PDA

View Full Version : Bracketology: 03/13/09

Zag4Hire
03-13-2009, 08:14 AM
Still the steady hand as the #4 Seed in Boise but it appears the opponent has changed to North Dakota State. Don't know much but I believe this team is a 3pt shooting team. Would be nice to dominate at least one opponent on the glass in the NCAA tourney although the whole 'long shot equals long rebound' principle would probably come into play. Against the Fighting Sioux, just pound it inside to Josh and I am sure Micah and Austin would prevent serious matchup problems. Actually, the whole team would, at least physically. Also I hope this pod comes to fruition because I would really like our chances of advancing to the Sweet 16 and I would want Louisville over any of the other 1 seeds. Also how fitting would it be to play Memphis, the thorn in the side of this program for the past handful of years, to advance to the Final Four, barring any upsets.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

Nevtelen
03-13-2009, 08:29 AM
I posted a thread about ND St a while back when they won their conference. They're one of the top 3-pt shooting teams in the country (I think #3). IMO it's a pretty bad draw for this Zag team if it actually happens. They're also full of seniors and have a great scorer as their lead guard.

Zag4Hire
03-13-2009, 08:38 AM
I posted a thread about ND St a while back when they won their conference. They're one of the top 3-pt shooting teams in the country (I think #3). IMO it's a pretty bad draw for this Zag team if it actually happens. They're also full of seniors and have a great scorer as their lead guard.

I thought somebody posted something regarding ND State. Thank you for the update.

Looking at their stats, they are a great fundamental team being ranked 16th in Effective FG%, 14th in Turnover%, 12th in 3pt FG%, and 31st in FGA. But the glaring stat: they are 115th in Average Height while Gonzaga is 7th. One might say, 'Well look at GU having rebounding issues and they are ranked 7th.' I like our chances to bang in down low and move the ball around. The Davidson deal was not a fluke last year as we ran into a buzzsaw that was Steph Curry and yet, could've easily won. Out of the 13 seeds, I would want ND State. Definitely not WKU and I think Clev State and American could prove frustrating.

75Zag
03-13-2009, 08:50 AM
My tea-leaves have revealed that GU will be a 5 in Portland.

Go Bulldogs! Beat The Next Guys!

BobZag
03-13-2009, 08:56 AM
Look across the bracket to #4 UCLA and their opponents. I'd love those pairings.

jim77
03-13-2009, 09:06 AM
UND=Fighting Sioux NDSU=Bison Just wanted to clarify that.

KOzag08
03-13-2009, 09:11 AM
Look across the bracket to #4 UCLA and their opponents. I'd love those pairings.

They have to play UNC in the Sweet 16. UNC will beat them by 25, unless Purdue beats them first.

zagsfan21
03-13-2009, 09:14 AM
The closer we get to selection Sunday, the more I believe GU will get a 5 seed. They always get underseeded for one reason or another. 2002 is a prime example (followed by them underperforming horrendously against Wyoming, shooting-wise).

jim77
03-13-2009, 09:19 AM
I think we're getting a 4

GUZagDenver
03-13-2009, 09:49 AM
You'd like to think that against a team like this we could play a tough man-to-man and take away their 3 point shooting. I know we don't do it very often, but hopefully if we were getting burned on 3's we could go to a man and our athletic ability would over match them.

I have also heard a lot of people mentioning these guys as a team who could really upset somebody in the tournament. They have had a great year and I believe they even won at wisconsin last year as a D2 team.

former1dog
03-13-2009, 10:00 AM
The closer we get to selection Sunday, the more I believe GU will get a 5 seed. They always get underseeded for one reason or another. 2002 is a prime example (followed by them underperforming horrendously against Wyoming, shooting-wise).

IMO - Its been quite a few years since we've been "under" seeded. NOW, the fairness of match ups is another question all together... See Davidson on their "homecourt" as exhibit A from last year.

edcasey
03-13-2009, 10:08 AM
after watching that team I would take them and feel comfortable in our abilities to get a W.

They tended to be a perimeter option team for their 3 point shooters. This matches up very well with our switching man to man defense. Without the other team having a "speed burner driving type" guard, we can still protect Josh in the paint with this type of perimeter defense. Switching out on lateral screens will create some serious views of the basket for them. In addition, they dont have the inside presence to create foul trouble issues.

I saw no guard athletically who would create issues for anyone of permiter defenders to include Austin and Micah.

But then again, at this stage I say bring them on, one game at a time and a win is a win is a win.........can we start tomorrow?

zagsfan21
03-13-2009, 10:19 AM
I suppose the seed line itself has not been the problem, so much as they tend to end up at the lowest 3 seed or the lowest 6 seed, which generally ends up being a worse matchup than if they had gotten a seed two spots worse. And when I say underseeded, I mean they get a 5 instead of a 4, not a 2-3 slot drop. In 06, they should have been a 2, in 07, probably a 9 (not that it would have mattered), and if you look at 05, they had a good argument for a 2 instead of a 3.

lothar98zag
03-13-2009, 10:34 AM
http://bracketproject.50webs.com/matrix.htm

average = top #5 seed

mez124
03-13-2009, 11:46 AM
bring on the #5 ... i like more motivation

gozagswoohoo
03-13-2009, 11:59 AM
Where do you guys think Mizzou will end up? (And remember, I'm from Missouri and I HATE Mizzou. They are my UW).

My friend and I have been arguing about who is better, the zags or Mizzou, for months now.

He thinks they can get a 2 seed. I said there is no way they get better than a 3, and as of right now, should be a 4. But here is my question....now that Kansas and Oklahoma have been knocked out of the Big 12 tourney, the TOUGHEST team they'd have to beat to win the Big 12 is an overrated Texas team. He thinks the 'prestige' of winning the Big 12 gets them a 2 seed, no matter who they beat to do it. But I told him that Kansas and OU losing early hurts Mizzou's shot at the 2.

Thoughts?

zagorama
03-13-2009, 12:02 PM
Actually it's the NDSU Bison (I grew up in Grand Forks, home of the UND Fighting Sioux)

And I've been to an NDSU game....

....well actually it was a football game. :) At halftime they had a cow chip throwing contest. If they shoot 3 pointers as well as they toss cow chips we might be in trouble.

Pleasant Peninsula
03-13-2009, 12:12 PM
Where do you guys think Mizzou will end up? (And remember, I'm from Missouri and I HATE Mizzou. They are my UW).

My friend and I have been arguing about who is better, the zags or Mizzou, for months now.

He thinks they can get a 2 seed. I said there is no way they get better than a 3, and as of right now, should be a 4. But here is my question....now that Kansas and Oklahoma have been knocked out of the Big 12 tourney, the TOUGHEST team they'd have to beat to win the Big 12 is an overrated Texas team. He thinks the 'prestige' of winning the Big 12 gets them a 2 seed, no matter who they beat to do it. But I told him that Kansas and OU losing early hurts Mizzou's shot at the 2.

Thoughts?

I don't think they could possibly get a 2. They are the favorites now for the Big 12 tourney now, and winning it might get them up to a 3. Even that is iffy, though IMO. They aren't going to jump either Oklahoma or Kansas, I don't think. And though they'll get a bump for winning the tournament, it won't be as significant as it might have been because they won't have to beat OU or KU in the process.

I think your friend is wearing some black and yellow tinted glasses.

Nevtelen
03-13-2009, 01:58 PM
You'd like to think that against a team like this we could play a tough man-to-man and take away their 3 point shooting. I know we don't do it very often, but hopefully if we were getting burned on 3's we could go to a man and our athletic ability would over match them.

I have also heard a lot of people mentioning these guys as a team who could really upset somebody in the tournament. They have had a great year and I believe they even won at wisconsin last year as a D2 team.

And they also beat Marquette @ home a couple of years ago while a transitional D-I team. With many of these same players. I would take Cleveland St or American over NDSU (but not WKU - ouch. If the Toppers are a 13, I don't envy the 4 seed who gets them. That said, it'll probably be us...)

bigjeep
03-13-2009, 02:10 PM
And they also beat Marquette @ home a couple of years ago while a transitional D-I team. With many of these same players. I would take Cleveland St or American over NDSU (but not WKU - ouch. If the Toppers are a 13, I don't envy the 4 seed who gets them. That said, it'll probably be us...)

Peace be with you guys and congrats on another fine Zag season...

cbs sports has the Tops as a 12 and you guys at 5...I`m thinking they read my mind...

Best of luck this post season and know the guys in Hilltopper land send much respect...

roxdoc
03-13-2009, 08:51 PM
I can't believe people in this thread being eager to play one of the hotest 3-pt shooting teams. This has been one of the worst matchups for us for years because our system consistently allows "career" 3-pt shooting nights for a variety of people, mostly that you will never hear of again.

kitzbuel
03-14-2009, 06:26 AM

Thoughts?

I don't think getting Baylor in the Championship game helps their chances at all. They are now in the position of 'they better win'.

SMC is rooting against Baylor like big dogs.