PDA

View Full Version : Very little "Scout" in Scout.com

Kiddwell
03-12-2009, 03:08 PM
How is it that Scout.com still doesn't know about Zag recruits Elias Harris (PF), Kelly Olynyk (SF), Bol Kong (SF), and Manny Arop (SF/SG)? They only mention Sam Dower (C).

Please don't tell Kiddwell that "the Scouts" are a bunch of University of Seattle Wiener Dogs! (Not to be confused with the wholesome folks at Seattle University.)

To Scout's credit, they are finally showing that Brock Osweiler opted out of GU basketball for ASU football...

Fox Sports Northwest's college reporters aren't up-to-date on the GU recruits either.

Kiddwell is in a snit. Kiddwell is blowing off nervous energy.

Is it Selection Sunday yet?

:[

justinwalshBIL
03-13-2009, 02:23 AM
You have to remember these sites, Rivals, Scout, even ESPN's rankings and scouting publication...they invariably suck. They don't REALLY watch all the players. They watch a few of the top, subsidize the midmajor players to regional writers with no real experience in basketball, so their grading is shoddy at best, plus a good number of these guys don't have any relationships with the players so they don't know what schools are looking at him realistically. Don't worry about scout or rivals, they are PAYSITES that base their rankings of of MARKETABILITY and making money. I can go on and on and give you examples but I'll assume you aren't a fool. Just know these rankings are useless, as are the updates.

CDC84
03-13-2009, 08:02 AM
I would be willing to bet that scout.com lead scout Dave Telep has never seen Kong, Arop, Harris or Olynyk even play. He's probably seen Dower play at some point. Don't know when. It's obvious that Dower has improved significantly over the course of the last year.

You can't trust the recruiting sites to give you an accurate evaluation of foreign kids because American scouts just don't see them enough, if at all. They rarely play in AAU events here in the States. Arop's ranking (#80) at rivals.com was the result of Jerry Meyer seeing him play in just one tournament in Oregon. I don't think he's seen him play since.

Kiddwell
03-13-2009, 09:21 AM
Two things Kiddwell finds really irritating about Scout: (1) the staff doesn't seem to be doing its "scouting" job; (2) how tough is it to list the kids who've signed their LOI's (letters of intent)?

Signed 'em! Not verbaled! Signed, signed!

Kiddwell needs a warm cookie and some cold milk...

:[

KOzag08
03-13-2009, 09:26 AM
AND, as of yesterday, Scout still had us as a 5 seed ...

ZagNative
03-13-2009, 09:50 AM
I don't understand what's happened to Scout. IMO, they've just gotten to be really poor in their coverage. I subscribe to both Scout (UCLA site) and Rivals because I'm a recruiting junkie, but it's harder and harder to justify the Scout subscription. UCLA's site does have stuff not directly accessible through the GUNation site.

As recently as early January, they didn't even have a profile of Aaron Bright up, and Hicks gave his performance at the MaxPreps tourney at Torrey Pines, where he was MVP, tepid praise in a one-sentence comment in the context of a report on the tourney.

From my January 5, 2009 post about Bright's MVP performance (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=331265#post331265) at Torrey Pines:

Scout's Greg Hicks isn't sold yet (http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/825814.html), per his comments on his blog about the MaxPreps tournament:

Aaron Bright, 5-10 PG Bellevue (Wash.) High. Small point guard with a nice stroke and range on his shot. Fairly good quickness and passing ability. Will likely get looks at mid major level.

Scout doesn't even have a player profile up about Aaron yet, which is irritating and happens too frequently to justify a Scout subscription for all but the morbidly addicted Zag fan (ZagNative raises hand). (Still no Manny profile, and Brock Osweiler still shown as an '09 commit.)

Chris Monter, over on Dawgman (http://washington.scout.com/2/810442.html)had a post on the best players in Washington in mid-November and included Bright among the top five 2010 guys, along with Josh Smith, Simi Fajemisin (Lynnwood), Joe Harris (Chelan), and Dominic Ballard (O’Dea). He uses words like "solid in every aspect, great leadership, good floor vision, deadly jumper, unlimited range.... quickness and ball-handling skills allow him to keep defenses on their toes, dribble penetrates when the opportunity presents itself."

A few weeks after Hicks gave Bright a mid-major stamp, Scout puts up an intro article that indicated a number of big schools are on his list.

I think the profile on Joe Harris on Scout just went up in the last week or so, because I know I've looked and not seen it previously. Even so, they give him a lukewarm one star. No mention of Gonzaga being interested.

It's pretty obvious you're in trouble if you rely solely on one source of information. My method is to use Rivals, Scout, and ESPN as "seeds" but then google local media for more ample and current information.