PDA

View Full Version : Realistic Team Goal?

Stache
03-14-2009, 11:06 AM
Love confidence, toughness and optimism. Anything can happen, blah, blah,blah... We play one game at a time. We just think about the next opponent....

Realistically, I think the second weekend is a reasonable expectation, and given the last month - elite 8 is a reasonable option.

MDABE80
03-14-2009, 11:58 AM
One overpowering win in the firts round...coupled to the performance the last month AND in the WCC tournament.... will have teams worried about us for a change. They'll have to prepare for a long, good defense team nothing like the Memphis game. This could be the year we get back to the E 8 or further with some luck.

Just A Zag
03-14-2009, 12:01 PM
One game atta time. If we win the first one I think the weight will be lifted and we have a chance to play very well.

BobZag
03-14-2009, 02:25 PM
One game atta time. If we win the first one I think the weight will be lifted and we have a chance to play very well.

Agreed. There may be a mental block re: 1st round. Win it and the dam may break.

Good point, JAZ.

JohnOGU
03-14-2009, 03:52 PM
I dont know if you've taken a look around the nation, but we're playing better basketball than anyone right now. The elite 8 is more than a reasonable expectation in my opinion. Granted, it is difficult, but if we continue to play the way we are, we will be DAMN hard to beat.

brian_sun
03-14-2009, 04:09 PM
I dont know if you've taken a look around the nation, but we're playing better basketball than anyone right now. The elite 8 is more than a reasonable expectation in my opinion. Granted, it is difficult, but if we continue to play the way we are, we will be DAMN hard to beat.

Does anyone include Memphis? because I see one frigging scary team with a 25 game winning streak, including one frigging big one in Spokane.

former1dog
03-14-2009, 06:50 PM
Does anyone include Memphis? because I see one frigging scary team with a 25 game winning streak, including one frigging big one in Spokane.

Agreed, Memphis is playing great and I also think that Louisville has hit its stride.

Gonzaga is in that group of scary good teams peaking at the right time as well.

CB4
03-14-2009, 07:21 PM
We should expect a National Championship and then be satisfied with whatever the team accomplishes since they have obviously had a solid year. And if we don't make the Final Four or win the 'ship then we look to next year. That's my way of thought anyways.

zag944
03-14-2009, 07:32 PM
Final Four or winning it all is certianley a realistic goal. That said, there are about 15 other teams that can say that.

dpouley
03-14-2009, 07:41 PM
Love confidence, toughness and optimism. Anything can happen, blah, blah,blah... We play one game at a time. We just think about the next opponent....

Realistically, I think the second weekend is a reasonable expectation, and given the last month - elite 8 is a reasonable option.

My only disagreement with you is the statement in bold. Over the last month GU has played mediocre to horrible competition. Now, they have KILLED that competition. But it still leaves me a little concerned about another Memphis type performance.

I think that GU has a great shot at the second round (S16), but fi they get hit in the mouth by a tough opponent similar to Memphis...I am not ready to predict a win.

MyZags
03-14-2009, 08:13 PM
Realistic goal is to get out of the group of 64. Then we can continue this discussion.

Overall...I hope to see the boys hit at very least the elite-8. But for goal, I do not think it is prudent to focus beyond the next game. :)

ZagLawGrad
03-14-2009, 08:16 PM

Indeed

brian_sun
03-14-2009, 08:18 PM
Agreed. There may be a mental block re: 1st round. Win it and the dam may break.

Good point, JAZ.

Based on the comments that have been posted here, I think THE only goal is to go further than UW and get that bragging rights within the state. Is that a realistic goal? Very possible, although I think we are both sweet 16 team, anything beyond that is just bonus.

brian_sun
03-14-2009, 08:21 PM
My only disagreement with you is the statement in bold. Over the last month GU has played mediocre to horrible competition. Now, they have KILLED that competition. But it still leaves me a little concerned about another Memphis type performance.

I think that GU has a great shot at the second round (S16), but fi they get hit in the mouth by a tough opponent similar to Memphis...I am not ready to predict a win.

dpouley, I think if I were Mark Few, I'd worry more about the 10 days laid off between the WCC tourney and the REAL tourney. GU was hitting its stride in WCC, with the 10 day off, can they continue that momentum, or would they lay an egg like they sometimes did during the past tourney. I thought SMC was smart scheduling that game on Friday, even though they had a different purpose.

Nevtelen
03-14-2009, 08:47 PM
dpouley, I think if I were Mark Few, I'd worry more about the 10 days laid off between the WCC tourney and the REAL tourney. GU was hitting its stride in WCC, with the 10 day off, can they continue that momentum, or would they lay an egg like they sometimes did during the past tourney. I thought SMC was smart scheduling that game on Friday, even though they had a different purpose.

I actually think it's a better idea to schedule a game between the WCC tourney and the NCAAs rather than between the reg season and the WCC tourney. The zags can come out cold in the first game of the WCC without much consequence. If they team comes out flat in the NCAAs, it's bad.

Reborn
03-14-2009, 08:52 PM
A good goal is to win the first game, and see who we play next. Many fans have already forgotten about the "one game at a time" philosophy. Let's get focused, guys and gals. Go Zags.

ZagsGoZags
03-14-2009, 10:32 PM
There are two ways to look at this thread, I think:

ONE - try to predict what will happen, like a Las Vegas bet for a lot of money. In that case go ahead and pick Elite 8, if that is your realistic prediction, or even higher. Go for the truth.

TWO - speak for the point of view we hope the players will have, which has got to be totally just one game at a time, not looking past anything. TWO also works for easing a fan's pain from the last 6 years or so for expecting too much. I am in this group, I have hoped, and hoped, and believed, and hoped, and predicted, way too high. The last three years have been brutal to me for investing too much hope. If we are one and done this year, I am a ZAG fanatic for sure, and permanent, and I will immediately start focusing on next year being grateful for such a team and coach in my little city. If reality takes me past that, I am thankful, thankful.

FieldHouseFishHouse
03-15-2009, 12:46 AM
There are two ways to look at this thread, I think:

ONE - try to predict what will happen, like a Las Vegas bet for a lot of money. In that case go ahead and pick Elite 8, if that is your realistic prediction, or even higher. Go for the truth.

TWO - speak for the point of view we hope the players will have, which has got to be totally just one game at a time, not looking past anything. TWO also works for easing a fan's pain from the last 6 years or so for expecting too much. I am in this group, I have hoped, and hoped, and believed, and hoped, and predicted, way too high. The last three years have been brutal to me for investing too much hope. If we are one and done this year, I am a ZAG fanatic for sure, and permanent, and I will immediately start focusing on next year being grateful for such a team and coach in my little city. If reality takes me past that, I am thankful, thankful.
A have a good friend (a Gonzaga alum) that used to say, "I love Gonzaga, but I know they are about to disappoint me". Every year I was in school I watched the tourney with him, and every year the Zags took me to the highest peak of expectation, followed by a swift kick in the ass. Wyoming, Arizona, Nevada, Texas Tech, UCLA, Indiana, Davidson. These names come to mind more readily than Cincinnati, Valpo, Xavier, Indiana (again). Call me an ungrateful fan, but the losses listed above stand out compared even against the usual tournament drama, they were extremely tough to stomach. Don't get me wrong, I was extremely proud of them after taking 1 seed Arizona to double OT, but I had mild PTSD for 96 hours after that game. I can't see the letters U, C, L and A in a row without breathing rapidly.
Of the seven losses listed, 4 have come while wearing white. In an event where seeding is such a big deal, the Zags performance almost never matches up with their seed. As a result, GU has a split reputation as both a David and a Goliath in the tournament.
All of this adds up to a lot of anxiety around tournament time. Right now, i will be satisfied with a first round win. We have been bounced twice and tasting victory again would get my happiness level back to baseline. That being said, sweet 16 would fulfill my more casual pre-season expectations. THAT being said, I think this team starts a whole new era of success (nationwide respect, recruiting success, coverage, more winning, more benefits to the university) as soon as they make another deep tournament run. Few has coached NBA players, had 30 win seasons (I think), won conference titles and NCAA tournament games, but has never taken the team to the round of 8 as head coach. I think it is important for him to hit this milestone and its important for his program to build its historical tournament resume and lock in its "elite" status in college basketball.
All I really want is one win, but there is so much the Zags could achieve that I fear they are about to disappoint me.

DixieZag
03-15-2009, 04:47 AM
I am with the group concerned about the layoff, they haven't had one this long all season and we don't know whether the momentom and great play can be found again coming into the tourney. So, the remedy for that is to concentrate with all their heart and toughness on defense and worry exclusively about the team on the court with them, from the first game and hopefully a long way beyond. Rust impacts offense, the defense is always there provided the toughness is there and we have both this year, as opposed to other years. So, I look for some rust in the first game, with our defense saving us, and the offense starting to click in the second half of the first game and hopefully carrying us on to the second and beyond.

seasontixholder
03-15-2009, 07:35 AM
The bugaboo of this team has been its effort. Mark Few on more than one occasion has noted that the nature of the key players is a low-key one. "Cool", not "hot". They tend not to show their emotions, and their approach and play has been simply business-like on the whole. Just this week he said that he could tell that the Memphis game was a problem, just by observing the mood in the locker room beforehand.

Now, because they are so talented, that still has resulted in a very high level of play. Also, like in Vegas, they have had their inspired moments. But my confidence level that they will be jazzed up like they were in Vegas is not a strong one. It goes against their natures (Goodson excepted).

Adrenaline is a requirement for the post-season. It's hard to generate when so many guys are so low-key. Mark recognizes it better than anybody.

kylasdad
03-15-2009, 12:25 PM
Long layoffs always make me nervous but, I think long layoffs hurt strong offenses more than defenses. I think we have a great offense AND a great defense. Hopefully if we are rusty, the defense can keep us in the game until the O starts clicking.

zag944
03-15-2009, 12:34 PM
funny thing is that right now Id be horribly disappointed with any loss.

It either sucks because youve underachieved if you lose early, or because you were that much closer if you lose later on.

March always has me in a mess. too much coffee in the morning, too much beer and deep fried foods at night, too much facial hair stubble on my face, too much hair pulled out of my head, too many crumpled up brackets on my floor. I love it.

Its probably just best for me in general if I watch the games without thinking about goals. Ill think about the global affects on the program in a month or two.

MedZag
03-15-2009, 12:49 PM
Their goal should simply be to utterly destroy any team in front of them. Keep your focus on intensity, execution, hustle, and defense and the rest of it takes care of itself. Singular focus reaps great rewards.

zagnut52
03-15-2009, 01:19 PM
I SERIOUSLY hope we can make it past round # 2. Lets give it a go, but take it one game at a time!:D

GU69
03-15-2009, 01:28 PM
I like these goals from one of the posts on the banquet report:

1. Have fun
2. Do your best
3. Kick some butt

Winning might happen, but it is not one of those goals.

ZagsGoZags
03-23-2009, 12:13 AM
So now, here we are in the Sweet Sixteen and all the hope I had dared has been exceeded. Even if we lose to UNC it will be much, much better for our recruiting for the next couple of years anyway. If we beat UNC I will be for the rest of the dance in the same mood I was between 3 seconds before the end of the WKU game and the end of the game.
Wildly believing, with no concern for getting my emotions hurt.

GUZag08
03-23-2009, 12:28 AM
guys I had not seen Gonzaga win a tournament game since I became a Zag, (I'm a freshman). I kept saying I just wanted to make it to the second weekend, something with a name! (Sweet 16). My goal has been reached, now lets stretch it out. Lets play off the high Meech Goodson gave us and give UNC one heck of a game.