PDA

View Full Version : So, Jason Whitlock thinks we win it all...

zagsfan21
03-12-2009, 07:51 AM
"10. The Gonzaga Bulldogs are not my sleeper team. They're my pick to win the whole thing."

"9. Don't be surprised if Gonzaga meets Memphis in the championship game."

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9326648/NCAA-Truths:-Oklahoma-a-joke,-Gonzaga-for-real

Shows what a solid month of play will do to people's opinion of you.

MedZag
03-12-2009, 07:56 AM
He really set off some tempers in the comment section with that Gonzaga prediction. Whoooo my.

zagsfan21
03-12-2009, 08:00 AM
Yes he did. I can only imagine what's going though those people's heads... "wait, no Duke? No Oklahoma? HOW???" People always forget that there has never been an all one seed Final Four. Someone has to sneak in.

DoMieD
03-12-2009, 08:03 AM
This guy is an idiot, but he's right!

DoMieD
03-12-2009, 08:03 AM
Yes he did. I can only imagine what's going though those people's heads... "wait, no Duke? No Oklahoma? HOW???" People always forget that there has never been an all one seed Final Four. Someone has to sneak in.

Last year?

kitzbuel
03-12-2009, 08:05 AM
People always forget that there has never been an all one seed Final Four.

Except for last year...;)

former1dog
03-12-2009, 08:08 AM
This guy is an idiot, but he's right!

Whitlock is an idiot? I strongly disagree.

I always enjoy his column because he has something that a lot of journalists lack, intellectual honesty.

kitzbuel
03-12-2009, 08:19 AM
I think he is wrong about OU and Capel. Capel did a lot of winning at VCU which was arguably the best team in Virginia during his tenure there. He seems to be doing OK in OK, too.

zagsfan21
03-12-2009, 08:24 AM
You're right. Forgot about last year's tournament. With good reason.

Zag4Hire
03-12-2009, 08:26 AM
That's about as strong of a 'take' as any major journalist will ever make right there. Oklahoma is a joke, Michigan State is a poser, GU wins it all, etc. Not many have 'MAJOR ONIONS' like Whitlock to come strong with those comments. I LOVE IT!

rennis
03-12-2009, 08:36 AM
He's obviously stirring the ### by picking on OU, MSU, Louisville and the Big Ten, and he probably doesn't really believe GU will win it all, but he probably does believe we have what it takes to go far.

I hope he's right.

hockeyzag
03-12-2009, 08:48 AM
The guy is pure genius. Obviously he was watching our conference tourney and saw how well we played. Although I hope he's right my personal expectations for this team are a little more realistic. E8, F4, is what we should achieve if we play well.

But I am glad Mr. Whitlock thinks highly of our team, he is one of my favorite columnists as well.

BobZag
03-12-2009, 08:57 AM
Whitlock is the best, and he'll return your email if you write intellegently. Not sure about his tourney picks, but that fella is onions!

Bogozags
03-12-2009, 10:13 AM

I could be wrong but believe last year was the first time all four #1 Seeds (UCLA, KU, Memphis and UNC) actually reached the Final Four.

ZagSlug
03-12-2009, 10:15 AM
Whitlock is often wrong but never in doubt of his opinions

He is very entertaining but he is hovering around the Mendoza line on his predictions

zagsfan21
03-12-2009, 10:55 AM
I could be wrong but believe last year was the first time all four #1 Seeds (UCLA, KU, Memphis and UNC) actually reached the Final Four.

Just keep piling on. :D

T-bonedazag
03-12-2009, 10:58 AM
I love Jason W....I was going to post this but I guess someone beat me to it, JW is always on point with his predictions and opinions, they may not always be right but the way he conveys them always makes me think that they will be right. I always try to read his stuff and listen to him whenever he fills in for Jim Rome...If Whitlock is on the Zag's bandwagon then Im driving it all the way to D-Town. And how about those Baylor Bears....its wacky in Waco baby!

Go Zags!!

dpouley
03-12-2009, 11:15 AM
Whitlock is an idiot? I strongly disagree.

I always enjoy his column because he has something that a lot of journalists lack, intellectual honesty.

Whitlock lambasted UW for firing Tyrone Willingham this year. He said that Tyrone needed a fifth year and that UW was pulling another Notre Dame by firing him so "soon" into his contract.

Anyone that looks at a 11-37 record and an 0-12 season and proclaims that the coach of that team deserves another year is an idiot. That is a far cry from intellectual honesty, its more like misguided, unintelligent, pure inaccurate opinion based honesty.

Angelo Roncalli
03-12-2009, 11:18 AM
If firing Ty is the only basis a journalist has for lambasting the UW, he/she just isn't working hard enough. :D

UberZagFan
03-12-2009, 11:24 AM
Stephen Curry has a better chance of shooting Davidson to an upset than does the fourth or fifth-place team from the Big 12 or Big 10. We saw what Curry did last season, lighting up Gonzaga, Georgetown and Wisconsin for 40, 30 and 33 points in consecutive tournament games.

He belongs in the Big Dance. And truth is, so does his mama, Sonya Curry.

Look, sex sells, and the NCAA Tournament is a television event put on to draw viewers. Sonya Curry makes me want to watch Davidson hoops. The woman is fine. She looks like Halle Berry's big sister.

It would be a travesty if she's not invited to the dance. A CBS executive should make her a sideline reporter in charge of interviewing parents in the stands.

spot on. hey, did anyone mention yet that last year's FF had all one seeds? just wondering.

zagsfan21
03-12-2009, 11:34 AM
hey, did anyone mention yet that last year's FF had all one seeds? just wondering.

You know, I think you're the first.

</sarcasm>

realtydog
03-12-2009, 11:37 AM
Xavier is pretty good--but he must still be pissed about the 2006 Tourney when we knocked them out early---boohooo

rennis
03-12-2009, 11:42 AM
Whitlock lambasted UW for firing Tyrone Willingham this year. He said that Tyrone needed a fifth year and that UW was pulling another Notre Dame by firing him so "soon" into his contract.

Anyone that looks at a 11-37 record and an 0-12 season and proclaims that the coach of that team deserves another year is an idiot. That is a far cry from intellectual honesty, its more like misguided, unintelligent, pure inaccurate opinion based honesty.

wait, why are we talking about UW football?

oh nevermind.

Can someone start a thread for this guy to post his opinions in, so maybe the GU fans can enjoy the board and their peers without constant interjection? Maybe the other trolls can join him.

UberZagFan
03-12-2009, 11:58 AM
Actually, Uber thinks the UW comment is a valid criticism against Whitlock and his credibility is somewhat of an issue in this thread. As for Whitlock, he did criticize UW for firing a coach that had a horrible record and lost all respect with his players, the community etc. And to make it worse, Whitlock's commentary had undertones that the decision was racist (i.e., implying that if Tyrone was white he would have been given a 5th year).

former1dog
03-12-2009, 12:03 PM
Actually, Uber thinks the UW comment is a valid criticism against Whitlock and his credibility is somewhat of an issue in this thread. As for Whitlock, he did criticize UW for firing a coach that had a horrible record and lost all respect with his players, the community etc. And to make it worse, Whitlock's commentary had undertones that the decision was racist (i.e., implying that if Tyrone was white he would have been given a 5th year).

+1... I still like Whitlock. Didn't know anything about the UW article.

UberZagFan
03-12-2009, 12:15 PM
+1... I still like Whitlock. Didn't know anything about the UW article.

Uber likes some of his stuff too. Just not everything. :D

MotoZag
03-12-2009, 12:21 PM
6. Stephen Curry, Davidson and Sonya Curry belong in the NCAA Tournament.

Stephen Curry has a better chance of shooting Davidson to an upset than does the fourth or fifth-place team from the Big 12 or Big 10. We saw what Curry did last season, lighting up Gonzaga, Georgetown and Wisconsin for 40, 30 and 33 points in consecutive tournament games.

He belongs in the Big Dance. And truth is, so does his mama, Sonya Curry.

Look, sex sells, and the NCAA Tournament is a television event put on to draw viewers. Sonya Curry makes me want to watch Davidson hoops. The woman is fine. She looks like Halle Berry's big sister.

It would be a travesty if she's not invited to the dance. A CBS executive should make her a sideline reporter in charge of interviewing parents in the stands.

I particularly like this injecture, at least the part about Curry's Mom. I think us young folks have a nickname for this particular type of beauty :O haha

Birddog
03-12-2009, 03:55 PM
I'm not now and have never been a big fan of Whitlocks. He tends to get borderline sensational at times. This is one of 'em.

caduceus
03-12-2009, 05:57 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9326648/NCAA-Truths:-Oklahoma-a-joke,-Gonzaga-for-real

10. The Gonzaga Bulldogs are not my sleeper team. They're my pick to win the whole thing.

If you're still talking about the 18-point loss to Memphis, then you obviously haven't seen the Zags play in the last month.

Memphis did not expose Gonzaga as inferior. The Tigers gave the Zags focus, a purpose and a chip. Since losing to Memphis, the Zags have been steamrolling opponents, winning by 37, 34, 8, 11, 50, 35 and 25 in their last seven games.

9. Don't be surprised if Gonzaga meets Memphis in the championship game.

Just A Zag
03-12-2009, 06:00 PM
granted, all of our beatdowns have been against WCC opponents.

Pleasant Peninsula
03-12-2009, 06:19 PM
and USC Upstate!

dnj116
03-12-2009, 07:36 PM
Hey, at least someone is giving us some press...I like how he called out the Big 10 for being the worst major conference in college right now. I couldn't agree more, I fall asleep everytime I watch those conference games. I would personally LOVE a shot at Michigan St. over any other high seed. However, I don't know about Oklahoma being overrated, they'd give nightmares to anyone facing them.

Overall, I like that at least one talking head is still picking us to go deep.

Pleasant Peninsula
03-12-2009, 07:40 PM
I like how he called out the Big 10 for being the worst major conference in college right now. I couldn't agree more, I fall asleep everytime I watch those conference games.

I disagree. Aesthetically, the Big-10 might be the least pleasing of the major conferences. But top-to-bottom, in terms of overall team quality, they are considerably better than the SEC this year and almost certainly better than the PAC-10 as well.

I don't like watching games in the 50s that much either (or occasionally the 30s), but I'd be willing to bet that a couple Big Ten teams overperform in the tournament, knocking off more visually appealing teams in the process.

ZagsGoZags
03-12-2009, 07:48 PM
but it was shockingly good news to read
how much good news can we take?

our hopes are rising .....
and then what

NotoriousZ
03-12-2009, 07:48 PM
O.K. so I've never heard of Jason Whitlock, but the man knows basketball! :D

Seriously, it's nice to hear an outside opinion that isn't saying overrated, soft, ect. I just hope our guys aren't reading this hype. If any of you are seeing this, just remember Memphis destroyed you! Stay hungry Zags!

outrunu
03-12-2009, 07:54 PM
http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=19116

ZagsGoZags
03-12-2009, 08:01 PM
For more incisive analysis on this article, see the thread entitled "So, Jason Whitlock thinks we win it all"
with 28 posts in it

dpouley
03-12-2009, 08:08 PM
Can someone start a thread for this guy to post his opinions in, so maybe the GU fans can enjoy the board and their peers without constant interjection? Maybe the other trolls can join him.

I do not believe that I am a troll. I spend a lot of time reading this board, and I spend a lot of time and money watching the Zags. I was in Las Vegas last weekend (my second time, I was there in 2004 for the Las Vegas showdown); I have been at the Battle in Seattle every year it has existed; and I have seen 6 games in the new Kennel since its inception. In fact I even joined this board before you did.

My opinion causes you to not enjoy this board? Give me a break. Do you really want this message board to be void of any perspective outside of what you agree with?

kitzbuel
03-13-2009, 05:16 AM
I think he is wrong about OU and Capel. Capel did a lot of winning at VCU which was arguably the best team in Virginia during his tenure there. He seems to be doing OK in OK, too.

OK, maybe he wasn't so wrong about OU. :o

GoZags
03-13-2009, 06:02 AM
I do not believe that I am a troll. I spend a lot of time reading this board, and I spend a lot of time and money watching the Zags. I was in Las Vegas last weekend (my second time, I was there in 2004 for the Las Vegas showdown); I have been at the Battle in Seattle every year it has existed; and I have seen 6 games in the new Kennel since its inception. In fact I even joined this board before you did.

My opinion causes you to not enjoy this board? Give me a break. Do you really want this message board to be void of any perspective outside of what you agree with?

I'll back up dpouley here as well. While it's true that he and I've gone back and forth on a few issues (related to UDub and GU) it is my opinion that he does not troll this board. Just my 2 cents worth. GoZags

rennis
03-13-2009, 08:32 AM

fair enough. I believe, however, you'd be better received by some if you focused more on your thoughts re: Gonzaga instead of bringing up UW in most of your posts, which really seems to be consistent to me. I wouldn't go over to the UW forums to talk about GU, unless it was about a game between the two schools.

just sayin

Nevtelen
03-13-2009, 08:34 AM
I'll back up dpouley here as well. While it's true that he and I've gone back and forth on a few issues (related to UDub and GU) it is my opinion that he does not troll this board. Just my 2 cents worth. GoZags

Agreed. It's good to have other perspectives on the board. There are several good posters who are fans of other teams who visit this board. dpouley just happens to be a fan of another team many here do not care for, that's all.

75Zag
03-13-2009, 09:03 AM
My perspective is different from most as I graduated from GU in '75 and obtained another degree from UW in '78, but I am getting really annoyed by the fact that recently it seems that virtually every thread eventually devolves into a "UW is bad, GU is good" discussion. If the Bulldogs are playing UW I will cheer my guts out for GU and against the Fuskies, but otherwise, who gives a flying F about the Pac 10 team in Seattle? I am actually pretty happy that Washington State has a couple good programs this year and that two schools could go deep into the NCAAs. There seems to be some sort of weird Freudian envy / resentment thing going on here on the part of some GU fans. If people come here and bad mouth the Bulldogs then let them have it with everything you've got. But other than that, supporting both programs is not a sin so far as I know.

Go Bulldogs! Beat The Next Guys!

MedZag
03-13-2009, 10:21 AM
Many of us are guilty of going onto opposing message boards and attempting to defend our team against what we perceive as unfair criticisms or slander. dpauley and dawgfather have always been courteous and articulate guests who attempt to do the same. Plus they both enjoy Zags ball, which is OK in my book. ;)

ZagsGoZags
03-13-2009, 10:31 AM
http://www.faniq.com/blog/Jason-Whitlock-Thinks-Gonzaga-Will-Win-The-NCAA-Tournament-Blog-20537

First the article pans Jason: "In his 10 truths about the NCAA, he oversteps the boundaries of reason so far, that it's hard to even follow where he's trying to go. Here are a few of his insane "truths":

"The Gonzaga Bulldogs are not my sleeper team. They're my pick to win the whole thing."

Then, this article states:

"Wow. Ever since their few Cinderella runs back in the Dan Dickau era, Gonzaga has been the sexy pick to make noise in the tourney, and aside from a couple years, they were largely disappointing. Even with Adam Morrison, who was one of the best players in the nation, they never quite made it all the way.

So why this year? Is it because of their 27th-ranked RPI? Or is it their impressive 5 losses against the 91st ranked schedule? Sure, they're rolling through the WCC tournament, but there's really no legitimate reason to believe that this team will make it to the round of 16, never mind win the whole tournament."

So, here is plenty of grist for us to chew on.
Zags and Zagdom, let's go prove Jason right !!!!!
with action not words

dpouley
03-13-2009, 10:51 AM
fair enough. I believe, however, you'd be better received by some if you focused more on your thoughts re: Gonzaga instead of bringing up UW in most of your posts, which really seems to be consistent to me. I wouldn't go over to the UW forums to talk about GU, unless it was about a game between the two schools.

just sayin

Find me a post that I have made, other than this one about UW Football, as a commentary on Jason Whitlock, in which I brought UW into the conversation. The funny thing about this website is that I get bashed for talking about UW, when all I really am ever doing is responding to something that someone else has posted about UW.

I know that this is a GU board and as such I try very hard to keep my discussion about GU. However, when I see things that I do not agree with posted about UW, I will defend or attack those comments as I am a UW fan, alumni, season ticket holder, etc., etc.

I do see things from an outsiders perspective, that is just a fact, and sometimes what I see is not in line with others on this board. That is fine. However, I do give my honest opinion and not some anti-GU rhetoric that I post to get people mad.

UberZagFan
03-13-2009, 11:09 AM
But other than that, supporting both programs is not a sin so far as I know.

It's not? :D

p.s. Uber already stated that the UW interjection on this thread was fair game. It goes to the author's credibility (Whitlock not dpouley). And dpouley is not a troll--he's just misguided.

zag944
03-13-2009, 11:45 AM
I hate when sportswriters feel the need to "name drop". I dont know if the John Wooden thing in that article is a joke or not, but it was a stupid way to open a column.

former1dog
03-13-2009, 01:56 PM

+1 - Dpouley's good people.