PDA

View Full Version : Could it Happen?

Grad Zag
03-11-2009, 07:26 PM
Do you think that the 5 teams that beat us this year could all win their conference tournaments? Those teams being; Arizona, Uconn, Portland State, Utah, and Memphis. I know it might be a little bit of a stretch but what are your thoughts? If this has already been brought up, feel free to delete it.

theirishzag03
03-11-2009, 08:11 PM
I think all will make the tourney, but I think to say they will all win their conference tourney is a stretch. Memphis should, PSU will beat MSU, UConn doesn't play Pitt well, Arizona is erratic, and I think Utah will lose in the final.

Could it happen...YES
Do I want it to happen...heck YES
Will it happen...doubtful

Bogozags
03-12-2009, 05:54 AM
UConn will have to play Pitt one more time and they will not win that game! Not possible to have all five teams, who beat GU win their conference tournament. UA will be hard pressed to win BUT that is more likely to happen than UCONN beating Pitt this year.

former1dog
03-12-2009, 06:57 AM
3 teams are in for sure, Memphis, UCONN and Portland St.

I think Utah has a pretty good resume for an at large, which leaves Arizona. Hard to say about Arizona although it seems that the pundits think they are a tourney team.

cjm720
03-12-2009, 07:02 AM
Quite impressive that this conversation even exists. I hope all the December naysayers recognzie what a great scheduling job Coach Few has done once again.

GO ZAGS!!!

LongIslandZagFan
03-12-2009, 07:08 AM
Arizona - Don't see it happening. Too many road blocks ahead of them... UW and UCLA in particular... I DO see them getting by ASU

Uconn - High probability. I hope they beat Cuse into tomorrow, next week and next month... I really hate Jimmy B and Syracuse.

Portland State - Won and in.

Utah - Moderate probability... BYU could be a spoiler.

Memphis - Why are they even going to bother with the C-USA tourney? Just hand the autobid to Memphis and move on

Out of the 5... Utah MUST win to get into the dance... Zona needs to make a good showing in P10 tourney but may not need to win it... all others are dancing no matter what.

former1dog
03-12-2009, 08:24 AM
Gonzaga record vs. teams who still can dance

Oklahoma St. W
Maryland W
Tennessee Wx2
Washington St. W
Arizona L
Connecticut L
Portland St. L
Utah L
Memphis L

5 wins, 5 losses

GonzagaDynasty
03-12-2009, 08:35 AM
I dunno if this is good news, or bad news... but obviously all the teams we lost to are good teams, and likely to be in the dance... However we should have beat most of them.. We had some really, really crummy games..

former1dog
03-12-2009, 08:42 AM
We had some really, really crummy games..

I agree for the most part except for UCONN. I thought we played really well in that one and it came down to a pull it out your ass miracle shot by UCONN and then they beat our second string in overtime.

brian_sun
03-12-2009, 09:35 AM
Gonzaga record vs. teams who still can dance

Oklahoma St. W
Maryland W
Tennessee Wx3
Washington St. W
Arizona L
Connecticut L
Portland St. L
Utah L
Memphis L

6 wins, 5 losses

Why is Tennessee Wx3? To say WSU and Maryland will go to the tourney is a stretch. It's possible, but the odds are not good at all. St Mary has a better odds to make it to the tourney as an at large team than Maryland or WSU making it to the tourney. Realistically, you are looking at a 3-5 records against tourney teams.

former1dog
03-12-2009, 09:50 AM
Why is Tennessee Wx3? To say WSU and Maryland will go to the tourney is a stretch. It's possible, but the odds are not good at all. St Mary has a better odds to make it to the tourney as an at large team than Maryland or WSU making it to the tourney. Realistically, you are looking at a 3-5 records against tourney teams.

Thanks Mr. Obvious. They can still dance because they haven't lost in their conference tourneys, capeche?
I wasn't stating an opinion, just facts.

Also, thanks on the correction. It should read Tenn Wx2.

MDABE80
03-12-2009, 09:53 AM
NIT is also a tourney. I think that's what some meant by "tourney". Certainly none of those teams will squander tapayers' money by spending $50 K to buy their way into a CBI type affair like UW had to last year. The only good thing that came from their 1st round loss was that no network dared put it on TV.

brian_sun
03-12-2009, 01:49 PM
NIT is also a tourney. I think that's what some meant by "tourney". Certainly none of those teams will squander tapayers' money by spending $50 K to buy their way into a CBI type affair like UW had to last year. The only good thing that came from their 1st round loss was that no network dared put it on TV.

Abe, why bring UW into this discussion? Is NIT even relevant in this discussion? If he was talking about NIT, then, St. Mary certainly would count as Wx3, don't you think?

By the way, if you are in China next week, hopefully both of our teams can advance to the second weekend when you come back. I was just in Shanghai in mid February for a business trip. They have ESPN Asia over there, and I was able to watch a couple CBB games on TV, very early in the morning. Since CBS has the TV rights to the tourney, I don't think ESPN Asia can show it. So the only way you can watch the tourney is probably online through the CBS website. But it will be very slow, since accessing any US websites from China is slow: 1. due to the trans pacific fiber optics cable doesn't handle the high capacity that comes with high speed internet. 2. I think the firewall in China slows down the traffic further as it attempts to filter out the political sensitive topics and explicit sexual contents. All I could do when I was over there was just bring up ESPN gamecast to follow the score. With the time difference and the slow internet speed, your probably won't have many options.