PDA

View Full Version : If I were a professional college basketball analyst....

CDC84
03-12-2009, 12:32 PM
This would be my take on the Zags:

"If Gonzaga continues to play like they did in the WCC tournament in terms of toughness, effort, and defensive intensity, they have a very good chance to go far in the NCAA tournament."

Is it really too much to ask of an analyst to say something like this? I know it's a diplomatic take, but it's an honest one.

There are too many writers and pundits who are operating at the extremes. They either feel that the Zags aren't that good, or that they're final 4 all the way. It might be best to start in the middle somewhere. There are enough flaws to temper expectations, but enough talent to suggest that a serious run could take place.

hockeyzag
03-12-2009, 12:54 PM
I for one think you should be. :D

Salsageek
03-12-2009, 01:00 PM
Maybe their thinking is that by picking either ends of the spectrum they would be able to say "Hey look at me! I told you so. I predicted this long before anyone else."

MotoZag
03-12-2009, 01:00 PM
Who cares what analysts think about our guys, it just adds fuel to the fire, and it's been a pretty cold winter.

UberZagFan
03-12-2009, 01:08 PM
If I were a professional college basketball analyst....

Uber always assumed CDC was a professional college basketball analyst

But to answer your question why not? Because that reasoned, rational ananlysis does not spark debate, does not rile anyone up, and most importantly, doesn't sell newspapers or get ratings. But Uber suspects that CDC already knew that.

jim77
03-12-2009, 03:41 PM
Maybe their having flashbacks of the Memphis game....when we looked totally overmatched. We looked as bad as any Zag team in the last 10 years. Bad enough for the coach to bench 3 starters. Too bad they don't rememeber the furious rush that Meech and Co. displayed. I think Memphis is a threat to win it all and the Zags are better than they were when the game was played in Jan.

surfmonkey89
03-12-2009, 03:45 PM
I would also add that Memphis, while already known to be good, came out that day and looked absolutely amazing. Their performance surprised a lot of people, even those who thought they were good to begin with.

Much like our performance last weekend.

Take it one game at a time, get to the Sweet 16 and see what happens.

surfmonkey89
03-12-2009, 03:49 PM
I forgot to mention something in my trip report, but it probably makes as much sense in this thread.

As impressed as I was with our performance over the weekend, I was even more impressed at what I didn't see.

For years and years this team has been known to 1) play down to the level of its competition and 2) get a lead and let teams get back in it, pulling it out in the last minutes.

I saw none of that this weekend. They came out fast, played hard, got a lead and just put their foot down on the throat of the competition.

I'm really trying to not let my emotions get the better of me, but the whole team just acted differently. I don't think I've seen a team this focused since the original run.

I don't know what happened, but I hope it continues.

Angelo Roncalli
03-12-2009, 03:59 PM
I forgot to mention something in my trip report, but it probably makes as much sense in this thread.

As impressed as I was with our performance over the weekend, I was even more impressed at what I didn't see.

For years and years this team has been known to 1) play down to the level of its competition and 2) get a lead and let teams get back in it, pulling it out in the last minutes.

I saw none of that this weekend. They came out fast, played hard, got a lead and just put their foot down on the throat of the competition.

I'm really trying to not let my emotions get the better of me, but the whole team just acted differently. I don't think I've seen a team this focused since the original run.

I don't know what happened, but I hope it continues.

Good observation, SM.

My take was GU punched Santa Clara in the mouth early in the first half when Downs drained a long three to break a tie...and then the Zags kept punching Santa Clara in the mouth the rest of the game. The next night, GU punched SMC in the mouth at the very beginning of game (after Omar slapped the Gaels in the face) when GU ran out to a 8-0 lead, and once again kept punching for the rest of that game.

BobZag
03-12-2009, 04:18 PM
Uber always assumed CDC was a professional college basketball analyst

But to answer your question why not? Because that reasoned, rational ananlysis does not spark debate, does not rile anyone up, and most importantly, doesn't sell newspapers or get ratings. But Uber suspects that CDC already knew that.

CDC would have to take a pay cut.

snebzag
03-12-2009, 07:06 PM
Abosuletly None of the Network/Professional Analyst focus soley on the Zags, so it is always a swag, blink or a nod of opinion. A generalization. One bad game blown out of porportion.

What CDC is, is a professional Gonzaga Analyst. So his opinion in my mind is more accurate and important than what I hear on TV or Radio. Remember ESPN and SMC/Patty Cakes hype. None of those guys spend enough time on any team to be cosidered an expert. I read Gonzaga experts opinions about 10 times a day on this board. Good enough for me.

lothar98zag
03-13-2009, 08:30 AM
Abosuletly None of the Network/Professional Analyst focus soley on the Zags, so it is always a swag, blink or a nod of opinion. A generalization. One bad game blown out of porportion.

What CDC is, is a professional Gonzaga Analyst. So his opinion in my mind is more accurate and important than what I hear on TV or Radio. Remember ESPN and SMC/Patty Cakes hype. None of those guys spend enough time on any team to be cosidered an expert. I read Gonzaga experts opinions about 10 times a day on this board. Good enough for me.
well put.

VinnyZag
03-13-2009, 08:37 AM
Because that reasoned, rational ananlysis does not spark debate, does not rile anyone up, and most importantly, doesn't sell newspapers or get ratings.

Nothing seems to sell newspapers these days. Trust me, I know.

MDABE80
03-13-2009, 10:35 AM
Those 2 games in Las Vegas were so convincing, it was more like the team came out, went to work, dismantled the opponents, and just moved on without a thought. It seemed like it didn't matter what team was being played. The kids just did the business until the final buzzer. Very cool, very strong, very businesslike. It kinda like the other team was just incidental to the outcome or how the games were played. Just calm, direct focus. I liked that.

UberZagFan
03-13-2009, 11:02 AM
Nothing seems to sell newspapers these days. Trust me, I know.

True.