PDA

View Full Version : Poll: With what we know, where will we be seeded?



tyra
03-10-2009, 09:49 PM
With what we know right now, where do you think we will be seeded?

MedZag
03-10-2009, 09:51 PM
I think if the comittee met tomorrow, we'd be a 4.

Still have a hunch we'll land a 4.

But the BCS tourneys have a way of sucking up a lot of press in coming week, and there WILL be shakeups, bounces, and falls in seeding.

Reborn
03-10-2009, 10:08 PM
I'm changing my earlier opinion (which was a 5 a month or two ago), as well as last weeks opinion (a 3 seed. I was too emotional at the time) to a #4 seed. The reason I am changing is that the Zags have shown me that they are playing quite a bit better than I even imagined. They were pretty impressive this weekend. I think the fact that we've only lost one game since January will really help get a good seed. We desrve a 4 seed because it assures us that we will be in Portland or Boise, and that's what we deserve. This Zag team started out great, had some road bumps along the way which helped us get better. We are back playing at least as well as we were at the beginning of the year when we were in 5th I think in the polls. We could be there again I think. I believe we will finish in the top 10 which is where we should be.

The only thing that keeps us from a 3 seed I think is our weak conference, especially without Mills and Johnson (San Diego). Santa Clara was a solid team this year, and last year we barely beat them in the conference tournament. We beat them by 35 or 40 this year.

gu03alum
03-10-2009, 10:09 PM
There is no option for 1 seed.

FieldHouseFishHouse
03-10-2009, 10:45 PM
I think a 50% chance at a 5 seed. 25% chance for 4 or 6. Side prediction: If the Zags get a 4, SMC gets a 12. If Zags get a 6, SMC gets a home game in the NIT.

Reborn
03-11-2009, 06:44 AM
I know I voted for a #4 seed but honestly, I believe we should be a #3 seed if the Huskies do not win the PAC 10 tournament, which they won't do, imo. Of all the rankings that exist today, I like Ken Pomeroy's the best. In his rankings Gonzaga is #5 in the Nation, ahead of both UW #14 and UCLA #7. I also feel the Pac 10 is a lot stronger conference then it is given. Ken Pom clearly agrees. The Pac 10, according to Ken Pom should have 6 teams in the NCAA and Not 5. It's really hard for me to accept Lunardi's bracketology where he gives the Big 10 eight frickin teams in the tournament.

Ken Pomeroys sysem also favors teams that lose close games against quality opponents over teams that slaughter teams who really aren't ranked that high. This is exactly how I feel about Gonzaga's losses. We lost to UCONN in overtime on a neutral court. We lost to ARIZONA by 5, Utah by 1 on their home court. These were not bad losses at all. Gonzaga could have easily won all three of those games. Portland St. was a bad loss but they also beat the UW (I think).

Gonzaga has the #1 strength of schedule for non conference games over all the top 20 teams. We have the 2nd (tied) toughest strength of schedule overall. Memphis has the #1. Gonzaga has the 6th highest overall ranking for offense and the 10th for defense. These statistics are all higher than any pac 10 team.

I believe that a factor that will truly help Gonzaga in the NCAA tournament is our strength of schedule in non conference games, and the fact that GU has played so many games away from home, and most of which were on neutral courts. AS has been mentioned, most BIS schools do not do this, and as we've seen this year, most of these schools lose on the road this year. We all know that playing and winning on the road is very very difficult no matter what conference you play in. So being undefeated in conference play I believe is a big statistic. And there are only two teams who had undefeated play in conference and that is Memphis and GU. And Memphis is going to be a #1 seed I think, and are ranked #1 on Ken Pom.

I believe that Gonzaga is the best team in the West and should be treated like it. One thing I heard yesterday by an analyst of bracketology was that when they first go through the rankings of teams they DO NOT look at which conference they play in. I think that could help Gonzaga.

ZagLawGrad
03-11-2009, 08:42 AM
I don't see how we get less than a #4 with the blowout of SMC. A #3 is probably not in the cards, and we can thank the the rest of a fairly weak WCC for that.

UberZagFan
03-11-2009, 11:54 AM
I think a 50% chance at a 5 seed. 25% chance for 4 or 6.

Uber thinks that is pretty spot on.

IrishZagFan
03-11-2009, 01:41 PM
Uber thinks that is pretty spot on.

Irish agrees with Uber.... (what else is new?)

MississppiZag
03-11-2009, 02:01 PM
5% chance we snag a 3 seed, 95% chance we get a 4 seed.

The 3 seed is only obtainable if Washington loses their first game in the conference tourney. I don't see that happening. Doesn't mean I won't be rooting for it. I would be surprised if we were given a 5, but a 6 will not happen.

NotoriousZ
03-11-2009, 03:01 PM
More pure speculation for entertainment purposes only: I think a 3 seed is not out of the question, and as I'm a hopeless optimist, I would have voted for such if it were an option. Here's my breakdown (remember pure speculation):

3 seed 10%
4 seed 65%
5 seed 20%
6 seed 5% -- I double dog dare the committee to hang us with a six!

KOzag08
03-11-2009, 03:32 PM
I want the #3 seed in Portland or the 4 seed in in Boise. Either way, I just want it to be in the West Bracket. We go 26-5, undefeated in conference play, and blowout teams in our tourney. Don't we at least deserve this much!?

johnwzag
03-11-2009, 03:35 PM
More pure speculation for entertainment purposes only: I think a 3 seed is not out of the question, and as I'm a hopeless optimist, I would have voted for such if it were an option. Here's my breakdown (remember pure speculation):

3 seed 10%
4 seed 65%
5 seed 20%
6 seed 5% -- I double dog dare the committee to hang us with a six!


JWZ agrees

kclubfounder
03-11-2009, 03:55 PM
I also agree with the notorious one.

zagking
03-11-2009, 04:05 PM
4 in boise would be close to ideal