PDA

View Full Version : The taint is gone!

theirishzag03
03-11-2009, 01:45 PM
Well, at least I hope so. Judging by the new found respect regarding "bracketology" and seeding. The folks who claimed St. Mary's was the better team with Mills, and with him they would have won had he not been injured before and would beat us in the tourney seemed to have realized they were wrong.

Although, Patty was icing his wrist during the game, so I am sure some still find some taint if they look hard enough!

HOOTER
03-11-2009, 03:04 PM
The taint that never truly existed in the first place is now officially nonexistant.

Zageist
03-11-2009, 03:10 PM
I guess I don't understand this taint thing. Are all of GUs losses tainted because a low post presence (Sacre) was hurt? How about last year when Josh was hurting and not 100% does St. Mary's feel their victory was tainted? Basketball is a team game, played on the floor. SMC's team wasn't better - when it mattered - period. Anyway, give Patty his 18+ points and they still lose.

CDC84
03-11-2009, 03:35 PM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2009/mar/10/bulldogs-slap-back/

You couldn’t not hear it,” said Gonzaga’s Jeremy Pargo, who has matched up with Mills for two years now. “You had no choice if you turned on the TV. It frustrates you to hear people on TV say that Saint Mary’s is flat out better than us.“It was a slap in the face.”

“People forget, he was 0 for 8 on 2s in our place in the first half,” he (Few) said, “and I hear (ESPN analyst) Jay Bilas wax on about how they would have won. He hit six 3s, but at that time he (came in) shooting 30 percent from 3 and we weren’t playing him as a shooter. He’s a dangerous driver and a one-man fast break and we defended that well in Spokane – and why at halftime we felt pretty good.” The Zags trailed by six at halftime in that game. Didn’t the same Gonzaga team come from nine down with 18 minutes left to beat Tennessee in Knoxville, and from nine down to beat Oklahoma State? Aren’t either of those teams arguably better than the Gaels? Why did it become such a certainty the Zags wouldn’t have made the necessary adjustment?

snebzag
03-11-2009, 07:54 PM
"Taint" has become a silly phrase for something possibly not absolute. It's just a thing.

As far as SMC. They played nobody. SDSU was their biggest win. The best team they played was Gonzaga. Lost all three. Enough said. SMC is not that good. A lot of people hype them, hoping they make the dance for the sake of the conference. I'll say it again. They are not that good. They have three decent players, but don't schedule aggressive enough to move up in the WCC. They run into a great team like the Zags and lose. Just they way I feel about SMC.

theirishzag03
03-11-2009, 08:02 PM
I NEVER was a member of the groups who thought our win was tainted! I for one was pi--ed when he got hurt. I knew it wouldn't feel as good beating them and their excuses. It felt soooo good to destroy them in LV.

snebzag
03-11-2009, 08:15 PM
I know Irish you were not a member of that group. I don't think there was a group. It was a question that escalated into numerous threads. I don't think there ever exsists a taint unless the officials screw up. Other than that it is up to the players left on the court in any game.

My main point is I don't think SMC is all that good. I really don't. They played only one good team all year. Lost em all. I loved the WCC tourney. Total domination. Made a statement.