PDA

View Full Version : We Need a Reporter for the Men's Banquet

mendiant
03-11-2009, 11:37 AM
I'm pretty sure someone out there is going to the men's banquet this Friday.

I'm recruiting volunteers who would be so kind as to gather their thoughts on the occasion as well as any pics and post them to the board afterward...

Lots of us would appreciate your thoughts and impressions.

PLEASE :D

Thanks for your support.

mendiant

ZagSlug
03-11-2009, 12:08 PM
If you would like to fly me up there I would love to take some pics.

If you get a better offer I will understand......sniff....sniff.

BroncoZAG615
03-11-2009, 02:39 PM
We're hoping to get someone there from The Slipper Still Fits (http://www.slipperstillfits.com/) to take some pictures and report on the event. It should be a great time, we'll keep you all posted...

mendiant
03-12-2009, 05:27 PM
Bumping to nag those going :)

TheZagPhish
03-12-2009, 06:15 PM
If I don't have a ticket and volunteer, do I get to go for free? And drink? And chew the fat with the fellas?

I take EXCELLENT photos, btw. Oh! And I can write a line or two. I use more commas than Ernest freaking Hemingway - that should count for something.

Did I win?

mendiant
03-13-2009, 09:49 AM
If I don't have a ticket and volunteer, do I get to go for free? And drink? And chew the fat with the fellas?

I take EXCELLENT photos, btw. Oh! And I can write a line or two. I use more commas than Ernest freaking Hemingway - that should count for something.

Did I win?

In a perfect world...:D

RenoZag
03-14-2009, 08:41 AM
Any word on the banquet in the local funny pages ?

LynetteG
03-14-2009, 08:53 AM
Any word on the banquet in the local funny pages ?

looking right now for you Reno

nope, nada.

Front page SMU vs EWU and Spokane Chiefs. Blanchette column on the Chiefs. Page 5 "Rally for naught" UDub loses to ASU. Trojans upset Bruins. Tar Heels nip VTU. Page 6+ scores and classifieds.

IdahoZagFan
03-14-2009, 08:36 PM
The Senior Banquet was a lot of fun. The Seniors were terrific! Also, the other players and the coaches were great!

There were probably about 60 tables of 8 persons each. The audience consisted of every age group with many children and young persons in attendance.

The evening began with a social time while the guests were gathering. The first thing on the program was an introduction of each of the players, who walked out individually and took their places at the head table. The Seniors were introduced last and were seated in the middle near the podium.

The players went through the line to get their food first. When they finished eating, they went out among the crowd. They were very generous with the signing of autographs and posing for pictures. (The most popular autograph items were basketballs, t-shirts, and programs; the most unusual was a super sized tennis shoe.)

After dinner, Mark Few gave the "Coach's Address." He thanked the players and the fans.

Next was a "Senior Video Presentation," which was produced courtesy of North by Northwest. Cleverly done, it started with "highlights" by each of the Seniors and then featured statements by their teammates about the Seniors.

Finally it was time for the Seniors to speak and give their "farewell." Each was introduced by a coach - Coach Krause/Andrew Sorenson; Coach Giacoletti/Ira Brown; Coach Lloyd/Micah Downs; Coach Rice/Josh Heytvelt; Coach Few/Jeremy Pargo. The Seniors - each in his own style - thanked their coaches, teammates, the staff (especially trainers and academic), the supporters, family, etc.

After the close, the players and coaches again made themselves available for autographs and photos. They were still there when we left.

Now, for some random thoughts. Judd Heathcote was there. Josh had a lot of family there - what a good looking group they were. Ira's older brother came from Texas - no mistaking their relationship. Jeremy took some teasing for his love of cheeseburgers. All said that Micah had grown since arriving at G.U. Also, all said that Andrew is always optimistic. Austin got "busted" for texting while at the head table - he was sentenced to some running at the next practice; later, Matt Bouldin was "outed" for the same offense. Coach Rice had some fun with Rob Sacre as a ladies' man. Will is SOOOOO tall! Tommy Lloyd said that coaching was addicting. Mark Few eloquently spoke about each of the Seniors; he outlined the challenges facing a point guard at G.U. when he follows Stockton, Santangelo, Stepp, Dickau, and Ravio - he turned to Meech and and asked if he'd heard that which produced some laughter - before noting Jeremy's successes (4 WCC Championships and 4 NCAAs, etc.) and introducing Jeremy. We saw Matt Santangelo, David Pendergraft, and Brian Mickelson there (there may have been others that we didn't see).

All in all, the players seemed to be upbeat and happy and so did the coaches.

In conclusion, WE ARE MIGHTY LUCKY, FOLKS, TO HAVE THE OUTSTANDING COACHES AND THESE FINE YOUNG BASKETBALL PLAYERS - they are fantastic people, good at what they do both on the court and off. Congratulations for the successes thus far! GO ZAGS!

RenoZag
03-14-2009, 08:41 PM
Thanks for a great report, IdahoZagFan

Radbooks
03-14-2009, 09:24 PM
Thanks for sharing, IdahoZagFan!

mendiant
03-15-2009, 10:57 AM
Great report Idaho, many thanks...

Observations, they've changed the format from years past, for the better, I think.

All of the banquets that I have attended have had no dias format, IE coaches and players tables on the floor up front. Glad to hear that there is a long table at the podium, makes more sense.

I like the sense that there is more of a formal time for players and coaches to interact with supporters and fans.

One thing you didn't mention, Idaho...how was the food? :D

lawzag
03-15-2009, 11:54 AM
Mendi - the food was great - london broil & salmon steaks, baby asperigus with a cheesy bacon sauce, spinich salad with berries & a rasberry vinegret & the best cheesecake ever. wine at the tables was plentiful.

I had the good fortune to be assigned to fill the Magnuson family table with Judd Heathcote. His wife Beverly is adorable (in a sweet little old lady way). Spent quite some time picking Judd's brain about his morning conversations with Few, his thoughts on how far GU will probably go in the tourney, etc. He added some random thoughts about NCAA seading & had some very positive comments about Jay Bilas, says the guy is very knowledgeable about basketball & Judd likes him alot.

One thing Idahozag forgot to mention was that during Jeremy's "farewell" speech, the said a special thank you to his "future wife, Kelli." ... I did not know Jeremy was engaged, so that came as a surprise to me.

Also, of all the boys there, Bouldin was definitely the most genuinely enjoying hugging fans & posing for pictures, etc. Although all the boys were very gracious about it, you could tell some of them were 'uncomfortable'.

And folks, now you know 'the rest of the story' :)

Proudzagmom
03-15-2009, 12:22 PM
Mendi - the food was great - london broil & salmon steaks, baby asperigus with a cheesy bacon sauce, spinich salad with berries & a rasberry vinegret & the best cheesecake ever. wine at the tables was plentiful.

One thing Idahozag forgot to mention was that during Jeremy's "farewell" speech, the said a special thank you to his "future wife, Kelli." ... I did not know Jeremy was engaged, so that came as a surprise to me.

:)

Lawzag:
I'm sure you were joking, but my parents believed that Jeremy was engaged after he said that in his speech. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Jeremy was joking. I'm 99% sure of it. He was just very grateful to her.

rawkmandale
03-15-2009, 01:01 PM
I guess I can add a few observations not made in these excellent reports. I too was Blessed to be seated with a bunch of interesting people, including Chuck Murphy, the 30-year Vice President for Finance at GU (great guy), a young couple Dennis and Deanna (sp?) Kalina - Dennis being an Associate Athletic Director for Development (they came here a couple of years ago from Indiana), a pair of Annis brothers (one of whom was a co-founder of local law firm Lukins and Annis), and Jonas and Jean - Jonas being a retired top manager of Travis Pattern and Foundry. One of the best things about this event is meeting some really interesting people.

Regarding the program, it may not have been reported that the MCs were Jay and Kevin from KDRK. The program began with an invocation delivered by Father Hightower, who later confided in me that he is adamantly opposed to the red jerseys, not due to performance in them, but due to spiritual connotations of the color. He thinks blue and white are the perfect colors for Gonzaga. Another interesting spiritual tidbit I picked up is that Ira Brown leads the team in prayer before each game. His Father is a pastor.

One of the most memorable things I heard was a story of how Andrew Sorenson’s Dad (impressive guy, in attendance with his wife and other son), has frequently over the years communicated (now via text, I assume) three important things for Andrew to keep in mind before every game:

1. Have fun
2. Do your best
3. Kick some butt

During the post-event chats, I tested many of the players on these points – driving home the message that the first item on the list is SO IMPORTANT. They agreed –of course, the challenge is to actually put it in practice, and avoid being tense and afraid to make mistakes.

I learned from Matt Bouldin that he is pretty close to Patty Mills, and they communicate frequently. Many of the players expressed that they hope St. Mary’s makes the field. I agree that many of the players find this event to be a little intimidating, but it has got to create lifetime memories for the seniors, as so much of the night is dedicated to them. I think Sorenson, Brown, Sacre, and Gray could have stayed all night though, and they were among the stragglers at the very end.

I was very impressed with Coach Few's comments about the players. He is clearly insightful, and a great communicator with high standards. I hope he stays another 30 years.

Dogtownkid
03-15-2009, 01:16 PM
The banquet just sounds great! I thought about going this year, but just didn't do it, and I really regret that. I'd love to have told those young men how much excitement and enjoyment the bring us. I will certainly be there next year.

rawkmandale
03-15-2009, 04:35 PM
Now that we're past eating, and into the anticipation of a possible great and historic run, let me remind the players and coaches:

1. Have Fun
2. Do your best
3. Kick some Zips butt