PDA

View Full Version : It Does Not Get Any Better Than This!

BobZag
03-15-2009, 02:43 PM
Akron, followed by Illinois/WKU.

The Illini are missing Chester Frazier.

Zag fans, this is as good a path to the Sweet 16 as Gonzaga has ever had. And in Portland!

Love it!

dawgfather11
03-15-2009, 02:50 PM
yup zags got a cake walk to the sweet sixteen illinois wasn't that great with their pg now that hes out i would take WKU over them in a heart beat.

UW getting hosed with opening road agaisnt MSU, horrible matchup for us!

Should be a great weekend in portland will get to watch both GU and UW games at the same location!

MedZag
03-15-2009, 02:50 PM
Feel really great about it. Don't see any real poor matchups or difficult styles of play that could really tussle our feathers. If the Zags play their game, their fate is in their hands.

CDC84
03-15-2009, 02:57 PM
The other great unknown about GU's region is the health of UNC point guard Ty Lawson. If he's not healthy, the Heels are a very different team. A potential 2nd round matchup between UNC and LSU could be interesting.

surfmonkey89
03-15-2009, 02:58 PM
No excuses this year folks.

Buckle up and play the games they're capable of and good things will happen.

zagirl2k
03-15-2009, 03:00 PM
Zags vs. Zips, who says the committee doesn't have a sense of humor.

Still annoyed by the AZ > SMC decision. Wonder if they would have been in if Tenn would have won today.

Wow, Dickie V pushing SMC is better than AZ

Jazzgirl_127
03-15-2009, 03:04 PM
I just mentioned to my husband the other day that I hoped Akron would get to the tourney so I could hopefully watch my cousin play...well, I'll be watching for him, but most importantly GO BULLDOGS!

pdine
03-15-2009, 03:06 PM
A big congrats to getting that seeding, in Portland nonetheless. From a WCC fan perspective though, it can get a lot better than this... that is, if St. Mary's would have also gotten in...

RomanZag
03-15-2009, 03:33 PM
BobZag, it indeed does not get any sweeter! How about avoiding Louisville and Memphis, while receiving the gift of a hampered Ty Lawson! The bottom of the bracket looks awfully light, too. I love Few-versus-Boeheim in the Elite Eight!

gamagin
03-15-2009, 03:45 PM
and I like what I see. Alot.

Go TEAM Zags !

LynetteG
03-15-2009, 03:46 PM
BobZag] I love Few-versus-Boeheim in the Elite Eight!

ME TOO!

Nevtelen
03-15-2009, 03:47 PM
A big congrats to getting that seeding, in Portland nonetheless. From a WCC fan perspective though, it can get a lot better than this... that is, if St. Mary's would have also gotten in...

I agree - leaving them out was a travesty. Big argument about it by the analysts on ESPN. Bilas is either a tool or VEEERRRRYYYY out of touch with the realities of scheduling.

I really like this bracket. I hope the Zags make the most of it.

sullyzag66
03-15-2009, 03:55 PM
Akron, followed by Illinois/WKU.

The Illini are missing Chester Frazier.

Zag fans, this is as good a path to the Sweet 16 as Gonzaga has ever had. And in Portland!

Love it!
And having tickets: Priceless!

GoZAGsMang
03-15-2009, 04:07 PM
It couldnt be any better - no excuses

GoZAGsMang

HOOTER
03-15-2009, 04:11 PM
It's selection Sunday and Zag fans are happy. Imagine that! No traveling all the way across the country to play a double digit seed in their home state. We got a great seed and a great location. I'm actually pleased with the selection committee. Who woulda thunk it? :D

GO ZAGS!!!!

rawkmandale
03-15-2009, 04:12 PM
Can you imagine the environment in MEMPHIS at the Fed Ex Center if Gonzaga is playing North Carolina? Do you think we might have a LOT of fans? If we made the finals, I don't think there is a team in the bottom part of the South bracket that would have fan support in Memphis any better than ours.

johnwzag
03-15-2009, 04:15 PM
I agree - leaving them out was a travesty. Big argument about it by the analysts on ESPN. Bilas is either a tool or VEEERRRRYYYY out of touch with the realities of scheduling.

I really like this bracket. I hope the Zags make the most of it.

I really enjoyed the argument between Dickie V and Jay. I am really suprised by Dickie V. Maybe it is because he is getting older. He has gotten some heart. Most of you won't like this, by I sided with Jay. I think Arizona is the better team. They proved it by beating us too.

lothar98zag
It couldnt be any better - no excuses

GoZAGsMang
No excuses, is right! Let's do this!

TacomaZAG
get the rust out versus Akron (without overlooking them) and then I think we get WKU. I like our chances to get to the Sweet 16, and then we will be rolling. The Sweet 16 game against UNC is a dream matchup.

Can't wait, we got a great draw, especially to be in Portland.

Go ZAGS

kdaleb
03-15-2009, 04:17 PM
Just remember... we own the ACC. And can't remember if anything special ever happened for the Zags in Memphis before...

lothar98zag
03-15-2009, 04:18 PM
Can you imagine the environment in MEMPHIS at the Fed Ex Center if Gonzaga is playing North Carolina? Do you think we might have a LOT of fans? If we made the finals, I don't think there is a team in the bottom part of the South bracket that would have fan support in Memphis any better than ours.
UNC travels VERY well, but IF GU were to play them and the game was close, it's likely the local fans and the fans of the other two teams would pull for the non-#1 team. (Also, having the series w/ Memphis would definitely be a plus w/ the local fans)

lothar98zag
03-15-2009, 04:20 PM
Just remember... we own the ACC. And can't remember if anything special ever happened for the Zags in Memphis before...
GU's 2-0 in NCAA tourney games played in the city of Memphis. But if they want to try to improve that record - first, they'd need to be 2-0 in PDX...

rawkmandale
03-15-2009, 04:25 PM
Yeah, Lothar - the locals in Memphis would very likely be hugely supportive of us. I know - I know - don't overlook the first two games, but hey - it would be awesome to play in Memphis. Same with Tennessee fans that happened to buy tickets for that region.

Reborn
03-15-2009, 04:36 PM
I hated waiting so long to find out the truth. We've all been projecting so much, and the wait was exhausting. My heart was pounding. Selection Sunday is almost worse than a game. The build up to this night was huge.
When the South Region came up, I was wondering if we'd get a 4,5 or 6? When I saw the Portland pod come out I knew we would be a 4 or 5. And when I saw 4 I just screamed I was so excited. Remember when we were thinking about being a 6 seed? And then when I saw Akron, I felt so relaxed and began to breathe easier. I thanked baby Jesus and his mom. And then when the 5 seed poped up, Clemson, we could NOT have gotten a better seed and pod. I am glad because I now believe the Committee pretty much FEELS the way I do about the Zags....they are a very good team. Look at Ken Pomeroy. And look how every team we lost too in our non conference games is in the NCAA tournament. Plus some we beat.

AS BZ said, Frazier,Clemson's point guard, is out and that is huge. They may lose to Western Kentucky. I really did not want to play Florida St. or Purdue. Let the Huskies handle Purdue. I think it's neat that two West Coast teams could match up with two Big Ten teams.

And of all the teams that I felt Gonzaga had a chance of competing with in the Sweet 16 was North Carolilna. Any #1 seed is going to be pretty tough to beat, but I would rather play a team that resembles us physically. Also Gonzaga has played them in recent years and did okay. If we get that far I like playing in Memphis. WE would get mucho fan support there I think.

THANK YOU GOD!!!:D :)

johnwzag
03-15-2009, 04:43 PM
Not jumping the gun, but I am really hoping for a Heytfel vs Hansbrough show again. What a great opportunity for Josh to dominate that guy twice.

LynetteG
03-15-2009, 04:53 PM
Not jumping the gun, but I am really hoping for a Heytfel vs Hansbrough show again. What a great opportunity for Josh to dominate that guy twice.

SAME HERE! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InqJS6ONXPE

zagfan16
03-15-2009, 05:16 PM
I hated waiting so long to find out the truth. We've all been projecting so much, and the wait was exhausting. My heart was pounding. Selection Sunday is almost worse than a game. The build up to this night was huge.
When the South Region came up, I was wondering if we'd get a 4,5 or 6? When I saw the Portland pod come out I knew we would be a 4 or 5. And when I saw 4 I just screamed I was so excited. Remember when we were thinking about being a 6 seed? And then when I saw Akron, I felt so relaxed and began to breathe easier. I thanked baby Jesus and his mom. And then when the 5 seed poped up, Clemson, we could NOT have gotten a better seed and pod. I am glad because I now believe the Committee pretty much FEELS the way I do about the Zags....they are a very good team. Look at Ken Pomeroy. And look how every team we lost too in our non conference games is in the NCAA tournament. Plus some we beat.

AS BZ said, Frazier,Clemson's point guard, is out and that is huge. They may lose to Western Kentucky. I really did not want to play Florida St. or Purdue. Let the Huskies handle Purdue. I think it's neat that two West Coast teams could match up with two Big Ten teams.

And of all the teams that I felt Gonzaga had a chance of competing with in the Sweet 16 was North Carolilna. Any #1 seed is going to be pretty tough to beat, but I would rather play a team that resembles us physically. Also Gonzaga has played them in recent years and did okay. If we get that far I like playing in Memphis. WE would get mucho fan support there I think.

THANK YOU GOD!!!:D :)

It does get better reborn, because Clemson isn't the 5 seed...its Illinois!

BobZag
03-15-2009, 07:00 PM
There are no excuses now. Nada. No Curry, no suspended Josh, nothing. It has been a long, long time since the Zags have had such a draw. GU simply must take advantage, seize this opportunity by the throat and run like hell with it.

Go Zags!

KleShreen
03-15-2009, 07:10 PM
As a Gonzaga and Michigan fan...I can only hope to see a very unpredictable South region final! ;) haha.

ZagsGoZags
03-15-2009, 11:32 PM
Where is that guy that predicted so confidently, almost factually, that we would be flying to the East Coast for the first game? He was so sure, it almost threw me for a loop.

Reborn
03-16-2009, 06:20 AM
It does get better reborn, because Clemson isn't the 5 seed...its Illinois.

Ya got me on that won Zagfan16. I guess my excitement got away from me. Thanks for pointing that out. I knew we were playing Illlinois, but actually before the brackets came up I thought we might get Clemson. They are both great teams, and will be tough.

Thanks. See ya soon.

bballbeachbum
03-16-2009, 06:44 AM
Believe in ourselves...yes we are this good. Thursday at 4:25 we get to express it again vs. Akron.

LET'S ROCK!!!

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!

willandi
03-16-2009, 06:52 AM
BobZag, it indeed does not get any sweeter! How about avoiding Louisville and Memphis, while receiving the gift of a hampered Ty Lawson! The bottom of the bracket looks awfully light, too. I love Few-versus-Boeheim in the Elite Eight!

I think we take them in only 5 OT!!!...or less
Will

brian_sun
03-16-2009, 07:49 AM
I thought UW is the top 4th seed team on the S curve, and GU is 3rd on that S curve. I don't understand how we got the toughest 13th seed among the 4 seed teams and Gonzaga get the easiest. It seems that a 4 seed team to play the SEC champ in the first round is kind of ridiculous. I don't like the matchup with Jarvis Vanardo. We got shafted.

willandi
03-16-2009, 07:52 AM
I thought UW is the top 4th seed team on the S curve, and GU is 3rd on that S curve. I don't understand how we got the toughest 13th seed among the 4 seed teams and Gonzaga get the easiest. It seems that a 4 seed team to play the SEC champ in the first round is kind of ridiculous. I don't like the matchup with Jarvis Vanardo. We got shafted.

WAAAHHHH!!!
But I'll still root for your huskies until we meet and beat them, if you last that long.
Will

zag4ever
03-16-2009, 07:55 AM
Originally Posted by brian_sun View Post

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Wasn't Shaft a Movie & a Song in The Seventies?

edcasey
03-16-2009, 08:00 AM
Brian

could I suggest that the comittee put UW at the 4th 4th seed team thus got the draw of a sneak in league champion

brian_sun
03-16-2009, 08:14 AM
WAAAHHHH!!!
But I'll still root for your huskies until we meet and beat them, if you last that long.
Will

Thank you. I still think we can beat Miss. State, but our 1st round game should not be this hard, based on our seeding. But if we were to meet, don't we have to meet at the championship game? So you think you have a better chance getting over UNC and then possibly Oklahoma followed by maybe Pitt, than us over UConn and Memphis and maybe Louisville? GU has an easier path to the sweet 16, but after that, it's tough. The chance of both of us getting there is probably less than 0.1%. The state would be crazy if we meet in the championship game. I'd love to see it, but I don't think it will happen.

kitzbuel
03-16-2009, 08:27 AM
Gonzaga only has one 1 seed in its path, UW has two. Memphis is better than UCONN.

bullzag23
03-16-2009, 08:41 AM
Gonzaga only has one 1 seed in its path, UW has two. Memphis is better than UCONN.

Well theoretically, if we were to both make the championship game, barring any upsets(there'd have to be for two 4 seeds to make it), both would have to go through two #1 seeds. To get to the final game we'd likely have to go through UNC and Pitt, while UW would have to fight past UCONN and then Louisville. I understand the memphis argument, so considering them as well, I would say UW's overall road is tougher(especially considering the first two rounds).

Reborn
03-16-2009, 11:10 AM
Well, Brian_sun. If Miss St had not won the SEC they would not have made the tournament. They are a very low seed. I think Akron is better than Miss State. Akron is also a conference champion, and a very tough opponent. Give the committee some credit. If you guys are as good as you say, then you should have no problems with Miss State. Illinois and Purdue are pretty even, imo. Both very tough Big Ten teams. So we both have it tough. You won't get any pity here, Brian_sun.

meatwad_zip
03-16-2009, 11:29 AM
I just mentioned to my husband the other day that I hoped Akron would get to the tourney so I could hopefully watch my cousin play...well, I'll be watching for him, but most importantly GO BULLDOGS!

Who is your cousin Jazzgirl?

cjm720
03-16-2009, 11:36 AM

Yes you did. Welcome to the club!

GO ZAGS!!!

Nevtelen
03-16-2009, 12:34 PM

I'm not so sure. Did you actually watch the SEC championship? Miss St is BAD (sorry, Tenn fans, but it's true). That was one crappy game. UDub will smoke them IMO. I actually think Akron is a tougher draw.