PDA

View Full Version : Don't sleep on the Zags

FuManShoes
03-11-2009, 05:41 PM
They'll bite ya!

http://beyondthearc.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2009/03/10/1831058.aspx

Gonzaga
Originally, I was going to highlight Michigan State. The Spartans (25-5) were blown out by Maryland and UNC earlier this season, but that was without Goran Suton. It coped with Raymar Morgan’s mono and walking pneumonia, and Delvon Roe’s injury woes. But now, the Spartans are a No. 1 seed in the BracketMatrix. Even if no one’s talking about it, if you’re a 1 seed, you’re not overlooked.

That leaves the Zags.

Yes, the same Bulldogs that were humbled at home by Memphis last month and lost four of five in Dec. to mostly NCAA tournament teams (Portland State doesn’t count). Those same Zags that just clinched their 11th straight NCAA tournament berth by destroying bubblicious Saint Mary’s in the WCC tourney finale.

Gonzaga’s resplendent NBA talent – Austin Daye, Josh Heytvelt, Micah Downs among them – also isthe most maddening part of the Zags. NBA scouts rip Daye, Downs is inconsistent and Heytvelt, well… Why aren’t they better? At 26-5, shouldn’t they dominate opponents?

Oh wait. They have. Since that Memphis mashing, Gonzaga’s won nine straight, the last seven by an average of 28.5 points. The Bulldogs sport a 17.6 scoring margin, one of the best indicators of NCAA tourney success. Kansas was tops in scoring margin last season; Florida was in 2007.

Caveat: Recent history. Overlook the Big Dance bumbles (Zags haven’t won a tourney game since Adam Morrison), but losses to UConn, Utah, Arizona and Memphis were this year. Gonzaga’s early round matchups will be crucial.

75Zag
03-11-2009, 05:51 PM
Note the perspective and tone of this article. "We" need to beware of GU sneaking up on "us".

If I were paranoid, I would believe that right now there are computers buzzing in the basement of the BCS Selection Committee - oops, I meant NCAA Selection Committee - trying to find the perfect combination of seeding and venue to guaranty that GU would lose in the first round of the tournament. Since I am not paranoid, I won't worry about it, although I do have to go now because "they" are sending signals through the walls of my house into my brain.

Go Bulldogs! Beat "Them"!

gu03alum
03-11-2009, 06:29 PM
I was having a conversation about that with my dad yesterday. I'm not sure if I'm being paranoid either, but I just feel like that the tournament committee does not want small schools to succeed like Gonzaga because it cuts into the money that BCS conference schools get. There is only so much tv/advertising/tournament money to go around. Then I think, how could they have enough time to do this to Gonzaga each year? No, its just flukey how Gonzaga gets screwed so often. Isn't it?

ZagLawGrad
03-11-2009, 06:36 PM
I was having a conversation about that with my dad yesterday. I'm not sure if I'm being paranoid either, but I just feel like that the tournament committee does not want small schools to succeed like Gonzaga because it cuts into the money that BCS conference schools get. There is only so much tv/advertising/tournament money to go around. Then I think, how could they have enough time to do this to Gonzaga each year? No, its just flukey how Gonzaga gets screwed so often. Isn't it?

I hope the Zags go really deep so the committee maybe finally understands that the Zags are worthy of real respect year in and out, and that the Bulldogs have a following far beyond Spokane.

Zag4Hire
03-11-2009, 06:52 PM
Found these interesting bits from a blog:

ESPN thinks the Vikings will get #4 seed Gonzaga in the first round. Gonzaga played in a sucky conference this year, and they got smoked at home in the only game the Professor watched them play this year. So yeah, I think CSU can take them.

Other ESPN projected #4 seeds include UCLA (we want no part of them), Clemson (beatable) and Missouri (tough). So, Gonzaga would be a good draw.

I mean, if the Vikings are going to upset someone in the first round, we might as well beat a team that most of the nation would be thrilled to see beaten. Are you with me?

First off, NO team is good enough to sleep on anybody in the first round..talent is spread out all over the place. Second, I would never say that I can sum up a team when I only saw one of their games and it was over a month ago. Third, Mizzou would be tougher than the Zags? Doubt that. That's fine but I don't think this guy is alone. I would venture to guess that there are a lot of doubters out there (the BCS School-a-philes namely) because GU hasn't performed of late in the NCAA tournament. I, honestly believe this squad is different. They are finding their stride at the right time and anybody who was at the tourney or who watched it one TV can attest that these kids were having fun, opening up the floor, playing with fire, and were loving the feeling of winning with passion. If they come out with that same passion and prowess, I can't see ANY team rolling up the Zags.

If you care to go to the blog, here's the link:
http://politicalscience216.blogspot.com/2009/03/whos-next-for-csu-vikings.html

outrunu
03-11-2009, 07:07 PM
I'm there with you guys on this...I hate this week....waiting to get hosed is the feeling in my gut.

Beer helps.

gu03alum
03-11-2009, 07:18 PM
I'm there with you guys on this...I hate this week....waiting to get hosed is the feeling in my gut.

Beer helps.

Good call, outrunu.

Is it Sunday yet?

krozman
03-11-2009, 09:07 PM
I get the feeling that an opposing coach would rather prepare for ONE all american than 4 players whom can score 20 a game on a given night.

FuManShoes
03-12-2009, 02:21 AM
I get the feeling that an opposing coach would rather prepare for ONE all american than 4 players whom can score 20 a game on a given night.

How many guys have scored 20 or more for the Zags this year? Offhand I think it's been 6: Pargo, Josh, Micah, Matt, Steven & Austin. Lower it to 15 and you can add Andrew and maybe Ira. Amazing indeed. If the defense stays stout, they keep the TOs and fouls to a minimum and a couple guys are hot each game, the Zags should be fine. It's simple, really :)

kitzbuel
03-12-2009, 06:40 AM
That leaves the Zags.

Yes, the same Bulldogs that were humbled at home by Memphis last month and lost four of five in Dec. to mostly NCAA tournament teams (Portland State doesn’t count). Those same Zags that just clinched their 11th straight NCAA tournament berth by destroying bubblicious Saint Mary’s in the WCC tourney finale.

Why doesn't Portland State count? :confused:

TheBunnieRancher
03-12-2009, 07:06 AM
Has anyone noticed yet that they are in the dance again? :lmao:

ZagManFan
03-12-2009, 07:22 AM
I hope Portland St. draws Duke in the first round and wins.:D Maybe then they will count.

KOzag08
03-12-2009, 07:36 AM
I feel like it is in the NCAA's best interest that the Zags get a good draw. America still remembers Gonzaga being the darling of the country just 10 years ago. we have established a program that everyone loves to root for (unless your team is in the WCC, then you hate us). People around the country like to watch the Zags and like to see them win. So ... If the Zags make a deep run, people WILL watch. CBS ratings go up, and the NCAA gets more money.

America likes to watch the Zags
CBS gets more money
NCAA gets more money

Why do they keep screwing us again???

MedZag
03-12-2009, 07:59 AM
we have established a program that everyone loves to root for (unless your team is in the WCC, then you hate us). People around the country like to watch the Zags and like to see them win. So ... If the Zags make a deep run, people WILL watch. CBS ratings go up, and the NCAA gets more money.

Honestly, I think opinion of the Zags nationwide is more Duke-ish than lovable little cutty fuzzy wuzzy Cinderella these days. A lot of people are sick of hearing about us and think we haven't done squat in recent history to warrant the attention.

But you're right about one thing... People watch the Zags. They have a rooting interest in the team, one way or the other.