I would have preferred UCONN of all the #1's, Memphis is in that bracket as the #2. So, being in the UNC bracket is as good as it gets.

One game at a time, and starting in Portland. It doesn't get any better......

Go ZAGS

kclubfounder
03-15-2009, 04:18 PM
Tough bracket! Dang! There are not only members of the top 20 in this bracket, but there are also members of the top 10! How unlucky can we get! Dang it! I know, I bet Libbey was on the committee.

zag944
03-15-2009, 04:33 PM
i think we got the 2 and 3 seeds that scare me the least. unfortunately we are on the UNC side of the bracket.

Zag79
03-16-2009, 08:09 PM
the toughest bracket? wow i thought we are in the 3rd or 4th toughest. the west and midwest are wicked. nc as tough as they are, have lost to us before and we match up better with them than the other ones by far. oklahoma as a 2 is another team that i think we can beat if we play well. as for the road to the sweet 16, im not being overconfident BUT any hoops watcher would say thats a nice draw for a 4 seed. akron, then illinois or wku? anything can happen but this bracket is way easier than it could have been ala davidson in NC last year.

Zagtain
03-16-2009, 08:24 PM
I was way excited when I saw our placement in this bracket, even though I also think that this is one of the tougher brackets. I mean, we'll match up great against UNC, with or without Lawson, and not to mention against Syracuse (I got them beating Oklahoma). We're just being too subconcious about how good our Zags are. Flip... I got them going to the final four! Pardon my excitement, maybe I'm just expecting too much? Then again, who wasn't expecting a final four appearance at the begging of the season?

NorthWestZag
03-16-2009, 08:39 PM
So this board, the newspapers, and our team have all looked pass Akron.

Then we are debating possible match ups with Illinois and W. Kentucky.

Now we are drooling over Heytvelt vs. Hansbrough II?

Please guys, I hate this talk. Everyone thought it was automatic that it would be Gonzaga vs. Butler up in Alaska last year. What happened? We barely got by W. Kentucky and loss to a below average Texas Tech team.

Everyone thought we would see a huge East-West Jesuit showdown between Gonzaga and Georgetown last year. What happened? We looked past Davidson because they were on autobid from a low major conference.

And after a great start this year, our players and this board were talking about an undefeated season. We then lost to Arizona and dropped 4 of the next 5.

I know as fans we can't control how the team performs. But I think things do rub-off on eachother. Lets worry about overcoming the "hump" of winning in the first round now. I only want to focus on Thursday's game against Akron. Much like Davidson and W. Kentucky last year, Akron has been written off by the pundits and the Zags have pretty much been etched in stone for the second round. Akron has nothing to lose, and I expect they will play like it.

UberZagFan
03-16-2009, 08:42 PM
Whether or not this is the "toughest" bracket, GU got a pretty good path--about the best they could hope for. Akron and then Illini/WKU couldn't look more agreeable. Obviously, any team is tough to beat in the NCAAs but if you had to pick, this would be the 4 seed pod you'd pick for GU (and not to mention the love on the seed).

After that, it's anyone's game. Potentially going up against UNC is again the best GU could wish for though Uber thinks UNC may be the best of the ones with a healthy Lawson. It's just that GU matches up better against UNC than they do Pitt or Louisville and for UConn, well you never want to relive season match ups in the tourney if you don't have to--yes you can use it for payback motivation but it can also work towards that "if we can't beat them in Sea then we can't beat them anywhere mentality"--save that for the FF.

As for the bottom half, if Syracuse comes out of that then GU should be happy but OK is another story. Sure they have weaknesses, but Uber would not want to see that matchup---can you see JH and AD spending 14 mins in the first half on the bench with foul trouble? Uber can.

In any case, it won't be easy -- in fact, it'll be nice just to see them play on Saturday considering the last two years -- but if you have to pick a region to be a four in for GU, Uber would pick this one.

DoMieD
03-16-2009, 08:48 PM
Gotta beat the best team to be the best team..

Good draw, we need to beat the teams we're suppose to beat, and then play the game of our lives to beat UNC, but it's VERY possible..

johnwzag
03-16-2009, 08:48 PM
Agreed with everything Uber said. I would not want to be anywhere else in this bracket or other brackets. Josh and the gang beat UNC 2 years ago. It is possible to do it again.

brosco13
03-16-2009, 09:56 PM
ill be watching the game at the acrop:)

JLGutrocks
03-16-2009, 10:25 PM
Agreed with everything Uber said. I would not want to be anywhere else in this bracket or other brackets. Josh and the gang beat UNC 2 years ago. It is possible to do it again.

Played this team. Beat them. Bring it on.

zagsmyboys
03-17-2009, 06:36 AM
I think our bracket is perfect!! If you think about it you know we have the first game against Akron. Next game I perdict will be Gonzaga vs Illinios. Again we are a better all around tem and our defence is second to none. Now we get to North Carolina.....GAME OF THE YEAR!!!!! We beat them once and Josh did a very good job against Tylor the first time. If anything the Zags have gotten smarter and stronger since!! I look forward to this game more than any game played this year!! This is the "YEAR OF THE ZAGS" !!!!!!

krozman
03-17-2009, 07:15 AM
If the bracket were any easier it would be called cupcake only because we avoided most of the obviously bad matchups. From a statistical perspective i'm sure the bracket is just as hard as the rest, but from our perspective, I think we have a legitimate shot at a final 4 here. That being said, getting way ahead of ourselves.

Reborn
03-17-2009, 07:37 AM
It certainly is a tough bracket. But they all are. This is a good bracket for the Zags, and one that has produced a lot of confidence inside ZagNation. Only two more days, and then the fury begins.

Robzagnut
03-17-2009, 07:56 AM
Best bracket for GU in years!

* Play in Portland, them Memphis.
* Best matchup of all the #1 seeds in UNC
* Avoid the bracket with Memphis
* Great first round matchup in Akron (UW has a legitimate beef playing Miss St.)

Hoping to see the same intensity and focus that I saw in the WCC tourney.

bartruff1
03-17-2009, 08:27 AM
Dr. Krause must have made it out...couldn't ask for a better path and it starts in Portland...

webspinnre
03-17-2009, 08:32 AM
Tough bracket? We get a nice location in Portland, and while Akron is a solid team, they don't shoot lights out from 3, which is one of our biggest weaknesses. If/when we beat them, we look at either WKU or Illinois, who are both good teams, but again, don't appear to really hit our weaknesses. If/when we win there, and get to the Sweet 16, there's no such thing as an easy game - they're all tough.

GonzagaDynasty
03-17-2009, 08:35 AM
All I'm worried about is the Akron Zips.... Thats game One, and thats all we have to worry about...

IF we were so lucky to get to play UNC, It would be dog fight.. Our Offense can play with theirs, but our Defense is better than theres.. It would be a dream matchup, IMO.... But Thats not our concern right now.

GoZAGsMang
03-17-2009, 10:16 AM
Our bracket couldnt have been any more Zags favorable.

So relax, one game at a time, get your tartar- we are eating Zips.

GoZAGsMang