PDA

View Full Version : Ot Oyy Tennessee...

upan8th
03-15-2009, 11:16 AM
Watching the Tenn/Miss St game. Can't recall seeing a more physically talented yet basketball IQ challenged team than the Vols. Terrible fouls, bad passes to open spaces, little defensive communication on screens or switching and very little patience in their offensive sets. Yet they've managed a tie at half time. No wonder Bruce Pearl always looks like a heart attack waiting to happen.

mendiant
03-15-2009, 11:48 AM
It will be interesting to see how this will affect our seeding...

MedZag
03-15-2009, 11:57 AM
Joe was just on saying that if the Vols burp up this one to MissSt, St Mary's bubble pops. I think I agree.

gmo
03-15-2009, 11:57 AM
Goooooo Vols!!

gmo
03-15-2009, 11:59 AM
ugh a 3 given up followed by the worst shot i have seen in years... doesn't look good for Tennessee.

RenoZag
03-15-2009, 12:00 PM
Can't recall seeing a more physically talented yet basketball IQ challenged team than the Vols. Terrible fouls, bad passes to open spaces, little defensive communication on screens or switching and very little patience in their offensive sets. Yet they've managed a tie at half time. No wonder Bruce Pearl always looks like a heart attack waiting to happen.

:000tens:

gmo
03-15-2009, 12:05 PM
in crunchtime especially... gotta swallow your whistle on that one. C'mon Volunteers.

gu03alum
03-15-2009, 12:08 PM
wow, foul or travel?

MedZag
03-15-2009, 12:09 PM
Think it was a foul before he took his 3rd step. But eeesh.

gu03alum
03-15-2009, 12:10 PM
how do you get a 5 second call in this situation?

RenoZag
03-15-2009, 12:10 PM
Talk about officials affecting the outcome of a game. . .

gmo
03-15-2009, 12:12 PM
these refs are clueless but are bent on deciding this game with a whistle...

reminds of people you know with the horrible combination of being completely ignorant while being completely opinionated.

TM27
03-15-2009, 12:12 PM
The officials, the players, and the coaches are all competing against each other to determine who is worst at their respective job....I have no idea who is winning this battle....and now it looks like the clock manager wants in on this crapfest

It looks like everyone has money on the other team.

EDIT: The execution in this game is disgusting. Is it possible to take away bids from this conference...give them a -1 bid so no one makes it in this year and they are actually punished for next year?

MedZag
03-15-2009, 12:14 PM
WCC refs = SEC refs? Good lord.

MedZag
03-15-2009, 12:14 PM
The officials, the players, and the coaches are all competing against each other to determine who is worst at their respective job....I have no idea who is winning this battle.

You're telling me. Ugly, ugly, ugly.

mendiant
03-15-2009, 12:15 PM
Who put what in that Gatorade and when did the officials start drinking it as well...

All around weird game.

vandalzag
03-15-2009, 12:16 PM
What in the wide wide world of sports is going on this game. Hard to tell which is worse at the end, team execution or the refs. And throw in the idiot running the clock and you have a trifecta.

gmo
03-15-2009, 12:16 PM
The officials, the players, and the coaches are all competing against each other to determine who is worst at their respective job....I have no idea who is winning this battle.

EDIT: The execution in this game is disgusting. Is it possible to take away bids from this conference...give them a -1 bid so no one makes it in this year and they are actually punished for next year?

great point. Can you imagine people in Vegas right now who had the moneyline on either team?! I hope for their sake they are severely intoxicated by now.

RenoZag
03-15-2009, 12:17 PM
What a teeming pile of errors. . .

MedZag
03-15-2009, 12:18 PM
*pop*

gu03alum
03-15-2009, 12:18 PM
good bye smc's chance at the ncaa tourney

johnwzag
03-15-2009, 12:19 PM
Refs messing up, players messing up, timers messing up.

What a game. Another bubble team is out. Hope we keep our #4 seed.

RenoZag
03-15-2009, 12:19 PM
Tenn player settled for a lousy shot. . .he had time to get closer. . .

Tenn is an NIT team and doesn't deserve to be in the Big Dance.

gmo
03-15-2009, 12:22 PM
totally agree Reno. Of course, they waited a good 1.5 seconds to start the clock on the inbounds so perhaps his mental clock was right on!

Props to whoever pointed out the clock keeper was drinking the same stuff as the refs - completely awful job on that front as well. Unbelievable comedy of errors all the way around in that game, wow.

TM27
03-15-2009, 12:26 PM
The most comical thing about the train wreck we just witnessed is that according to Joey Brackets....Omar Samhan is no longer dancing. What a way to be held out of the dance, if SMC truly becomes the first team out.

75Zag
03-15-2009, 12:26 PM
Wow. Another bubble team will bite the dust as Miss State takes SEC auto bid. Tenn should still get good seed coming out of difficult SEC, but this outcome screws with my hypothetical brackets.

Tenn looked rattled on the inbounds. Very unlike them.

Go Bulldogs! Beat The Next Guys!

johnwzag
03-15-2009, 12:30 PM
Tenn player settled for a lousy shot. . .he had time to get closer. . .

Tenn is an NIT team

They started the clock late again. I was watching it.

bballbeachbum
03-15-2009, 12:33 PM
Props to whoever pointed out the clock keeper was drinking the same stuff as the refs - completely awful job on that front as well. Unbelievable comedy of errors all the way around in that game, wow.

what a bummer for both teams to play under that--whatever that was after the officials drank their koolaid--to decide the SEC championship. sure have to be tough to play through that.

hope it's not SMC's pop we just heard, although it is nice to see a team win their way in, like Miss St. did; not like I root for them, but win and in, and get it done. Good for them.

upan8th
03-15-2009, 01:00 PM
Having had a little experience refereeing, I can tell you that officials HATE reffing the kind of game Miss St/Tenn played today. They hate the verging on out-of-control play, the player's hands flung in the air in disbelief after every call, the bunches of player-control calls that this type of game engenders, and having the coaches always on the verge of a T. Officials in this type of neighborhood streetball affair are NEVER going to look good.

I believe the ref on the five second call against Tenn was subliminally punishing the Vols for subjecting him to all of the above. I saw several calls that looked intentional that weren't called because the game was wheeling on the edge of chaos, and an intentional foul or ejections could have nudged it into the abyss. Ugly, ugly stuff.

I repeat what I said about Vol BBall to open this thread. The prosecution exhibits are many and convincing. Tenn deserves a ten plus seed in the Tourney, w/no possibility of parole.

bballbeachbum
03-15-2009, 02:10 PM
Having had a little experience refereeing, I can tell you that officials HATE reffing the kind of game Miss St/Tenn played today. They hate the verging on out-of-control play, the player's hands flung in the air in disbelief after every call, the bunches of player-control calls that this type of game engenders, and having the coaches always on the verge of a T. Officials in this type of neighborhood streetball affair are NEVER going to look good.

I believe the ref on the five second call against Tenn was subliminally punishing the Vols for subjecting him to all of the above.

Good points all imo. Great to get a refs perspective.

When I watch a player like Ginobli, a great player, flop around trying to trick the refs, then not get a call he should get, I blame him. The refs can't trust him.

That's a different example than the SEC game here, but the subliminal thing makes sense to me in both cases.