PDA

View Full Version : Mark Few on the Scott Van Pelt Show

BroncoZAG615
03-12-2009, 11:25 AM
In about 12 minutes (12:40 PST) on ESPN Radio

ZagNative
03-12-2009, 11:37 AM
Listening on line here. (http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/show?showId=scottvanpeltshow) Just announced Few is coming up next.

Angelo Roncalli
03-12-2009, 11:48 AM
Few's comments:

1. Making shots was a key to the two wins at the WCC tournament.
2. Expected both WCC tournament games to be grinders, Zag defense prevented that and the Zags were able to get up and down.
3. Memphis was a thumping on a national stage. Factors, Memphis is a very good basketball team, should be a #1 seed. GU had come off 3 high emotional games (SMC, USD and UP). Only had time for a walk through after Portland before Memphis, could tell in locker room that team wasn't fired up enough to take on Memphis.
4. SMC, feel like they're good enough to be in the tournament and win a game, but their pre-season scheduling has hurt them.
5. Speculation about jobs next year, Pac-10 jobs that might be attractive: "I don't want it to distract our guys at all." Try to everything possible now to keep the team from being distracted. Few just blocks it out and tries not to think about it.

Scott: GU has all the makings of a team that could make a two, maybe three, weekend run in the NCAA tournament.

zagsfan21
03-12-2009, 11:50 AM
I felt a little sick when he didn't flat out shoot down the talk about other coaching jobs like he has in the past.

JohnOGU
03-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Basically everything that was said on Doug Gottlieb's radio show, with the exception of how hard it is dragging kids around in Vegas. I hate hearing about the ideas of Few going to other places. He's the perfect fit for Gonzaga. Seeing someone else in that seat would just be too weird.

RenoZag
03-12-2009, 12:05 PM
I hope Few stays, but if he opts for elsewhere, does he take some his current coaching crew with him ?

Side note: When Ray G. came to town, many on this board thought he filled a missing ingredient in re: a defensive tactician. I wonder if he'll get another shot at a head coaching gig in the off season ?

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-12-2009, 12:48 PM
I felt a little sick when he didn't flat out shoot down the talk about other coaching jobs like he has in the past.

Me too. But the call of the question seemed to address more the possible distraction that the all 'Few-to-Arizona' or 'Few-to-Oregon' can have on him and the team rather than whether he was truly interested in any of those jobs. But you're right; he didn't give his well-practiced "don't mess with happy" answer.

cjm720
03-12-2009, 01:09 PM
3. Memphis was a thumping on a national stage. Factors, Memphis is a very good basketball team, should be a #1 seed. GU had come off 3 high emotional games (SMC, USD and UP). Only had time for a walk through after Portland before Memphis, could tell in locker room that team wasn't fired up enough to take on Memphis.

Re: "not being fired up enough"

I wonder if this observation was gleaned with hindsight or if he tried to rally the troops in the locker room and it didn't work. Let's hope it's a learning experience for all.

GO ZAGS!!

seasontixholder
03-12-2009, 02:16 PM

The risk of his leaving has increased substantially.

It is logical to assume that, should he leave to a place that could lure him, the staff would be cratered. Would it not?

kylasdad
03-12-2009, 07:58 PM
seasontixholder said:

The risk of his leaving has increased substantially

Really? What has caused the risk to increase at all? Not following.

El Voce
03-12-2009, 09:27 PM
I hope Few stays, but if he opts for elsewhere, does he take some his current coaching crew with him ?

Side note: When Ray G. came to town, many on this board thought he filled a missing ingredient in re: a defensive tactician. I wonder if he'll get another shot at a head coaching gig in the off season ?

I'm pretty sure that it's in Leon Rice's contract that he would become the head coach if Mark Few leaves. I obviously hope Few stays, but the program would be in very good hands if Rice took over.

I remember the year it really looked grim for the program: Few was interviewed and offered the UW job, Rice was interviewing at Montana, and Grier was interviewing at Boise State. That all worked out real well for us in the end.

Pleasant Peninsula
03-13-2009, 07:48 AM
Boise State should have hired Grier.

Zag 77
03-13-2009, 08:33 AM
I think you guys are reading way too much into the radio thing. Its the same stuff every year for about 9 years now.

zagsfanforlife
03-13-2009, 08:56 AM
I had a dream last night that I was playing ball at the gym, and at the same time watching espnnews. On tv the head story was Mark Few abruptly leaves Gonzaga before its first tournament game.His replacement was a short gray haired man from Europe. Few did not leave for Oregon, did not leave for Arizona, he just left without saying anything to anyone... strange... maybe I should switch pillows?

seasontixholder
03-13-2009, 10:06 AM
Its the same stuff every year for about 9 years now.

Identical? No. There are a lot of considerations, naturally, but several this year are markedly different. Gonzaga has its work cut out.

lothar98zag
03-13-2009, 10:28 AM
I think Few keeps that's option open "just enough" when he speaks in public in order to make sure that GU continues to show him that he's "wanted and loved", so to speak. I think Few is always looking to improve every year and if he thinks that GU is willing to sit back, relax, and not work at things like he wants to, then maybe it would be time for him to look other places. And if he said, "I'm not leaving GU ever" it's possible that GU could respond negatively and not support Few and the team in the way it has up to now.

Look at it this way, if I told my boss that I'd be working there for 30 more years and there is no need to worry about me taking another job, do you think they'd give me a raise as often as they do now? Do you think they'd worry about my job satisfaction as much as they do now? Now maybe I am going to stay at this job until I retire, but I'm not telling that to my boss. I want all my options open, just in case and I think Few is the same way...

zagsfan21
03-13-2009, 10:35 AM
I totally agree with your logic. It's definitely a smart move to keep from getting pigeonholed in his current job. What he said just seemed to have a tone different from comments he's made in the past. Personally, I don't see Arizona as a job that should be able to lure him away. Yes, it's in a power conference, but I would want the position to simmer for a while befoer going there. That way, you don't immediately come in under the pressure to live up to the Lute Olsen standard. It's partly what happened to Kevin O'Neill.

UberZagFan
03-13-2009, 11:15 AM
Identical? No. There are a lot of considerations, naturally, but several this year are markedly different. Gonzaga has its work cut out.

Really? Like what?

People read way way too much into every word Few says when asked about other jobs. No matter what his answer would have been people on here would have been over-analyzing it. Hey, did you hear Few say that "In no terms, would I ever leave GU for another coaching position" Don't you know that he's only saying that because it's tourney time and he wants to keep his team focused? Everyone knows that he's leaving for AZ! Or else he wouldn't have been so direct. It's a ploy. We all know it. Jeesh, enough already.

TexasZagFan
03-13-2009, 11:15 AM
I had a dream last night that I was playing ball at the gym, and at the same time watching espnnews. On tv the head story was Mark Few abruptly leaves Gonzaga before its first tournament game.His replacement was a short gray haired man from Europe. Few did not leave for Oregon, did not leave for Arizona, he just left without saying anything to anyone... strange... maybe I should switch pillows?

PUT DOWN THE DRUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lmao:

UberZagFan
03-13-2009, 11:17 AM
Look at it this way, if I told my boss that I'd be working there for 30 more years and there is no need to worry about me taking another job, do you think they'd give me a raise as often as they do now? Do you think they'd worry about my job satisfaction as much as they do now? Now maybe I am going to stay at this job until I retire, but I'm not telling that to my boss. I want all my options open, just in case and I think Few is the same way...

What???? Lothar's leaving his job? Say it ain't so! Oh no, what are we all going to do? Will you still be able to post in the Foo? Please please say yes.

drogba11
03-14-2009, 09:01 AM
I think Few saw what happened to Monson and understands the pressure of other leagues. Few would have to go into a program and rebuild from the bottom. He would have to compete with some great pac10 coaches. If he wasn't successful he would be out of a job putting a lot of pressure on his family. I just feel like Few is happy were he is. Spokane is a great place to raise a family and GU built him a new gym. I really believe GU would try and counter an offer the best they could. GU is simply a special place and the relationships go deep. I think Few would be crazy to leave for more money. Gonzaga has a team that could go deep and I think if we play aggressive we can play with anyone in the tournament. Why take a risk with Zona when you have Gonzaga. If you fall short Mark do you really want to end up coaching a Cal State school the rest of your career?