PDA

View Full Version : KO starts off well at B.C. AAA championships

OZZag
03-11-2009, 07:02 PM
Kelly had a big game against 1st opponent this afternoon.

Boxscore: http://hsboys.bchoops.ca/AAA09/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=65

An all around game with 30 points, 14 rebounds, 7 assists, 2 steals and 3 blocked shots. SKSS are the #1 seed and include 6'8" Sophomore Post David Wagner who had 16 points and 9 rebounds. They are scheduled to meet either pre-season #1, St. Georges or #2 Yale in the semi finals if they getv through their next game.

Good luck to KO!

ZagNative
03-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Thanks for rounding that info up for us, Oz!

What a super addition Kelly's going to be!

BobZag
03-12-2009, 08:37 AM
Go Kelly! Thanks, Ozzy.

OZZag
03-12-2009, 08:37 PM
Today KO scored 33, 19 rebounds, 8 assists and 6 blocked shots in second round matchup against Kitsilano. They face Emmerson Murray (pre-season #1)led St. Georges in the Semis tomorrow (St. Georges upset Yale int he other quarter final).

Some people question the stats against Canadian competition, but SCU's Marc Trasolini did not even get these numbers last year and he made the WCC all-freshman team.

Nevtelen
03-12-2009, 09:56 PM
Great comparison - gives a little perspective. Thanks for the continuous updates!

CB4
03-12-2009, 10:00 PM
Today KO scored 33, 19 rebounds, 8 assists and 6 blocked shots in second round matchup against Kitsilano. They face Emmerson Murray (pre-season #1)led St. Georges in the Semis tomorrow (St. Georges upset Yale int he other quarter final).

Some people question the stats against Canadian competition, but SCU's Marc Trasolini did not even get these numbers last year and he made the WCC all-freshman team.

Agreed. One thing that needs to be put into perspective as well is that the high school game in Canada, as well as the CIS game, is played under international basketball rules with various modifications. There is a shot clock of 30 seconds in BC boys HS basketball as well.

While this may seem irrelevant, the international game is a lot rougher as less fouls are called overall. You can look at this one of two ways: Olynick can use his size to punish and take advantage of his opponents or they can defend him much more aggressively.

Also, even though US high school ball doesn't use a shot clock, most possessions are usually under 30 seconds anyways, but the clock in Canadian basketball still forces the play and in my opinion makes it much more difficult to put up those type of numbers. Although this can be seen as more possessions for Olynick as well, therefore more chances to score.

dnj116
03-13-2009, 12:45 AM
Awesome :D

On another note, does anyone know where Arop plays/who for? I'm going to be in Alberta next week for a while, Calgary more specifically, but I would make the trip up to Edmonton if I have the opportunity to watch him play. I don't even know if Alberta HS are still in their season but it's worth a shot. If anyone knows please let me know.

And if you do make it up to watch him, include your own synopsis. Anything on our future Zags always makes for some good reading.

ZagNative
03-13-2009, 10:30 AM
Vancouver Sun link. (http://www.vancouversun.com/story_print.html?id=1384600&sponsor=)

Starts off with a fun photo: "South Kamloops Titan Kelly Olynyk towers over his teammate Lemuel Lau as they practise for a run at the provincial championship this week."

http://a123.g.akamai.net/f/123/12465/1d/www.vancouversun.com/1384601.bin

Winning isn't a stretch

South Kamloops shows the talent to match the team's height

By Yvonne Zacharias, Vancouver Sun (http://www.vancouversun.com/story_print.html?id=1384600&sponsor=)
March 13, 2009 10:01 AM

They were a tower of strength on the court.

With 11 of 13 players six-feet or taller, the No. 1 South Kamloops Titans dumped the No. 7 Kitsilano Blue Demons 80-63 Thursday evening. South Kamloops now advances to the semifinals against St. Georges in the AAA provincial boys high school tournament under way at the Agrodome.

South Kamloops, regarded as the best team in B.C., is easily one of the tallest in the province's history.

Like a bear reaching out to swat a fly, South Kamloops Grade 12 forward Kelly Olynyk, who stands 6-10, easily swatted the ball into the basket on rebounds or just plopped it in, flush after flush.

The lanky Titan finished with 33 points and 19 boards.

Olynyk, who will attend Gonzaga University in Spokane next year, not only had height on his side; he also never lost his cool on the court. He remained as calm as a monk, enabling him to gauge long-shot passes to his teammates, score on three-point shots and grab the rebounds.

He outshined every other player on the court. Kamloops parents raised a loud cheer for him as he left the court in the final minutes of the game.

Kitsilano coach Randy Coutts couldn't help but be impressed with Olynyk's hoops savvy.

"He will do very well wherever he goes," Coutts said.

South Kamloops meets St. Georges at 8:45 p.m. in a semifinal tonight at the Agrodome. St. Georges downed Yale Thursday 67-61.

BobZag
03-13-2009, 10:41 AM
I hear he scores in a quiet way but before you know it, you look up at the scoreboard and, whoa, 30 points!

Also, Kelly scores in sooooooooo many different ways.

EngineerZag
03-13-2009, 11:06 AM
The real question is, what has Bol Kong done lately??

:)

cjm720
03-13-2009, 11:11 AM
Hey BZ or anyone that might know, why does that staff continue to visit recruits after they sign? I remember Few visiting Houston mid-season to watch Meech and I thought I read somewhere that Floyd was up in Canada watching Kelly.

Is this to maintain the relationship? Secure the recruit? ID things to work on (e.g., foot work, shooting technique)? Other factors?

Just curios and as always GO ZAGS!!!

roxdoc
03-13-2009, 11:22 AM
There is a difference between a verbal and signing. Need to let the recruit know how much we really do care and guard our turff so to speak. Also I'm sure as you say it gives the coaches a good chance to judge what to improve and how to capitalize on the special strengths.

KO sounds like he will have a terrific future at GU. We have a lot of excitement ahead of us this year, but guess what....its not going to stop next year!

GO ZAGS!

BobZag
03-13-2009, 01:43 PM
Is this to maintain the relationship? Secure the recruit? ID things to work on (e.g., foot work, shooting technique)? Other factors?

Just curios and as always GO ZAGS!!!

Yes on all questions. Not cool to get a kid then never show interest.

Scotto
03-13-2009, 03:15 PM
Hopefully things work out for all the Canadian kids coming to Spokane in the next year.

roxdoc
03-13-2009, 08:58 PM
Really excited to have them all!:D

zagfan07
03-13-2009, 09:49 PM
Also, even though US high school ball doesn't use a shot clock, most possessions are usually under 30 seconds anyways, but the clock in Canadian basketball still forces the play and in my opinion makes it much more difficult to put up those type of numbers.

High School games in the US use a 35 second shot clock. Just wanted to clarify that point. Also, the 30 second clock would make it easier to put up those type of numbers, since there's more possessions per game. That's just nit-picking though. I can't wait to see Kelly in a Zag's uni. From what I've heard, he's the real deal.

CB4
03-13-2009, 11:26 PM
High School games in the US use a 35 second shot clock. Just wanted to clarify that point. Also, the 30 second clock would make it easier to put up those type of numbers, since there's more possessions per game. That's just nit-picking though. I can't wait to see Kelly in a Zag's uni. From what I've heard, he's the real deal.

I guess I generalized as my only experience is with 4A boys WA high school basketball, which doesn't use a shot clock.

Scotto
03-14-2009, 01:24 AM
KO's South Kamloops team lost in overtime tonight. They were down 24 at the half but rallied to force overtime only to fall short. Kelly fouled out with 2 seconds left in the 4th quarter on an offensive foul (called him for a push off).

Kelly 16-29 FG 3-8 FT 37pts, 14rebs, 9asts, 3stls, 4to's

El Voce
03-14-2009, 08:40 AM
Our thanks to those of you in the Great White North who have kept us informed of Kelly's exploits. The future is, indeed, bright for the Zags.

BobZag
03-14-2009, 09:15 AM
Our thanks to those of you in the Great White North who have kept us informed of Kelly's exploits. The future is, indeed, bright for the Zags.

Ditto. Thanks, guys.

NorthoftheBorder
03-14-2009, 12:32 PM
Kelly Olynyk's team trailed 65 - 54 with 3:40 left in the game when Kelly took over and scored 9 of his teams final 14 points to bring South Kamloops back to a 68 - 68 tie at the end of regulation. Unfortunately Kelly fouled out with 2 seconds left in regulation time so he wasn't around for overtime.

High school games in B.C. are 40 minutes long (instead of 32 minutes long like in the U.S.) so that will account for the higher scoring , but Kelly is a much more highly regarded prospect than last year's best big man, Marc Trasolini, who had a pretty good freshman year at Santa Clara.

CB4
03-14-2009, 07:27 PM
I caught some high lights on Sportsnet Pacific, no South Kamloops ones, but they showed the other semi final game. Looks to me like those teams would compete at the 4A level in Washington. Kinda hard to tell from just the high lights but both teams had some quality players. I think it's safe to assume that the top 5% of BC Boys AAA basketball could compete at the 4A level while the rest would get destroyed.

Sorry if this is repetitive, just trying to put what the BC game is like vs. WA into perspective the best I can.

ZagNative
03-14-2009, 07:48 PM
From ZagsWorldWide (http://zagsworldwide.wordpress.com/) todnight:

South Kamloops’ season ended with a victory, as Kelly Olynyk and the Titans defeated White Rock Christian Academy 94-75 in the 3rd-place game of the British Columbia AAA Provincial Championships. Kelly racked up 46 points (15-30 FGs, 4-8 3’s, 12-14 FTs), 15 rebounds, 5 assists, 5 blocks & 2 steals. His 4-game averages for the tournament: 36.5 points, 15.5 rebounds, 7.3 assists, 4.3 turnovers, 2.3 steals, 3.8 blocks. He shot 52.8% on FGs (56-106), 39.1% on threes (9-23), and 64.1% on FTs (25-39).That page also has an update on Elias Harris' game today, plus a snippet about Kuso.

ronh_pm
03-14-2009, 10:13 PM
KO's South Kamloops team lost in overtime tonight. They were down 24 at the half but rallied to force overtime only to fall short. Kelly fouled out with 2 seconds left in the 4th quarter on an offensive foul (called him for a push off).

Kelly 16-29 FG 3-8 FT 37pts, 14rebs, 9asts, 3stls, 4to's

The game was tied with about 4 seconds to go. Kelly, with four fouls, took an inbound pass from the endline and turned to run up the floor for a buzzer beater.
About three steps in he runs into a defender at about center. The ref blows the whistle and seems to physically indicate a block. Kellys team was in bonus and this would put Kelly on the line with about 2 seconds left.

The ref, seeming to realize that if if puts Kelly on the line, is essentially giving his team the win, changes the call to an offensive foul, Kellys fifth and (only offensive foul of the night) disqualifying foul. The game goes into OT with Kelly on the bench. About 2 minutes into OT with the game tied, the same ref T's up the Kamloops coach. Their opponents make the shots and on the ensuing possession, score a three and win the game.

I was at the tournament for the last five days reporting on the event and photographing the event. The call on Kelly last night was the complete talk of every media person, coach and basketball person well until the night last night and even through both games today. It is regarded as the worst call in memory of the 64 year old tournament.

Kelly put down 46 tonight in his teams win of third place nd was named MVP of the tourney as he led the tournament in points (36.5), rebounds (15.5) and assists (7.2). He was the first player selected as MVP that did not appear in the final game since 1996.

kitzbuel
03-15-2009, 04:57 AM
The game was tied with about 4 seconds to go. Kelly, with four fouls, took an inbound pass from the endline and turned to run up the floor for a buzzer beater.
About three steps in he runs into a defender at about center. The ref blows the whistle and seems to physically indicate a block. Kellys team was in bonus and this would put Kelly on the line with about 2 seconds left.

The ref, seeming to realize that if if puts Kelly on the line, is essentially giving his team the win, changes the call to an offensive foul, Kellys fifth and (only offensive foul of the night) disqualifying foul. The game goes into OT with Kelly on the bench. About 2 minutes into OT with the game tied, the same ref T's up the Kamloops coach. Their opponents make the shots and on the ensuing possession, score a three and win the game.

I was at the tournament for the last five days reporting on the event and photographing the event. The call on Kelly last night was the complete talk of every media person, coach and basketball person well until the night last night and even through both games today. It is regarded as the worst call in memory of the 64 year old tournament.

Kelly put down 46 tonight in his teams win of third place nd was named MVP of the tourney as he led the tournament in points (36.5), rebounds (15.5) and assists (7.2). He was the first player selected as MVP that did not appear in the final game since 1996.

Excellent report. Sounds like they are getting Kelly ready for WCC reffing.

DixieZag
03-15-2009, 05:05 AM
Just reiterate all the thanks for the work put in by our friends to the north, one little thing that really got me excited, 12-14 from the stripe, WOW, a big man/wing that is automatic from the line, a HUGE weapon.

BobZag
03-15-2009, 08:56 AM
Kelly has all the ingredients to be special someday--skillset, hoops IQ, height, length, versatility, inside/outside game. It may take a redshirt year, and another year on top of that, but down the road two/three years he can be special at Gonzaga. I'm excited to have him on board.

zag67
03-15-2009, 09:34 AM
BZ, I also think and hope that you are right. If he redshirts, think of the players that will be with him during his Sophmore year. Seniors of Meech, Kong and Sacre. Juniors of Poling, Gibbs, Harris, Dower, and Arop. And who knows of others.
This could be a great run to watch.:)

ZagNative
03-15-2009, 09:47 AM
Isn't it a tad early to be talking about redshirts? I assume that both Kelly and Manny will be playing on the Canadian Junior National team this summer. If they play very well and are well-coached and develop during the process, who's to say what they won't be ready to contribute as freshmen? I guess the question will be whether there's room on a talented roster to keep them off the bench.

OZZag
03-15-2009, 04:56 PM
While the loss to St. Georges in the overtime semi-final game was a great disapointment, Kelly's great tournament was verified with the MVP. My take is that if Austin comes back for his Junior year then Kelly will Redshirt. The FIBA world championships, while a great experience, will not prepare Kelly for the D1 game as much as a RS year, practicing against Austin, Sacre, Poling, Dower and the like. The international game is not played the same, different rules, referees and atmosphere. Playing against some European teams is far different then playing against, say, SCU or St. Mary's in their own venue. Just ask Patty Mills!