PDA

View Full Version : OT - Good Sportsmanship

former1dog
03-11-2009, 09:04 AM
What is "being a good sport" or demonstrating sportsmanship?

Do we as Gonzaga fans have these qualities in general?

Bulldoggie
03-11-2009, 11:57 AM
I don't know how to answer your question 1dpg. I think in general GU fans are good sports individually but sometimes the mob mentality sets in.

I was a little uncomfortable in Vegas when the overwhelmingly Zag supporters boo'd Bryant and Sanham during the player intro's. Booing the team as a whole when they enter the arena is one thing but to deride individuals was a little over the top, I thought.

Kiddwell
03-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Kiddwell roots, roots, roots for other WCC teams to win OOC games. Kiddwell was also a'twitter (had to see a doctor about that) last year when the WCC sent three teams to the Dance.

Kiddwell hopes-and-a-half that SMC gets an "at-large" invitation come Sunday's CBS bracketology show. (3:00 PM, West Coast time)

Kiddwell would say that the frequent contributions from Butler's folks and others lends to GUNation's sportmanship and, by extension, GU's.

On the other hand, when people say bad things about Omar Samhan (like, um, he's a "poor man's Mitch Henke") well, that's a bit brutal...:p

:]

zag944
03-11-2009, 01:11 PM
The Kennel Club has made fun of Jason Keep's DUI, Spencer Hawes getting dumped by his girlfriend in high school, Daniel Kickert's "homosexuality", and Mike Jensen's ear surgery in that last half dozen years or so. Once you chalk all that stuff up to "the charm of college basketball", yes, I think we are good sports.

theirishzag03
03-11-2009, 01:26 PM
I don't know how to answer your question 1dpg. I think in general GU fans are good sports individually but sometimes the mob mentality sets in.

I was a little uncomfortable in Vegas when the overwhelmingly Zag supporters boo'd Bryant and Sanham during the player intro's. Booing the team as a whole when they enter the arena is one thing but to deride individuals was a little over the top, I thought.

Samhan has hated GU for a long time. He has talked mad smack, flipped off our fans. So, I for one loved it! John Bryant got a nice round of applause when receiving his award. Other than handing out "Go Zags" poster to St Mary's fans... in need of "a winner" I was a good sport:)

hondo46
03-11-2009, 01:37 PM
I always watch the hand shakes after the game. Either our guys and the St. Mary's player are real good actors or there is a lot of genuine sportmanship, respect and comradery between these 2 teams. As fans we would miss out on half the fun of these game if we didn't get to know and enjoy our counterparts. St Mary's also has a wonderful group of dedicated and hard core fans
who are a lot of fun to be around. This tournanament at The Orleans allowed many of us to meet and enjoy the other guys.
I've been to most of the WCC tournaments and this was by far the best for many reason.

mendiant
03-11-2009, 01:52 PM
I remember a kid from St Mary's who came to Spokane for their game here.

He had a sign that said "Turi-awful".

I thought it was great that he came all this way, with his little sign...

A lot of other fans appreciated him too...he had this strange relationship with the Kennel Club during the game, he really enjoyed being taunted by them...even after St Mary's lost.

So long as the rivalries remain good natured, like siblings teasing eachother, I see no harm in a little dissing.

Trash thrown on the court, flipping birds, that kind of stuff is out of line.

I think mostly, we are all pretty good.

but we all have our lapses in judgement sometimes.

FlagZag
03-11-2009, 02:32 PM
I'm not sure its a sportsmanship issue but the dreaded "OVER RATED" chant reared its ugly head in the Santa Clara game. Since they are not even rated can they be "over rated"? Secondly, as has been previously mentioned on this forum, the chant really diss's your own team by assuming the reason the Zags are winning is because the other team is over rated and not because we are playing great ball. I'm hopeful that the KC retires this cheer once and for all because, well....it's over rated. In all other aspects we are the best fans in the world, edging out European soccer fans.

Zagsker
03-11-2009, 02:36 PM
I'm not sure its a sportsmanship issue but the dreaded "OVER RATED" chant reared its ugly head in the Santa Clara game.

I got the impression that it was directed towards Bryant...as far as him being overrated as it purtains to winning the POTY

Das Zagger
03-11-2009, 02:52 PM
I think overall GU fans are good sports. But there are exceptions, as there are in every fan base, of people taking it too far. There was some GU "fan" at the tourney who kept running his mouth to Mills' parents and other SMC fans, it was pretty embarrassing.

And if that "fan" posts on this site, I just want to let you know that if you're going to talk trash don't do it while wearing a leather fanny pack, thanks.

Robzagnut
03-11-2009, 03:19 PM
Samhan has hated GU for a long time. He has talked mad smack, flipped off our fans.

I wonder if HamSandwich now hates Las Vegas as much as he hates Spokane?

theirishzag03
03-11-2009, 03:22 PM
What I heard was "UNDER-RATED", maybe I am wrong, it was pretty loud. But I could swear, and was yelling right along with Under rated!

Viva Gonzaga!!!

freezer12
03-11-2009, 04:21 PM
I got the impression that it was directed towards Bryant...as far as him being overrated as it purtains to winning the POTY

This was definitely the case as I heard it when Bryant was at the free throw line. Not the classiest chant in the world, but honestly, as a proponent of college basketball atmosphere, I didn't really have a problem with it.

Pargo the Destroyer
03-11-2009, 04:31 PM
Talking smack with a fanny pack.......I'm pretty sure That constitutes a revocation of the man card, not so well played Fanny Pack Guy.....

I think overall GU fans are good sports. But there are exceptions, as there are in every fan base, of people taking it too far. There was some GU "fan" at the tourney who kept running his mouth to Mills' parents and other SMC fans, it was pretty embarrassing.

And if that "fan" posts on this site, I just want to let you know that if you're going to talk trash don't do it while wearing a leather fanny pack, thanks.

Fonebone
03-11-2009, 04:48 PM
What Hondo said about the players after the game is right. I always watch that also. What I generally see, and did see this in both Vegas games, was that the stars on each team, the ones that compete the most fiercely and directlyl in some ways, are the most demonstrative of respect for each other after the games. For example, Bryant and Josh hugged, as did Pargo and Mills. A star like Sandham, Mills, Bryant, Diamond Simpson, will not really hug all of our guys, but generally they will give a real hug to our stars. I have always assumed it is a level of respect that they have for each other, and that they players have a more mature perspective of their roles in a GAME than a lot of fans do. I don't think that most top tier college players hate each other, I think very few do. They do see eachother over the years at various events, AAU leagues etc.

former1dog
03-11-2009, 05:00 PM
I don't think that most top tier college players hate each other, I think very few do. They do see eachother over the years at various events, AAU leagues etc.

What you'll find amongst student athletes is not only respect for their fellow competitors but genuine admiration.

A long time ago in my student athlete days I held my competition in the highest regard even if I wanted to beat the snot out of them within competition. I knew what they had been through to get to that level of competition and any normal individual HAS TO admire that kind of dedication and desire.

NorthWestZag
03-11-2009, 05:45 PM
I can say that I ran into Diamon Simpson's mother after the game (as many Zags did), and she is the nicest lady you will ever meet. I felt really bad SMC lost, but all the GU fans were a class act after the game.

But during the game, yes us students chanted "NIT" and so forth. Of course we are going to.

jim77
03-11-2009, 05:58 PM
I can say that I ran into Diamon Simpson's mother after the game (as many Zags did), and she is the nicest lady you will ever meet. I felt really bad SMC lost, but all the GU fans were a class act after the game.

But during the game, yes us students chanted "NIT" and so forth. Of course we are going to.

Its guys like Diamon Simpson that I hope get to "dance"..... That kid plays his heart out every game. Even if I didn't care for ST Mary's (I like them) guys like Simpson deserve to be on the national stage....Now go fix those freethrows!!!!! More arc!!!!! I also respect the energy Samhan brings....minus the "finger".

Zag4Hire
03-11-2009, 06:54 PM
I think there are different definitions but if you are watching the Seton Hall/'Cuse game, this game does not have the element of 'sportsmanship'.

BMAN
03-11-2009, 07:23 PM
I talked to both Mills and Sandham at the airport on Tuesday. I was wearing a GU hat so they knew I was a Gonzaga fan. I asked Mills about his wrist and he showed me the swelling . It was pretty bad. I told him that I was sorry about the injury and realized the score would have been a lot closer if he was healthy. He said "thank you for saying that. I appreciate it."

Late I ran into Sandham pushing a baby in a stroller. I asked him if it was his kid and he said no thank God. It is a coaches child. I said I felt bad that his team was not healthy for the game. He said "Gonzaga also had injuries (he must have meant Sacre) and it is just part of the game. You need to play through those and we didn't do a good job but I appreciate your comments."

Both of those guys were class acts. I was very impressed and will be cheering for them to get into the tournament.

FlagZag
03-12-2009, 08:13 AM
Apparently the "Over Rated" cheer was actually "Over Weighted". Clever and funny KC. Keep it up.