What's up with the uniform basketball floor design at the regional sites??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CDC84
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

What's up with the uniform basketball floor design at the regional sites??

The NCAA has apparently stipulated that all four basketball floors at the regional sites must have the same design and colors. I don't know if the NCAA is paying for it or not.

It's kind of stupid if you ask me....a waste of money. Personally, I like each floor to have its own personality.

Anybody know why they are doing this? They didn't do it for any of the 1st/2nd round courts.
  • pdine
    Bulldog Fan
    • Feb 2007

yeah, no need for them to all look the same. i'm just glad i don't have to watch any more games this year on the spokane arena court with that distracting, obnoxious color scheme.

Comment

• CDC84
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2007

re

yeah, no need for them to all look the same. i'm just glad i don't have to watch any more games this year on the spokane arena court with that distracting, obnoxious color scheme.
      Just be thankful pdine that they didn't choose Boise State as a site. Taco Bell Arena's floor is beyond distracting...it's obnoxious.

Comment

• mdZag23
        Kennel Club Material
        • Feb 2007

and the EWE....

With the W that is larger than the court itself!

Comment

• RenoZag
          Super Moderator
          • Feb 2007

When I went to ARCO a few years ago, all of the "normal" signage was draped with back curtains and the only things visible either had an NCAA logo or it was the scoreboard. . .did they do the same in Spokane ?
          The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• BoltZag
            Kennel Club Material
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
            Anybody know why they are doing this? They didn't do it for any of the 1st/2nd round courts.
            Actually, they did it at a number of sites, including Sacramento. Any arena with an NBA logo or promo material is covered up (i.e. Sacramento Kings) and any arena with an NCAA logo was allowed to remain (i.e. Wake Forest Demon Deacons).

I'm sure the NCAA wastes money on things more egregious than a giant blue sticker with four white letters in the middle.

Comment

• CDC84
              Super Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Re:

Actually, they did it at a number of sites, including Sacramento. Any arena with an NBA logo or promo material is covered up (i.e. Sacramento Kings) and any arena with an NCAA logo was allowed to remain (i.e. Wake Forest Demon Deacons).
              They may have covered up the logos, but they still used the same floor in Sacramento that the Kings play on.

The floors at the 4 regional sites are brand new floors. The floor at East Rutherford tonight is not the floor the Nets play on. These suckers were built just for the regionals. They're all identical. They have the same basic color scheme, the same font for the lettering that's used to identify the city and venue on the baselines, etc.

Comment

• NJZag
                Professional Zag Fan
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
                The NCAA has apparently stipulated that all four basketball floors at the regional sites must have the same design and colors. I don't know if the NCAA is paying for it or not.

It's kind of stupid if you ask me....a waste of money. Personally, I like each floor to have its own personality.

CDC: I can't speak for the other regional sites, but out here in NJ they spent Thursday installing a special floor at Continental Airlines Arena for last night's games. Normally, CAA acts as the home court for the Nets and Seton Hall University.

This year, the official host for the East regionals is Rutgers, which has its own home court at the RAC in Piscataway.

So I thought the floor might have something to do with that. At last night's games, the big red "R" for host Rutgers / Scarlet Knights was evident, with NCAA logos dominating otherwise.

Floor was not brought over from the RAC in Piscataway, because the mascot design and end-court letterings would have been on it and not just the big "R" -- plus it did look brand new.

Best guess is that the NCAA decided to invest in flooring for the final rounds of play, and will trot it out in future regionals, adapting easily-changed host school insignia. Otherwise, it's a chunk of cost for the host schools to be biting off, if they just made it a stipulation of qualifying to be a host. As for a reason why? Brand-name investment in "NCAA"?

Comment

Working...
                X