PDA

View Full Version : Greg Anthony on the Zags

BobZag
03-12-2009, 10:30 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/show?showId=theherd

You have to be an Insider but click on 11am MMA/Combine segment and at the 7 minute mark Greg Anthony comes on with Colin Cowherd. After about 5 minutes of UNLV memories and Big East chat, Greg talks Gonzaga.

;)

former1dog
03-12-2009, 10:34 AM
Synopsis please?

BroncoZAG615
03-12-2009, 10:35 AM
With him and Whitlock...sounds like the hype on the Zags is back :)

BobZag
03-12-2009, 10:37 AM
With him and Whitlock...sounds like the hype on the Zags is back :)

And quite honestly, that worries me. The team does much better when dissed by everyone.

77Zag
03-12-2009, 10:43 AM
And quite honestly, that worries me. The team does much better when dissed by everyone.

Ok, we suck! Our league is weak! We belong in the NIT! Over-rated! Blah, Blah, Blah

:D

BroncoZAG615
03-12-2009, 10:48 AM
Basically Anthony said that Gonzaga has balanced scoring which is a must in tournament time. Talked about basically every one of our players and the depth we have on our bench. He also said our team is a bunch of very good passers which will be important during March.

Both commented about how Gonzaga has let them down before so they aren't completely falling in love with us but they realize we are probably the only hope for the West.

I never realized that Cowherd went to Eastern Washington, he's always been one of my favorite radio guys. He is very blunt but has perspective which many radio guys lack.

JAGzag
03-12-2009, 11:15 AM

Agree 100%. You have to wonder if the teams performance was a result of the all conference picks, etc. But yep, Bouldin starts talking about going undefeated and it all falls apart. Part of this, I think, really has to do with Few keeping the team focused and not believing the hype. I hope this year is different.

Zag4Hire
03-12-2009, 11:27 AM
Did Sacre come up at all? It seemed like for a while, more than a few talking heads, pundits, etc. were saying we needed Sacre to compete with the big boys.

GUZag08
03-12-2009, 11:37 AM
Ira and Meech get a shout out. Anthony calls Ira a "bully" who can come in and guard a couple of positions. And Anthony gives Meech props for his play in the WCC tourney I think.

Nice to hear those two guys get some props

ZagNative
03-12-2009, 11:41 AM
Did I also hear correctly that he said he'd scrimmaged with the team this year?

MedZag
03-12-2009, 12:14 PM
Anthony is a class act. Really like that guy.

cjm720
03-12-2009, 01:17 PM
Anthony is a class act. Really like that guy.

And he was on the most entertaining college basketball team that I can remember.

Greg Anthony
Anderson Hunt
Larry Johnson
Achles (sp?)
Who I am missing?

Anyhow, nice to get some props from Anthony. He is a "class act."

Pleasant Peninsula
03-12-2009, 01:26 PM
And he was on the most entertaining college basketball team that I can remember.

Greg Anthony
Anderson Hunt
Larry Johnson
Achles (sp?)
Who I am missing?

Anyhow, nice to get some props from Anthony. He is a "class act."

Stacey Augmon. I believe it was George Ackles.

Best team ever? It's between them and '07 Florida for me (1990-2009 is the period of my college basketball fandom).

BobZag
03-12-2009, 01:55 PM
Did I also hear correctly that he said he'd scrimmaged with the team this year?

That's what Greg said. Made it sound like maybe September or October.

bballbeachbum
03-12-2009, 02:42 PM
Part of this, I think, really has to do with Few keeping the team focused and not believing the hype.

agreed, and also the players demonstrating they've truly learned this lesson, to not lose focus on the moment at hand and get caught up in all of this hype.

let us get caught up in all of this this hype :jk:

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!

CDC84
03-12-2009, 03:09 PM
Greg Anthony, Anderson Hunt and Stacey Augmon were the greatest set of perimeter defenders college basketball has ever seen on a single team. And I still have not seen a better low post player in college basketball since Larry Johnson. Larry was an undersized 5 man who had the athleticism of Kuso, the low post skills of Batista, could run the floor better than Heytvelt, and played harder than Jon Brockman.

Another key guy on that 1990 team was power forward Moses Scurry. Tremendous offensive rebounder.

Anthony was a real tough customer who started out as Portland Pilot, and then transferred to UNLV. Extremely bright. He actually earned his real estate license at 19, and started a successful t-shirt company until the NCAA stepped in and said he couldn't do that and receive an athletic scholarship at the same time. So he had to be a walk on his senior year. Tarkanian still feels that the pivotal moment in the season of that 1990 title team was when Greg broke his jaw and then played 35 minutes the next game with a mask that he could hardly breathe out of. In his first minute of action, he took a charge from some huge center, immediately got up and started running and gunning. It was a huge statement.

No two teams have ever faced more adversity than those 1990 and 1991 Vegas teams. The NCAA suspended their players dozens and dozens of times right before games for failing to pay back 10 cent telephone calls and such, and yet UNLV just kept winning by 30 every game.

I'll also never forget what Greg Anthony said during the press conference prior to the title game vs. Duke. The press was playing up the game as a good vs. evil deal, and one jerk writer asked Greg how he felt about playing an reputable academic institution such as Duke. His response: "Thank God we live in a country that just doesn't educate the elite."

Pleasant Peninsula
03-12-2009, 03:31 PM
Great post, CDC. Brings back memories.

What I remember about that 1990 UNLV team is that they absolutely throttled everyone they played in that tournament...except Ball State, a 12 seed (IIRC) that took them to the wire and had the ball with a chance to win at the end of the game, but came up short. That was an incredible tournament, lots of upsets, Cinderella stories (Loyola Marymount, anyone?), lots of last second shots (Tate George, Kenny Anderson, Christian Laettner). It made me a college basketball fan.

CDC84
03-12-2009, 04:13 PM
The coach of that Ball State team was none other than Rick Majerus....a mastermind at springing upsets in the NCAA tournament. He somehow managed to get the game slowed down.